Sponsored

How many Hybrid owners kicking the crap out of the EPA figures?

garnermike

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
An Outback, an Ioniq, a Corvette, a Fiat Spider
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I've always been able to beat EPA estimates by a significant margin. It's simply how you drive. The EPA tests for the normal driver who has no concern for fuel efficiency. Most of us who purchased the hybrid car a lot about efficiency and we drive as such; it's a pretty self-selecting group.
I too have been able to beat EPA ratings on many of my current and previous vehicles--but NEVER by this much. The Mav is rated at 37 combined MPG, yet I'm essentially getting 45MPG combined.
Sponsored

Last edited:

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Does eco mode help at all to improve fuel economy other than limiting the throttle response? Would accelerating gradually on a normal basis while still having the regular throttle response when needed to pass he more beneficial or does eco mode do something else like increasing the regen braking?
It's rather hard to determine. I have driven a bit in regular mode as well as eco mode. With adaptive cruise and without. Almost always with heat or cool set at 73°. It appears to me that too light a touch on go pedal can increase trip time whether in regular or eco modes and may actually lower mpg as trip can take minutes longer. At 35 mph take foot off go pedal in regular drive then in eco and watch the Regen needle. Then repeat each one again at 35 mph regular with low button active and eco with low button active watch Regen needle. It will max out, if it doesn't do test from 40mph. Eco low is great for in town stop and go traffic ONE PEDAL driving where very seldom brake pedal will have to be used and seems to help mpg. The manual states that the low button can be used at ANY SPEED. If I am travelling at 55 mph (+/- few) and am going to make a turn, I will turn on the low button instead of using the brake pedal. Regen goes to 100% and with a little practice the distance to the turn can be learned to get truck to speed you want for the turn🤗🥰👌. If low is used until HVB is charged over a certain % (I guess 80-90%) the engine braking will occur and can be quite loud.

icegradner

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Still on my first tank of gas, but so far averaging 5L/100km, or 47MPG, at least according to the in truck computer. Will have to do a fill up to get the real numbers.

Best trip was 4.3L/100km or 54.7MPG. All trips in normal mode, no ECO or other drive modes in use, too lazy to switch it all the time.

Last edited:

garnermike

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Still on my first tank of gas, but so far averaging 5L/100km, or 47MPG, at least according to the in truck computer. Will have to do a fill up to get the real numbers.

Best trip was 4.3L/100km or 54.7MPG. All trips in normal mode, no ECO or other drive modes in use, too lazy to switch it all the time.
I'm perfectly willing to accept the truck's MPG calculations as "the real numbers." I've done my own division several times after a fill-up. If anything, my findings showed even better MPG than offered by the truck's computer.

Stive

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mini Cooper, Lexus RX350, Maverick XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Do most of you change the setting from normal to the ECO “with a leaf” setting? I’m getting about 39mpg, but just got it and have less than 200 miles on it.

Sponsored

Maverick2023

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Kip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Rav4
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Title should include ford hybrid dead batteries are kicking the crap out of hybrid owners

garnermike

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Do most of you change the setting from normal to the ECO “with a leaf” setting? I’m getting about 39mpg, but just got it and have less than 200 miles on it.
Yes, I do. I actually trained myself to go to ECO mode with every drive (I put an easily removable stick-um red decal on the truck's computer screen to remind me). Don't need it anymore; going to ECO is now part of the start/drive process for me.

MLA62563

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Accord, Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I don't use eco anymore after a good deal of experimenting showed it didn't make any difference for me. I get 43-45 MPG per tank either way. I do believe a LOT depends on your driving habits and routes, terrain and traffic patterns and such. Far more so than in my experience with ICE powertrains. Could very well be that some people get a bigger benefit from eco mode than I do. I guess you'll just have to determine that for yourself.
If you do find eco mode helpful, it's no trouble at all in my opinion to get into the habit of selecting it at each drive session. I don't get the complaints...just another button to push along with the brake release. Couple of weeks, you won't even have to think about it. 🤷‍♂️

OP
OP
Bobinmi

Bobinmi

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mr me.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
walking and talking
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I don't use eco anymore after a good deal of experimenting showed it didn't make any difference for me. I get 43-45 MPG per tank either way. I do believe a LOT depends on your driving habits and routes, terrain and traffic patterns and such. Far more so than in my experience with ICE powertrains. Could very well be that some people get a bigger benefit from eco mode than I do. I guess you'll just have to determine that for yourself.
If you do find eco mode helpful, it's no trouble at all in my opinion to get into the habit of selecting it at each drive session. I don't get the complaints...just another button to push along with the brake release. Couple of weeks, you won't even have to think about it. 🤷‍♂️
Same here...I never use eco mode...don't ever think about it is the reason. My MPG is still fantastic!

Sponsored

Bushpilot

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Volt
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Title should include ford hybrid dead batteries are kicking the crap out of hybrid owners
I think part of the valve spring failure (carbon build up) is due to the nursing of that throttle that we all Hybrid owners like to do. Full open throttle will help with this build up. Until Ford puts stronger valve springs and or create a setting to burn off this build up.
Anyone else want to insert a made-up problem?

Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Anyone else want to insert a made-up problem?
I hear if you get them hot enough the magnets 🧲 in the eCVT will LOSE magnetism (!) :oops: What if you are needing to evacuate your family from a VOLCANO! 🌋 and surrounded by HOT LAVA! Hybrid will leave you stranded. 😱

Technically it is true, but if the internal transmission is reaching the Curie Point you've probably got bigger problems.

Last edited:

Phileaux

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Ford Edge SEL fwd
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I think part of the valve spring failure (carbon build up) is due to the nursing of that throttle that we all Hybrid owners like to do. Full open throttle will help with this build up. Until Ford puts stronger valve springs and or create a setting to burn off this build up.

But ya 45 is my average MPG 9 miles each way 18 miles total a day all street no highway.
The carbon build up is on engine with direct injection (EB) not the Atkins cycle. A film of oil is on exposed part of the valve on all engines. Fuel injection washes the oil off hot valve, DI bypasses the valve. Some manufacturers are adding a tiny sprayer on the valve.

Sykotyk

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Ford Maverick How many Hybrid owners kicking the crap out of the EPA figures? 20220618_211620

This is what happens you run in tow haul for several hours, mix of highway and city. Still though, that's great for making out your weight.

Ford Maverick How many Hybrid owners kicking the crap out of the EPA figures? 20220810_024051

This is a more normal trip around town.

Ford Maverick How many Hybrid owners kicking the crap out of the EPA figures? 20220807_070216

Long round trip to the airport without a stop. Almost a half hour of waiting time. Thing with the hybrid is I just don't turn it off if I'm in the drivers seat. Unless the hvac draws it down, it just sits there for a while on listening to the radio and charging my phone.
Ford Maverick How many Hybrid owners kicking the crap out of the EPA figures? 20220620_190522

Ford Maverick How many Hybrid owners kicking the crap out of the EPA figures? 20220611_172929

Long two lane drive mostly in NW PA.

Ford Maverick How many Hybrid owners kicking the crap out of the EPA figures? 20220602_082435

This is my usual morning commute to my daughter's school and home. All city. Top speed is 40 but mostly 25 and 35 mph.

Overall, my mpg is 38 on the dash for almost 8000 miles. The guage reads about a 1mpg higher than true.

But it those 8000 miles almost 1800 of them is with a trailer and half of those miles were empty where I've now learned to just run normal and only get a slight decrease in mpg. Tow haul only when loaded where the average is between 23 and 27mpg.
Sponsored