How to become a successful Automobile Manufacturer

clippedwings

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Transit Connect
If I were a FoMoCo executive how would I run my company during an unprecedented time of parts shortages and shipping bottlenecks? I would develop engaging new vehicles. Then I would create a market. I could only supply an unknown number of vehicles. so I will create interest by allowing the public to place "retail" orders. A few carefully seeded promos in the media would serve as an introduction, without having to spend millions on advertising. Potential consumers and journalists would pick up the ball from there and spread the word. Enough vehicles could be supplied to get a few out into the wild, so the offerings would appear to be more than just vapor, and consumers will serve as test monkeys to further wring out problems. I wouldn't forget my primary customers: the auto dealerships (the general public mistakenly thinks THEY are our customers). We would only be able to supply a small number of Stock vehicles to the dealers at first, but they will still be happy because they can charge unprecedented amounts of money for the fought-over units while they wait, which will also build their customer base, and it doesn't hurt that they may require customer deposits that they can sit on and utilize, whether the buyers end up with a vehicle or not. In fact, if the buyers become impatient and bail on their orders, the dealerships will make even more profit in this crazy time. It's a win/win situation for them.

Once I gain the general public's interest and commitment, I can move to expand my markets off-shore, by repeating the same methods. Yes, there will be a lot of sour apples, as only a few buyers will actually receive vehicles in the foreseeable future, but in the long run they are actually just small potatoes, and will soon be dismissed and forgotten - their main purpose was, after all, simply to wake up the market and supply hard numbers as proof of value. This is how I can keep my company's name in the spotlight, and keep the public's interest while we wait for the world to sort out it's problems. I will kick butt.
Sponsored

pxpaulx

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Not a bad take, except the deposit part. I suspect most don't really care to take a deposit except to guarantee your business. They can't do anything with that money other than hold it, and $500 even across 10 or 100 consumers for a period of months is...not that much money for a larger business.