Sponsored

fourwheelsandadream

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
I disagree, at least from a financial standpoint. For example, we drove the Prius 236,000 miles. Let’s say we got 3 MPG less over those miles:

236,000 at 47 MPG = 5,021 gallons at $3.50 per gallon is $17,574

236,000 at 44 MPG = 5,363 gallons at $3.50 per gallon is $18,772.

$1,200 just by learning how to drive a Hybrid as it is designed to optimize fuel economy. I’ll choose that every time.

(fuel prices based on what it was and the insane prices today!)
Average amount of driving a year is 14k miles... 236k miles averages out to 16 years of ownership. So essentially you're saving $75 bucks a year. It's definitely some savings but not a ton
Sponsored

TE37Mav

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Me: hey forum readers, here are some ways to get better fuel efficiency with your Maverick Hybrid

haters/trolls: blah blah MPG poo poo blah blah MPG blah poo blah blah
Lol. Exactly. Seems like the majority have selective reading too. You post this if you want to get better mpg not you must drive the hybrid like this.
Use ac and heat when necessary to “Save” mpg. Everyone Say don’t use a ac In the summer. 🙄.

Last edited:

OTACORB

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
DAB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick Oxford White Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
This is my first Hybrid and I've definitely had to adjust my driving habits a little bit. Right now my life time average is right at 40mpg. This is with me running my ac and heat. I am not going to be uncomfortable in order to gain a couple of MPG.

The info by the OP is good info just apply it where you see it will fit for you and let it fly where it won't. I think my breakdown has been around 50/50 for highway and city. I do coast a lot when the speed limits change to lower in all these little split tail towns I drive through. It does help a lot. I just think the difference is we monitor it now whereas with a gas engine you just drove.

Last edited:

CoryDallas8123

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi A4, Chevy Chevelle SS, 2022 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I’m replacing a car that gets 22-24. If I can get 32-34 I’d be as happy as a hog in slop. I’m gonna drive like normal and not worry too much about maximizing mpg. Good notes for those that want to get the max MPG though. 👍🏻

Sponsored

Cubican

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Pedro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ridgeline, viper, c8
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
On the 24k mile average I posted it was running the ac or heat I’m in texas so it gets hot fast down here life time 43.8 mpg

TCK

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jetta Sportwagen
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I agree but on the maverick if your using it around town the regular mode works as well as eco once I get on the expressway eco is a must. I have 24k on the hybrid and the life time meter is showing 43.9 aver on 24k miles
Wait- you already have 24k on a hybrid Mav?

19mustang65

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pinti
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Or you can just drive it like you would a normal vehicle and it should still return very good fuel economy by design. I don't like to overthink it. Some people have fun with it, but I'm not into that.
What kind of mileage are you getting?
I've been in eco driving as gently as I can and am at 40.5 mpgs. I thought bid be getting 45ish. All city 0 highway.

Cubican

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Pedro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ridgeline, viper, c8
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Wait- you already have 24k on a hybrid Mav?
Actually I have 9 mavericks all hybrids for my business my firt one just hit 24k the other ones are around 10k now not a single problem I did have a eco but just doesn’t compare to the hybrid the eco average 19-22 the mave a solid 42-43 on all of them

hooliganmom

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Sarah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My husband kind of pooh poohed having a hybrid at first, but now it's a game to him to get the best mpg he can while still having fun. So for him, it's the smooth breaking that he likes to do. Me....I follow all of the tips shown above to try to get the best mpg. This is my third hybrid.

Sponsored

Hdang1980

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
This North Carolinian (and sometimes OH) agrees with TX and CA. Wait until deep summer kicks in and then say don’t use your AC.
I'm in Northern California, Sacramento region and I always try to drive with the windows down. The springs here are lovely but yeah, heading into summer when it remains 90+ degrees at midnight, A/C is totally necessary.

Great tips from the OP though. This is my first truck and first hybrid. I've been experimenting on how to get better mileage. I've only had the truck since Wednesday night. I've noticed no matter how slow I start from a stop, the hybrid engine will kick in, however if I get up to speed and a little over then throttle down a bit, electric mode kicks in everytime.

Cubican

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Pedro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ridgeline, viper, c8
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
What kind of mileage are you getting?
I've been in eco driving as gently as I can and am at 40.5 mpgs. I thought bid be getting 45ish. All city 0 highway.
If your doing just city stuff leave it on normal mode and be carful on your foot and see what you get if I’m in city only I’m averaging 48 mpg remember to lift of the gas pedal to knock it into battery mode

Guardian

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Smartcar,Alfa Romeo Spyder,Pontiac GTO,Taurus SHO
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

What octane level do you pros recommend?

Zotman

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat Lux Hybrid, Focus
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
And don't fail to draft semis on the highway for an additional mpg boost!

Prostate Heaven

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
How to hypermile? However you want. Just don't do it in front of me. ;)

I'm all for driving sensibly and using strategies to improve fuel mileage.... some folks take it too far though. HURRY UP OR GET OUT THE WAY.
Sponsored