Sponsored

How many of you already own a hybrid vehicle ?

Art_Vandelay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid Lariat, Subaru WRX
First hybrid for me. My commute is 3 miles. My 2018 Ford Fiesta (that I'll sell as soon as I have a prod date) has 2200 miles on it, and suffers from why-the-hell-don't-you-drive-me-on-the-freeway-itus. I can't wait to drive something to work at 35mph basically silently (the engine kicking on to recharge only basically), while graduating to the utility of a truckbed.
That’s not how hybrids work.

SuckLemons

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Toyota Tacoma 🌮
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Wife had a 2009 ( 2010?) Ford escape hybred it had 250,000 miles on it when she gave it to our granddaughter to take to college, wife loved that little SUV
We had one of those with similar miles when we sold it. Loved that thing.

JB330ci

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick Hybrid, BMW M2, Lexus RX450h
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
That’s not how hybrids work.
There's misconception that Maverick hybrid will get 40 mpg no matter what. To achieve 40 mpg he car has to be completely warmed up especially in the winter, no AC, no freeway driving, EV battery adequately charged, no 10 5 qt. cow manure/garden soil in the bed, not exceeding 15 mph or heavy foot on the gas, no short trips, "coasting" as much as possible...etc. I guesstimate most people will get 30-35 mpg which is still pretty good for a truck.

Last edited:

vap0rtranz

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Mav Hybrid XLT, '17 Chevy Colo Z71 diesel
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
We had one of those with similar miles when we sold it. Loved that thing.
Same! The Gen2 Escape Hybrid got me addicted to mileage. Now I snicker at anything in the 20 MPGs :)

I also sold the Escape and now drive a Chevy Volt, which is more a PHEV despite some folks arguing that it's a RX (Range Extended) BEV.

I guesstimate most people will get 30-35 mpg which is still pretty good for a truck.
Good? It's dang impossible to get into the 30s with a truck today unless it's a diesel that you hypermile on a 60F day with 0 cross wind. So the Maverick is very, very good indeed.

Sponsored

fbov

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Escape Hybrid
There's misconception that Maverick hybrid will get 40 mpg no matter what.
I've previously posted Fuelly data for the 2020 Escape Hybrid showing achieved mileage of 30 to 45 MPG. Maverick ought to be a couple less.

To achieve 40 mpg he car has to be completely warmed up especially in the winter, no AC, no freeway driving, EV battery adequately charged, no 10 5 qt. cow manure/garden soil in the bed, not exceeding 15 mph or heavy foot on the gas, no short trips, "coasting" as much as possible...etc. I guesstimate most people will get 30-35 mpg which is still pretty good for a truck.
Winter is fun, but cold sucks. The ICE stays cold all the time unless you turn on the heat, and say goodbye to 40 mpg. (Expect fuel in the oil without highway runs.)
AC has no effect in my car. Road loads are far greater than the AC A/C.
Speed matters.
EV battery charge should be varying from 25% to 75% as you drive. Initial charge state is a small effect.
Heavy weight loads won't matter due to regen braking, but could hurt drag.
I get 45 mpg at 45 mph, year round, so the 15 mph stuff is wishful thinking.
Rabbit-prone drivers should expect 20 mpg. The secret to mileage isn't going slow, it's taming the throttle foot.
Short trips: see Cold.
Coasting is good, but only if you keep your foot on the throttle. Off-throttle will bring on regen braking.
35 mpg will be close to the average mileage, given Fuelly's Escape Hybrid average is 38 mpg. Lots of folks will hit 40, given I'm at 44.

LDProductions

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Ford Escape
Winter is fun, but cold sucks. The ICE stays cold all the time unless you turn on the heat, and say goodbye to 40 mpg.

Cold temperatures definitely reduce the battery performance at slower speeds or in stop and go traffic (same for full EVs and PHEVs), and knocks down average mpg a bit. I average 45mpg in the summer but 40mpg in the dead of winter in my Lexus with little change in the type of driving/driving style.

SoupFiend

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 Ford ranger, 09 Honda civic
My daily driver/commuter is a 2011 Lexus CT200h hybrid. I love the car, and wouldn't have swapped it out (except maybe for a Prius wagon) before the Maverick was unveiled with the hybrid powertrain. If I drive the Lexus right, I can eek out 45mpg combined city/highway, 47.5mpg if all city, and 42mpg if all highway. That's above the EPA estimates for the car, and I have no reason to think I won't be able to similarly increase the Maverick's rated mpg using the same techniques.
What are the techniques for optimum mpg? This will be my first hybrid so I'm excited to try out something new.

OP
OP

Fish Chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Prius LE, Ford F150
There's misconception that Maverick hybrid will get 40 mpg no matter what. To achieve 40 mpg he car has to be completely warmed up especially in the winter, no AC, no freeway driving, EV battery adequately charged, no 10 5 qt. cow manure/garden soil in the bed, not exceeding 15 mph or heavy foot on the gas, no short trips, "coasting" as much as possible...etc. I guesstimate most people will get 30-35 mpg which is still pretty good for a truck.
Honestly, I think you could be wrong on every count.
As I had explained in another post, manufacturers used to really stretch the truth on vehicle mileage in the past, but after several class action law suits, their mileage estimates seem to be much more "real world" now.
My Prius is rated at 52 city 48 highway. I don't do most of the things you mentioned to get the best mileage... My fan is on about 95% of the time... Usually at 80% or more... Never let it warm up, do a lot of driving on the freeway... at 75mph, etc, And guess what ? I've averaged 53 mpg for the entire 53K miles I've owned it !
Their are guys doing most of the things you mentioned plus more (hyper milers) getting more than 70mpg with my same Prius ! Amazing. But I just don't have time to drive it like that.
No reason to believe that 40mpg will be impossible, or even rare. I bet some hyper milers will get close to 60mpg with it !
I'd expect to get 42...

fbov

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Escape Hybrid
Don't get me started.... OK, do.
What are the techniques for optimum mpg? ...
The basic idea is to use the ICE under load at low RPM, where it's most efficient. Store energy in speed, altitude and HVB charge, and then switch to EV for low-load operation, aka going down hills. It's called "pulse and glide" if you want to look up the hypermiling technique.

There's an "EV Coach" dash display that will show you "EV Available" as a blue outline around the power-delivered bar. The outline grows when HVB SOC is high, shrinks as you deplete the HVB. If you can hold 2-3kW EV throttle, it goes a very long time.

There are a couple techniques.
- throttle blip to turn ICE off and enter EV mode.
It's hard to press gently enough to catch it in EV mode. It becomes a habit to do this cresting hills.
- "chasing blue" is watching the "EV Available" outline grow as speed rises from rest.
The objective is to stay inside the outline as it grows, so you don't use the ICE until you want to speed up faster. It's lead me to just press gently on the throttle from a stop, but also keep pressing so I end up re-charging the HVB, cresting a hill, or going fast enough to start an EV glide.

Terrain matters. Speed matters. Ambient temperature matters. Precipitation matters. Worry about what you can control.

Car load doesn't matter (regen braking). AC use doesn't matter (I see no mpg hit). But you can really screw up aerodynamics with cargo in a pick-up bed.

It took me a year to learn how to accelerate. It's like good barbeque, long and slow acceleration gives the HVB a chance to charge up. When you crest that rise at 10 mph over the limit, you'll have a full HVB to carry you down the hill as you slowly slow to the speed limit... and repeat.

And coasting is not as easy as pulling your foot off the gas. That leaves a substantial regen level. Light pressure is needed to zero out EV and regen braking, and truly coast like you were freewheeling.

ICE - internal combustion engine
EV - electric-only mode, ICE off.
Hybrid - ICE only transitioning to ICE + EV as throttle demand increases.
HVB - high voltage battery, ~211 VDC.
SOC - state of charge of the HVB

Last edited:
Sponsored

fbov

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Escape Hybrid
This chart summarizes the energy flow when driving a hybrid.
- the big store is the GAS TANK, with 500kWh of energy, of which we get to use 40%, or 200 kWh.
- burn fuel to charge the BATTERY or put the car into MOTION.
- once in MOTION, LOSSES continually slow the vehicle, determining the minimum power to maintain speed
- TERRAIN is neutral. Energy spent going up is returned going down.
- BATTERY is an energy buffer, storing excess energy for later use. It typically runs at 50%, so it has room to either charge or discharge.
Ford Maverick How many of you already own a hybrid vehicle ? 1627972306644

One odd thing I noticed is that being stationary at 10m of height is the same as moving at 30 mph on a flat. I've tested it, it's true. Hopefully the rest of the calculations are as accurate.

Note that regenerative braking is not without losses. The MGs produce AC which must be converted to 211 VDC for storage, then converted back to AC when traction is desired. We figured about 85% efficiency for C-Max, and this inverter's been upgraded, so maybe 90%? Either way, coasting is going to be more efficient, unless you're going really fast and aero losses take over.

Last edited:

Amakrida

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
2008 Prius here. Almost 200k on it. I've owned it for 7-8 yrs. Almost no issues. Couple of minor things. Love it. It's been an amazing car. I can honestly haul a lot on in as well. I've wanted a truck for a while to haul taller/larger objects (furniture usually) and sheets of 4x8 material. Keep me from constantly borrowing my father in laws truck.

I could never justify the price, size, and fuel economy. Then the Maverick...I swear some days it feels like it was made for me. I'm excited.

vap0rtranz

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
- the big store is the GAS TANK, with 500kWh of energy, of which we get to use 40%, or 200 kWh.
Isn't 40% efficiency high for ICE? I'd read that it's typically around 25%. ICE is great a generating lots of heat :)

Also, it's not clear if the battery 60% is an efficiency rating or a capacity rating, but I assume efficiency. It could be confusing for anyone who doesn't know that SoC should stay >50% for most rechargeable battery chemistries.

Still, that is a good visual.

The basic idea is to use the ICE under load at low RPM, where it's most efficient.
This is the ideal but depends on tuning. My Chevy Volt has been very enlightening about what's happening on the road instead of the lab. I can force my Volt to use a) electric motors or b) gas engine; it is powerplant selectable. And its "tach" represents the powerplant outputs in the same unit measure for both: kW. So here's what I've observed:

highway cruising (>65mph) - the gas engine produces fewer kW, usually 15-20 kW; the electric motors must produce more kW, usually 20-25kW.
city cruising (<35mph) - the electric motors produce few kW, usually <10 kW; the gas engine keeps producing more kW, usually 10-15 kW

Conclusion: the gas engine is efficient at high speeds and the electric motors efficient at low speeds because their production of power means gas/electricity is being consumed. Somewhere someone smart will say the efficiency of battery+motors offsets the inefficiency in power generated for real world highway speeds ... and yea maybe. More math would be needed. The point is the 2 powerplants have their sweet spots.

Despite all that ^, I've adjusted to similar hypermiling techniques as you describe.

But you can really screw up aerodynamics with cargo in a pick-up bed.
The folks over at ecomodder.com suggest a tonneau cover because of the air drag , so I plan on adding one.

Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Isn't 40% efficiency high for ICE? I'd read that it's typically around 25%. ICE is great a generating lots of heat :)
Don't know where the 2.0L and 2.5L engines Ford has used in their hybrids fall, but the Toyota hybrid engines hits about 40%. Atkinson cycle + eCVT lets them operate in that ideal efficiency range >38% while still delivery plenty of usable power.

vap0rtranz

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
OK, I see that 38% # when searching on Toyota's Atkinson cycle engines, so yea sounds good.
Sponsored