Sponsored

How many Hybrid owners kicking the crap out of the EPA figures?

Edge Haley

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Edge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PORSCHE
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I don't use eco anymore after a good deal of experimenting showed it didn't make any difference for me. I get 43-45 MPG per tank either way. I do believe a LOT depends on your driving habits and routes, terrain and traffic patterns and such. Far more so than in my experience with ICE powertrains. Could very well be that some people get a bigger benefit from eco mode than I do. I guess you'll just have to determine that for yourself.
If you do find eco mode helpful, it's no trouble at all in my opinion to get into the habit of selecting it at each drive session. I don't get the complaints...just another button to push along with the brake release. Couple of weeks, you won't even have to think about it. 🤷‍♂️
Same experience. ECO mode might give 1/2 mile advantage at the most. Manual says it makes slightly better use of battery regeneration of electricity.... After two months of testing with Eco verses Normal drive mode, there was a VERY minor advantage. If I was on a LONG trip I'd use it but only then. I keep the Hybrid Coach on all the time and continually check when in Electric mode is on, making sure my foot is off the gas. Never seen a vehicle coast so far down a slight hill. Consistently 43.X to 44.X MPG after 5,000 miles in a very hilly area. Love this little truck. Next fill-up I'm adding a gallon of higher octane just to see if it makes a difference. In my motorcycles it does, plus they run better.
Sponsored

icegradner

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Never seen a vehicle coast so far down a slight hill.
Interestingly enough I find the Maverick does not coast as well as my previous hybrid down slopes/hills, due to the hill descent regen, which noticeably slows the vehicle. I would have thought it would do better, being heavier than my previous hybrid sedan. I have to keep my foot slightly on the throttle going down a slope to get similar behavior to what my Toyota Hybrid (MY 2008) would do. I do find that the Maverick will stay on the battery longer, which makes up for the difference though.

Espeer

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 focus, 2003 expedition
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I hear if you get them hot enough the magnets 🧲 in the eCVT will LOSE magnetism (!) :oops: What if you are needing to evacuate your family from a VOLCANO! 🌋 and surrounded by HOT LAVA! Hybrid will leave you stranded. 😱

Technically it is true, but if the internal transmission is reaching the Curie Point you've probably got bigger problems.
My copper and magnet bracelet will fix that!

Last edited:

Phileaux

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Ford Edge SEL fwd
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Same experience. ECO mode might give 1/2 mile advantage at the most. Manual says it makes slightly better use of battery regeneration of electricity.... After two months of testing with Eco verses Normal drive mode, there was a VERY minor advantage. If I was on a LONG trip I'd use it but only then. I keep the Hybrid Coach on all the time and continually check when in Electric mode is on, making sure my foot is off the gas. Never seen a vehicle coast so far down a slight hill. Consistently 43.X to 44.X MPG after 5,000 miles in a very hilly area. Love this little truck. Next fill-up I'm adding a gallon of higher octane just to see if it makes a difference. In my motorcycles it does, plus they run better.

The last time I felt a difference between octane grades my car had a carburetor 😁. I do notice a difference when using a non-ethanol fuel; smoothes out the idle and acceleration and a bump in mpg.

Sponsored

Deleted member 1483

I think I found the secret sauce. No particular hypermiling done here. Speeds ranged from 25-65 some residential, some highway. A lot of stop lights.

All I did was switch the screen to the instant fuel economy (xlt) and every time I was up to speed I let off the throttle until it started regen, and applied light throttle to keep it in electric. I guess this would be similar to “pulse and glide” but without annoying traffic by slowing down.

Drive mode was normal.

Ford Maverick How many Hybrid owners kicking the crap out of the EPA figures? 3D08EB1C-4D91-442F-B508-6910427CEAD9

Mach 1

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Hybr 2018 F150 Lariat 3.5 ECO
ECO only mode here, aint gettin no 53mpg, without it..

The battery problem, aint no problem for me..

Edge Haley

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Edge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PORSCHE
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The last time I felt a difference between octane grades my car had a carburetor 😁. I do notice a difference when using a non-ethanol fuel; smoothes out the idle and acceleration and a bump in mpg.

Sponsored

Edge Haley

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Edge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PORSCHE
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm sure it would be but non-ethenal in my area it is just too expensive. We only use it for chain saws, etc.

Phileaux

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Ford Edge SEL fwd
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm sure it would be but non-ethenal in my area it is just too expensive. We only use it for chain saws, etc.
If it's at a boat dock absolutely! Give a tankfull a try and see how it goes. My SUV does get better mpg but not mathematically enough to justify but, I do enjoy a smooth engine. I definitely start our vacation road trips with non-ethanol fuel.

Bsperty

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Crab
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Y’all must not be using the AC very much if you’re getting those kinds of numbers. It’s always on here in NC.
I don’t think the AC brings the mileage down as there’s no fan belt to put drag on the engine

Mach E CP

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Conrad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mav Hybrid Lariat, 2021 Mach E Prem ExtAWD
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have been kicking the crap out of the Ford MPG numbers of 33 and 42 for 37 avg. I am averaging 42+ MPG over my last 10k miles. That is approximately 40 percent hwy and 60 city. In the city, I am consistently 50-70 MPG...I'm talking a small city, 30k people, so traffic and lights accordingly. Crazy numbers and very happy to have the hybrid
Likewise Bobinmi, I've been kicking the crap out of the EPA assigned numbers. Also in MI, my trip odometer has never been reset, so all 14,796 miles since mid January give back an average MPG of 40.3. I'm at about 60% Hwy, and 40% city.

The rolling average FE currently sits at 43.7 mpg, but I trust the overall average of 40.3, which includes some cold months of winter. Someone in a thread accused the Ford dash electronics as being a 'lie meter,' so I started tracking all the data on my fill-ups on a GoogleSheet. The most recent 4,100 miles by fill-up calculations gives a 41.3 mpg average. I expected this to be higher right now because of the favorable warm weather mpg. Either way, I'm kickin' the crap outta the 37 mpg EPA predicted!

OP
OP
Bobinmi

Bobinmi

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mr me.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
walking and talking
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Likewise Bobinmi, I've been kicking the crap out of the EPA assigned numbers. Also in MI, my trip odometer has never been reset, so all 14,796 miles since mid January give back an average MPG of 40.3. I'm at about 60% Hwy, and 40% city.

The rolling average FE currently sits at 43.7 mpg, but I trust the overall average of 40.3, which includes some cold months of winter. Someone in a thread accused the Ford dash electronics as being a 'lie meter,' so I started tracking all the data on my fill-ups on a GoogleSheet. The most recent 4,100 miles by fill-up calculations gives a 41.3 mpg average. I expected this to be higher right now because of the favorable warm weather mpg. Either way, I'm kickin' the crap outta the 37 mpg EPA predicted!
I love hearing them stories!
Sponsored