Sponsored

How many Hybrid owners kicking the crap out of the EPA figures?

garnermike

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
An Outback, an Ioniq, a Corvette, a Fiat Spider
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Just turned 2100 miles on my Mav. Took delivery on Feb 22. As recorded at each gas-station fill-up, the lowest MPG so far has been 44.1. The highest has been 48.1. Always on ECO mode. This has been all via mixed driving (but admittedly heavy on the city/suburban street kind and light on 55-70mph highway kind).

I'm at a loss to understand how the EPA arrived at its ratings of 42 hwy, 33 city for the Mav. Perhaps testing the truck in NORMAL mode only (?) was a partial reason, but gotta think that some other factors were at work
Sponsored

OP
OP
Bobinmi

Bobinmi

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mr me.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
walking and talking
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Just turned 2100 miles on my Mav. Took delivery on Feb 22. As recorded at each gas-station fill-up, the lowest MPG so far has been 44.1. The highest has been 48.1. Always on ECO mode. This has been all via mixed driving (but admittedly heavy on the city/suburban street kind and light on 55-70mph highway kind).

I'm at a loss to understand how the EPA arrived at its ratings of 42 hwy, 33 city for the Mav. Perhaps testing the truck in NORMAL mode only (?) was a partial reason, but gotta think that some other factors were at work
Exactly! some more great numbers! absolutely light on the 42/33 rating.

DesertSweat

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick Lariat, Honda HR-V 6spd
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

TheGriffin1313

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mongo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Mav, 05 M3, 07GSXR
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
this carbon buildup on valve springs you talked about
Since it was mentioned the valve spring(s) have failed causing blowouts and the following of combustible fluids “causing a possibility files in the engine bay”. Brocken valve springs here are most probably dude to the quality of steel used that makes them fail prematurely. The nursing of the throttle will cause carbon buildup in the cylinder since it never reves high enough or hot enough to burn all the fuel leaving deposits in the cylinder head and vavle stems. Not to mention fuel some additives make it worse. Old school guys always go full throttle once in a while to burn off thse deposits as they tend to build up over time and EGR valves that return gases back to the engine for efficiency makes things worse. This build up is typical in most if not all modern engines. But the quality of spring steel used in some of the engine builds have been traced back to the 2.5l hybrid gas engine. There are many articles regarding low reving engines and deposits associated with them. With more ethanol in fule today not sure how the future will play out. My 2 pesos

Mymaverick2021

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steveo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Sitting a little over 6k and averaging over 38mpg. About 4k of that has been interstate with cruise at 75. Normal driving I’ve been getting 45mpg no problem.
Mine around town a measly 51.7 average for the first 3K miles. My recent trip to Costco on the other side of the Island and back getting 49.4 with a 1/4 tank still to go till fill up time🥳

Sponsored

W_L89

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick (when it is built)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Does eco mode help at all to improve fuel economy other than limiting the throttle response? Would accelerating gradually on a normal basis while still having the regular throttle response when needed to pass he more beneficial or does eco mode do something else like increasing the regen braking?

garnermike

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
An Outback, an Ioniq, a Corvette, a Fiat Spider
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I am just speculating here, but I believe I read somewhere that ECO mode increases regen breaking and regen coasting. As for throttle response, I am clueless, as I find acceleration in ECO to be more than adequate (better than other hybrids I have owned).

Mymaverick2021

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steveo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Does eco mode help at all to improve fuel economy other than limiting the throttle response? Would accelerating gradually on a normal basis while still having the regular throttle response when needed to pass he more beneficial or does eco mode do something else like increasing the regen braking?
I don't have a clue about Eco mode as I've never used it and my A/C is always on!

stoptothink

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 VW jetta
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

I've always been able to beat EPA estimates by a significant margin. It's simply how you drive. The EPA tests for the normal driver who has no concern for fuel efficiency. Most of us who purchased the hybrid car a lot about efficiency and we drive as such; it's a pretty self-selecting group.

MLA62563

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Accord, Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
As o
I used eco mode for a couple of tanks, and got about the same numbers as I did in normal mode. I got 43-45 MPG either way, so I don't bother with it anymore. I don't think eco does anything you can't do for yourself with a little effort. Perhaps it will help improve your mileage if you DON'T want to make the effort yourself by "forcing" better habits upon you by way of regen and throttle response. Though as others have noted, I'll be damned if I can tell any difference in performance in eco mode. Only stronger regen braking.

Sponsored

DesertSweat

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick Lariat, Honda HR-V 6spd
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Since it was mentioned the valve spring(s) have failed causing blowouts and the following of combustible fluids “causing a possibility files in the engine bay”. Brocken valve springs here are most probably dude to the quality of steel used that makes them fail prematurely. The nursing of the throttle will cause carbon buildup in the cylinder since it never reves high enough or hot enough to burn all the fuel leaving deposits in the cylinder head and vavle stems. Not to mention fuel some additives make it worse. Old school guys always go full throttle once in a while to burn off thse deposits as they tend to build up over time and EGR valves that return gases back to the engine for efficiency makes things worse. This build up is typical in most if not all modern engines. But the quality of spring steel used in some of the engine builds have been traced back to the 2.5l hybrid gas engine. There are many articles regarding low reving engines and deposits associated with them. With more ethanol in fule today not sure how the future will play out. My 2 pesos
Well the problem with your statement is carbon buildup on the valve springs unless I'm misinterpreting your original statement. But the valve springs are continually coated with motor oil since they are part of the head under the valve cover.

Maybe you mean valve heads specifically where the valve seats against the cylinder head. Port injection engines don't typically have a carbon buildup issue on valves since they are continually washed down with fuel unlike direct injection engines.

Now carbon buildup in cylinders is typically due to cold spots, rich AFR, poor fuel, low volatility oil, and excessive oil consumption. And sometimes they can be points for hot spots when you are driving hard and they they start to heat up and burn off potentially causing knock and pre-ignition. Modern cars have knock sensors and will retard timing, increase AFR and potentially limit throttle % open. But generally you do not have catastrophic engine failure due to carbon buildup.

Even if what you said that a valve spring breaks and you drop a valve, chances are you won't have an engine fire. You'll have a piston with hundreds of indentations in it, and then a broken valve and destroyed cylinder wall. But typically the engine block will stay in tact. Rod failures are the largest reason for engine blocks to fail.

The Italian tune up based on what I've read on modern cars is myth. But hey, there's really little risk, so really no harm done. That's my 2 cents.

Last edited:

Mach 1

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Hybr 2018 F150 Lariat 3.5 ECO
Desert, good info there, truth.

Heres my last tank, $3.09 RUG Sunoco
Ford Maverick How many Hybrid owners kicking the crap out of the EPA figures? 20220731_193125

Add mte + mpt=699.9mpt

New2AZ

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic EX Hatchback
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I got 52mpg on the way home from the store today. Granted, that was a 2 mile trip. I wish I could claim a 600+ mile tank!

Mcuz

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have been kicking the crap out of the Ford MPG numbers of 33 and 42 for 37 avg. I am averaging 42+ MPG over my last 10k miles. That is approximately 40 percent hwy and 60 city. In the city, I am consistently 50-70 MPG...I'm talking a small city, 30k people, so traffic and lights accordingly. Crazy numbers and very happy to have the hybrid

Screenshot_20220802-171645_Gallery.jpg
20220805_122725.jpg
Screenshot_20220802-171639_Gallery.jpg
I have been kicking the crap out of the Ford MPG numbers of 33 and 42 for 37 avg. I am averaging 42+ MPG over my last 10k miles. That is approximately 40 percent hwy and 60 city. In the city, I am consistently 50-70 MPG...I'm talking a small city, 30k people, so traffic and lights accordingly. Crazy numbers and very happy to have the hybrid

Ford Maverick How many Hybrid owners kicking the crap out of the EPA figures? Screenshot_20220802-171645_Gallery
Ford Maverick How many Hybrid owners kicking the crap out of the EPA figures? 20220805_122725
Ford Maverick How many Hybrid owners kicking the crap out of the EPA figures? Screenshot_20220802-171639_Gallery
Ford Maverick How many Hybrid owners kicking the crap out of the EPA figures? 8D66DEC9-1FC8-4EAD-AB14-92A922CD6EC3

Blue1005

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Screenshot_20220802-171645_Gallery.jpg
20220805_122725.jpg
Screenshot_20220802-171639_Gallery.jpg
i am averaging about 38 on the dash, so realy numbers is about 10 percent lower. better then the monster truck i used to have but wish i got better.
Sponsored