First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Perhaps some of you who have successfully hunted down the elusive, (and perhaps mythical), Ford Unicorn, (aka Maverick), by shopping around might enlighten us as to how that is done? Even rarer is to bag one of these beasts without having to pay thousands in markups. I can wait..(and wait, and wonder, and wait some more) for my order to be scheduled, produced, and shipped. Or... I can hope to get lucky with a little internet bush beating. For those that managed the seemingly impossible, regale us with the stories of your successful hunt. (and post a pic of your Unicorn.)
Sponsored

Bad Actor

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 Ranger XLT, 73 Mustang Base, 02 Toyota Camry
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Go on Ford.com and search the Maverick inventory. Expand the search to 100 miles from whatever zip code you input. You should see at least a couple. Look at the window stickers. Green are customer orders, blue are dealer stock. Call and inquire about the ones with blue window stickers. If nothing pans out, use the zip code of larger metropolitan areas that have more dealers. It takes a little work, but you can find one one. I am patiently waiting for mine because it is exactly what I want, but I have found several available at times in my area.

bighap

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Go on Ford.com and search the Maverick inventory. Expand the search to 100 miles from whatever zip code you input.
Better yet, go to the address bar and edit the spot that says search radius = 100 and change it to 500. That is the true max search radius using Ford's inventory search.

Ingland

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ellen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota RAV4 Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Go on Ford.com and search the Maverick inventory. Expand the search to 100 miles from whatever zip code you input. You should see at least a couple. Look at the window stickers. Green are customer orders, blue are dealer stock. Call and inquire about the ones with blue window stickers. If nothing pans out, use the zip code of larger metropolitan areas that have more dealers. It takes a little work, but you can find one one. I am patiently waiting for mine because it is exactly what I want, but I have found several available at times in my area.
Like this: https://shop.ford.com/inventory/mav...LARIAT&Order=HighPrice&fromPopularBuild=false

mr_M0J0rzn

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Agree with previous posts. My wife found mine by calling into fords 800 number and the rep searched a database for us. Iā€™m not sure if itā€™s the same database that we can search or not, but it did not have a range limit and gave information as to where the trucks were in the build process. Located one that fit the specs that were most important to me and I called the dealership to reserve it. Paid a $200 deposit and waited for delivery to the dealer. When I got word that the truck would arrive the next day, I booked a flight (the truck was in Columbus OH and I live in NC). I think if I hadnā€™t shown up the same day, the dealership would have entertained offers from others. I made the call in late November and picked up my truck in January. Iā€™m not gonna pretend I didnā€™t pay a markup ($2000 over sticker). It seems the lack of supply has only been highlighted in the months since, so Iā€™m not sure if this would still be an option.

Sponsored

Ingland

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ellen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota RAV4 Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm serious....Lariat Hybrid, Luxury Package....sitting there with a blue window sticker!

ThisWas

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid, 2021 RAV4 Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
RE: How to hunt unicorns?

I'd like to answer your question but I only have time to read the subject line.

First, you need to find a virgin...

Ford Maverick How to hunt unicorns? t1

Gray Shale

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Very cool tip to expand the search radius! Unfortunately I found the dealer inventory search to not be very current. I bought my truck off of a dealer lot in a small town in Illinois. It didn't show up in the inventory search until about 10 days after I purchased it. Maybe dealers use it as free marketing..

..STDriver03.. It was a fluke that I found mine. The stars were aligned perfectly and I thought it was my imagination to see it sitting on the lot. I waited 2 days before going back and it was still there.. Maybe just go on a tour of small towns..lol.

Kirbservice

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Kirby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Palisade; 2014 Accord; 2006 F250
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
RE: How to hunt unicorns?

I'd like to answer your question but I only have time to read the subject line.

First, you need to find a virgin...

t1.jpg
Which are also rare and suffer from commodity constraints.

Chicago Mike

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Shadow Black Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I found mine by being a pain in the ass pest to the three Ford dealers in El Paso. I went to each one and constantly pestered them for two weeks. I trolled their online customer service text services as well. I ended up getting a call that a hybrid lariat was coming on allocation and they would hold the paperwork for me until close of business. I guess I got pretty lucky based on most everyone else's situation.
I check each of our local dealers website weekly, and none of them even list Maverick as an option in new inventory. You can only join a waiting list. Dealer told me they might not see any allocation units until 2023 with the exception of a spattering of XLs.

Sponsored

LC48

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT, AWD, Carbonized Gray. Highlander Lim
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I did as @Bad Actor , expanded the search radius to 500 and then lined up several at a time and called the dealerships. I did have a couple lined up that when they arrived the dealers dropped the ADM bomb, so I moved I on. The dealer I went with had zero ADM and held the unit for my inspection with zero paperwork and zero down. I got a text picture on the morning it arrived, made my arrangements @ work and headed out 2.5 hrs each way so not terrible, deal took one hour including my test drive. I didn't even know the truck existed until a magazine article early in October, made the purchase on October 28th!

Happy hunting!!

if anyone in Texas or Oklahoma is looking for a dealer I highly recommend Holiday Ford in Whitesboro.......

LC48

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT, AWD, Carbonized Gray. Highlander Lim
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I did as @Bad Actor , expanded the search radius to 500 and then lined up several at a time and called the dealerships. I did have a couple lined up that when they arrived the dealers dropped the ADM bomb, so I moved I on. The dealer I went with had zero ADM and held the unit for my inspection with zero paperwork and zero down. I got a text picture on the morning it arrived, made my arrangements @ work and headed out 2.5 hrs each way so not terrible, deal took one hour including my test drive. I didn't even know the truck existed until a magazine article early in October, made the purchase on October 28th!

Happy hunting!!

if anyone in Texas or Oklahoma is looking for a dealer I highly recommend Holiday Ford in Whitesboro.......

OP
OP
CACTI_HYBRID

CACTI_HYBRID

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Crazy, but I found two hybrids supposedly "just arrived" at my local dealer using the Ford.com site/method you described. I excitedly called my dealer and he says that site is highly unreliable, often posting orders that have long since been sold. These two were not available even though the site says they are. I completely trust this guy not to B.S. me. So, that method's not gonna help much... :(

Bad Actor

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 Ranger XLT, 73 Mustang Base, 02 Toyota Camry
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
If you look at the window stickers, on the bottom will be the production date. You need to look for the ones not built yet or being shipped that have the best chance of not being sold.

07_Shelby

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Shelby GT , 2008 Sport Trac Limited
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Better yet, go to the address bar and edit the spot that says search radius = 100 and change it to 500. That is the true max search radius using Ford's inventory search.
Be careful doing a 500 mile search, from my experience it won't show all the stock at all the dealers in that search area. It will run through the first 100 dealers, expanding outward, and stop searching/showing results regardless of how many vehicles it finds after it searches the first 100 dealers.
Sponsored