Sponsored

How many miles did you have one first oil change 2.0 ecoboost?

rlhdweman

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
64 Caddy Fleetwood,73 Caddy Sedan,75 Eldorado Conv
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Had 1st one done at 3500 mi. it was a freebee. Will do them at 5K-7K intervals now & switch to full synthetic.
Sponsored

desmobob

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Forester
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I just watched a YouTube video where a Ford tech shares a Blackstone used oil report on an EcoBoost. As has been noted by others, fuel dilution is the big issue with boosted engines. The report showed only about 1% of fuel dilution after 6K miles, but that was enough to reduce viscosity to just below minimum levels.

The tech came to the conclusion that 5K miles was a good interval; 6K if you really want to push it.

Last edited:

NebraskaMan

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I definitely recommend spending the 30 or so dollars on a used oil analysis, this is my third 2.0 ecoboost motor and in about 250k miles combined on the previous two I'd see significant fuel dilution and as a result lower flashpoint and viscosity, even on 3k changes. I'm not saying that is universal since everyone has different driving habits and will use different fuels and oils and filters etc but for me and my driving habits I think 5k intervals would have been pushing it since even on this last oil change on my maverick at 3k, flashpoint was down to 260 degrees and SUS and cSt viscosities were both below standard. These motors really really like clean, fresh oil. Flashpoint is my biggest concern considering cylinder temps on these motors can approach 400degrees so at that point with a degraded flashpoint you're burning oil in the rings and clogging them with carbon, something you really won't be able to mitigate as time goes on. Of course these are just my opinions and everyone is free to do what they want but coming up with an arbitrary number for intervals can be dangerous with an ecoboost motor instead of finding out exactly what condition the oil is in after the interval you'd like go with a good used oil analysis.
These are facts!

NebraskaMan

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Performed first oil change this week at 533 miles. Going with full syn 5w/30 and Wix filters the rest of the way.

I don't care what oil you use, what filter you use. The only opinion I will offer is with the 2.0 EB change the oil often, as has been stated previously in this thread by NoVaJimmy.

This is my 2nd 2.0 EB, last one was in an Edge. They crave clean oil, these turbo engines. Ignore the Ford recommended oil change interval and do it at 3500 miles, you'll be very happy in 10 years!

The 2.0 EB has a lot of historical service history behind it now, its a proven performer as long as you take care of it.

desmobob

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Forester
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
One thing I don't understand about direct-injection motors is fuel dilution of the engine oil. In the video I linked to in a post above, there is mention of engine oil's dilution by fuel reaching the 1% level by 5K or 6K miles.

With gasoline being so volatile, how can it possibly stay in the oil at normal engine operating temperatures? Why isn't it vaporized and sucked out by the PCV system?

Last edited:

Sponsored

LaserGecko

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan XTerra
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Actually if you use the ford pass app there is a place where you can upload the receipt and make notes so they can actually see the service was done. On that same page you select if it was done at a garage or diy or dealership.
I thought that was a particularly cool feature when I saw it. Honestly, that's about as easy as they can reliably make it. Kudos to whomever got that feature approved.

I'm going to be all hoity-freakin'-toity since the FordPass Visa does that dealership pick up my pickup thing, so why not make life easier?

BARTMAVERICK

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Just 1,044 miles and one year of ownership when I
had the 1st oil change.

JFT

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Britt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Planning to do my first oil change this coming weekend. Around 750 miles on the Mav. I will use a ford filter but what brand of full synthetic oil is recommended???

Gpp

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 ford maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I did first oil change at 600 miles and will change it every 3000 miles like i have always done on my cars.i run 10w -30 synthetic pensoil and wix filters.been doing this about 55 years and never had a problem.

athertonbt

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL EB FWD Carb Gray
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Had mine done recently at just under 3k. Plan on doing it every 4k going forward. I like the idea of staying a little under the recommended 5k and typically check the oil every month or 1000 miles, whichever comes first. Just a habit from driving older vehicles and it’s easy enough to set that recurring reminder on the cell phone.

Sponsored

Mavericksport

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
This is what I did on mine. I followed the owners manual 1,000 mile break in period instructions then had the oil changed. I haven't gotten to 5K miles yet but plan on having it changed when it does then every 5,000 miles after that.
I didn't read the owner's manual, but went to the ford dealership, at 2k and they said it is to soon. So I did it at 2800 miles at the dealership. I will probably do it around the 2k to 3k mark.

Shadowfax

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
At 7 months of ownership with 1000 miles on the odometer, I did the first oil change. I have a 2021 Edge with the Ecoboost engine that I change the oil every 3500 miles. The same will be done to the Maverick (If I keep it that long).

gp1200x

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT500,C8-Z51, 2023 Lariat Lux 4K Co360
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Changed oil and filters at 1,4 and 11K
PTU and Rear end changed at 12.2K
Magnetic plug installed at first oil change and picked up a lot of metal for second change. Much cleaner on 3rd change. Magnetic plug on PTU had some particles, rear end had a lot Glad I changed the fluids to get the metal fillings out.

Mox4615

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I’m gonna assume that if you take it to Ford at an odd time as far as miles go they will probably try to talk you out of it right lol I only have 200 miles on mine but planned on doing it at 1k then at 5k etc… just preparing myself for the tech to tell me “you are doing this oil change way to early” save your money.
Sponsored