Sponsored

how to jack truck to put it on jack stands.

Decayed

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
yes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a car
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Unibody cars with pinch wield or lift points make it difficult to put the larger 2+ ton jacks along with their jack stands underneath. Usually not enough room with them side by side.

I get to have joy of lifting the vehicle for the first time swapping from Winters to All-Seasons.

The included jack should only be used in emergencies, IMO, and not for regularly changing the tire over or maintenance. Even with dedicated jack and stands hearing the creaks can make your ass pucker.
My brother in law wrecked his volvo's scissors jack by putting in on the wrong spot at an angle. They are made from stamped sheet metal and designed to work only in the correct position. The thing crumpled up and I had to bring my shop jack out to change his flat.

I don't trust them at all.
Sponsored

Sagara

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
My brother in law wrecked his volvo's scissors jack by putting in on the wrong spot at an angle. They are made from stamped sheet metal and designed to work only in the correct position. The thing crumpled up and I had to bring my shop jack out to change his flat.

I don't trust them at all.
I believe someone on this forum said their jack failed when the threads ended up getting chewed up when lifting their vehicle. Can't remember if it was a catastrophic failure or it stripped with the tires still on the ground.

Bottle jack is technically safer, but, I find them hard to use on vehicles with pinch wield lifting points (some have a slot not all).

Decayed

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
yes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a car
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I believe someone on this forum said their jack failed when the threads ended up getting chewed up when lifting their vehicle. Can't remember if it was a catastrophic failure or it stripped with the tires still on the ground.

Bottle jack is technically safer, but, I find them hard to use on vehicles with pinch wield lifting points (some have a slot not all).
Well you have to get one with a slot or get one of those rubber things.

I make a point of testing these things. I also mark the correct jack point on the pinch weld with a shot of yellow spray paint. After getting stuck changing a tire at night in cold rain and not being able to see under the car, I am motivated to make sure I know what to do and how to do it in an emergency.

Mavonorder

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camry
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
You can try them but I wouldn't count on them staying solid. Since this truck is a unibody, pushing up in the center of it may just pull the sides together a bit, I am pretty sure that Ford wants the pinch weld used for a reason.
I was discussing my mav and using a floor jack in various locations under the truck with a friend, and he pointed out safe jack locations are places capable of supporting the weight of the vehicle "towards the ground" since lifting the truck is pushing the "weight force" towards the sky (i.e., if the jack point part/location can withstand force downward, it can withstand equal force upward).

billbillw

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Maverick Lariat FX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Personally, I would never use the scissor jack for anything but a roadside emergency. They are not meant to be repeatedly used for maintenance. Buy a decent quality hydraulic floor jack with at least 18" lifting and at least 3 tons capacity, get a hockey puck, and lift from where the suspension bolts to the subframe. Those are typically some of the strongest spots on the vehicle. If you have AWD, you can lift the rear from the differential and get two sides at once. I've lifted various unibody vehicles from those spots repeatedly over years and never had an issue. One good jack will last you a lifetime of maintaining cars.

Sponsored

JP4AZ

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Hybrid MAV, 04 Dakota 4x4, 02 Lexus, 03 V-Rod +
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Personally, I would never use the scissor jack for anything but a roadside emergency. They are not meant to be repeatedly used for maintenance. Buy a decent quality hydraulic floor jack with at least 18" lifting and at least 3 tons capacity, get a hockey puck, and lift from where the suspension bolts to the subframe. Those are typically some of the strongest spots on the vehicle. If you have AWD, you can lift the rear from the differential and get two sides at once. I've lifted various unibody vehicles from those spots repeatedly over years and never had an issue. One good jack will last you a lifetime of maintaining cars.
I just lifted my truck up to change out the stock tires. I used the red circled locations (earlier in the post) to jack the front with a floor jack, No problems whatsoever!. The rear, I put the floor jack under the silver arms near the rear hub (can see them is the same photo as the red circles) also had no trouble with that location. The OP could raise the vehicle from those locations and put the jack stands under the pinch welds. There is a small arrow on the black plastic showing the location on the pinch weld to place the jack or jackstand. I hope that was clear enough.
Ford Maverick how to jack truck to put it on jack stands. 1686079371650

Jah.

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jah.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick xlt fx4 , Honda 700 ctx mc
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Personally l would never lift using the differential pumpkin because many are made of stamp steel instead of cast metal now days . use slotted rubber puck on hydraulic jack using pinch welds .

paneubert

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 XL/4K/AWD/CoPilot/CactusG/SlidingRearWindow
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
As others have said (and I might have commented earlier in the life of this fairly well aged thread), it is not tough to jack it on or near the pinch weld location that Ford claims is "the spot" while also putting a jack stand in there. Just jack it up and then slap a jack stand next to the jack as close as you can get it and then lower it. Doesn't need to be perfect. As long as you are within a couple inches of the Ford approved "arrows" on the welds, you are fine. I usually do one side at a time. Drivers front and rear tires, then passenger front and rear. If I am feeling fancy, I jack it slightly to one side of the "arrow" and then the jack stand ends up either on or just to the opposite side of the arrow.

OP
OP

psuarmy

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I actually got a great deal on a spreader bar from harbor freight. I put the one side right next to the pinch weld and I can get both tires up. I was originally just worried about bending a pinch weld. I just didn't know. Now that I do, there isn't a problem.

billbillw

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Maverick Lariat FX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Personally l would never lift using the differential pumpkin because many are made of stamp steel instead of cast metal now days . use slotted rubber puck on hydraulic jack using pinch welds .
That don't look stamped to me...
Ford Maverick how to jack truck to put it on jack stands. ford-bronco-sport-maverick-dana-twin-clutch-rear-drive-unit

Sponsored

VRausch

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT EB 4K Tow
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
That don't look stamped to me...
ford-bronco-sport-maverick-dana-twin-clutch-rear-drive-unit.jpg
:p That's cause no one makes a differential housing out of sheet metal. The standard diff covers, sure, but you don't lift anyhting by the cover anyways. No one makes a carrier case out of anything that would flex from just a jack as it's fail under load long before lifting it could do any damage.

scotty

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
dodge caravan
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I feel like we are talking in circles and I am sorry. My confusion came from the fact you are able to get your jack and a jack stand in together in the same spot. I tried and was unable to. Next time I need to I will try a different way to see if I can get them in at the same time. Thank you for your help.
I agree with you, I was under the truck yesterday. No one is quite answering the question you proposed. If you jack up the truck on the specified pinch welds (however the arrow points to a pinch weld that is 2 layers, just about a inch away there is a three layers pinch weld, that is where the arrow you have been directed at in my opinion), then how you going to get the jacks stands to that location that the jack is located at? Did you get an answer or find how to do it?

scotty

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
dodge caravan
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Is it possible to weasel under a hybrid and change the oil without lifting it?
i just got maverick today, got under it. i'm 155 lbs, 6 feet. i can get under it and still had a bit of room.
you can jack the truck up without moving the tire off ground to get a bit more clearance

scotty

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
dodge caravan
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Well you have to get one with a slot or get one of those rubber things.

I make a point of testing these things. I also mark the correct jack point on the pinch weld with a shot of yellow spray paint. After getting stuck changing a tire at night in cold rain and not being able to see under the car, I am motivated to make sure I know what to do and how to do it in an emergency.
good idea about the paints. i looked at jack points that are found with the arrows. interesting,
the arrows point directly to the 2 layers of pinch weld, instead of the 3 layers of pinch metal that is about a 1/2 inch away from where arrow points at, which is the 2 layers of pinch weld.
wouldn't it be better to jack at the 3 layers?

scotty

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
dodge caravan
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I actually got a great deal on a spreader bar from harbor freight. I put the one side right next to the pinch weld and I can get both tires up. I was originally just worried about bending a pinch weld. I just didn't know. Now that I do, there isn't a problem.
i searched spreader bar at harbour freight to see what it looks like, nothing appeared
Sponsored