Sponsored

How good is the factory bed liner, I’m glad I deleted it from my truck!

CoryDallas8123

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi A4, Chevy Chevelle SS, 2022 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Something like a chisel he hits repeatedly over and over again to get the lip to lift up? LOL! Look at him working on that to get it to lift! And the other side is conveniently skipped over how they managed to get it started and just happens to already be off.... sorry I don't think Line-X is a very impartial party to compare Line-X to the factory liner.

This is the first google result for LIne-X removal search term:

Here's another one:

Third one, looks just like the Ford one again:

Looks like both Line-X installs are pulling up in strips similar to the factory one anyway. The only challenging part seems to be getting it started, which LIne-X conveniently skipped on the Ford application, lol!
Yeah. If someone would give me a specific example of a real life situation with a bed liner and “peeling” off with normal use and not “I tried to slide a knife under the space!” I’d maybe listen. But then I still wouldn’t. I’m a Home Depot throw some bags of mulch and potting soil into the bed guy.
Sponsored

CoryDallas8123

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Yeah. If someone would give me a specific example of a real life situation with a bed liner and “peeling” off with normal use and not “I tried to slide a knife under the space!” I’d maybe listen. But then I still wouldn’t. I’m a Home Depot throw some bags of mulch and potting soil into the bed guy.
Everyone just needs the calm the F down and wait for their truck.

clavicus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Well, in conclusion, I learned I want a pneumatic chisel hammer thinger. That thing is badass. Thanks for the video battle, I feel fine with factory liner. I think threads like this actually end up being constructive for people like me who have no experience. Like watching YouTube videos of contractors who show you how to do something, then in the comments they are getting roasted by other contractors, and then counter-roasted by other contractors. You at least learn that there are many perspectives, even if you’re not sure which one you align with.

Last edited:

CoryDallas8123

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Well, in conclusion, I learned I want a pneumatic chisel hammer thinger.
Me too! Once I get my truck I’ll be that guy who buys all the tools!

WesM

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Factory liner is more than capable enough for just about everything but the most extreme use, and in those cases I kinda doubt Line-X would do much better. The biggest benefit to going aftermarket is you can get UV stabilized spray in liners that will not fade like the Factory liner. Costs a good bit more for the UV stuff though.

having said that, I'm having Tom at Horsham spray rhino on mine for the same price as Ford is charging. I'm sure its comparable to the OEM liner if not better.

Sponsored

KenC

Banned
Banned
First Name
First
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Truck.
Dang, After seeing the damage done to the bed and paint, I think I'll be just fine with a mat or the modular plastic option. No one putting a chisel to my truck paint. or using a "special process" of sanding my bed down.

vezpa

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
EMG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Too many to list.
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
They don't have to prep it, its virgin paint so there are no contaminants like oils or silicon sprays or anything that might have gotten on the bed. They can just spray on an adhesion promoter and then have a machine spray in the product, its not just going to fall off. If you do have to remove it, it will take some work but the paint underneath fresh is an advantage.

I don't know why you'd even want a liner that was impossible to remove in large chunks, because if it gets damaged after 10 years of UV in the sun and you want to redo it, who wants to destroy the bed trying to chisel it off?
Then you simply put a plastic drop in liner over it in 10 years.

WesM

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Dang, After seeing the damage done to the bed and paint, I think I'll be just fine with a mat or the modular plastic option. No one putting a chisel to my truck paint. or using a "special process" of sanding my bed down.
My experience has been that if you do not get a bedliner of some kind, the wheel wells will get dented eventually, its just a matter of time. The drop in liners can cause bed rot and scratch up the bed anyways. Spray in has been my favorite option so far.

The chiseling is ONLY for removing old spray in liners (20 years after they were installed and are sun or mechanically damaged). they do not sand down the bed either, they scuff the top coat to promote adhesion with the spray bedliner.

Reactions: bgn

jmcgon237

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick Nissan Frontier
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Great to have choices the mat for many is not an option is hard to slide the heavy stuff in and out.
I worked at a Mack truck dealership and for the transporting of engines, carriers and suspension parts on the Ford 250 we used a drop in bed liner to catch oil and grease and then added a 3/4 inch plywood on top of the drop-in so an engine would not slide thru the back window when we stopped. We tried spay in but the metal engine cradles scraped out the liner when unloading. I will not be sliding any Mack engines so a mat should work.

STARCOMMTREY1

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350, Ultra Classic, Versa Note and soon to be Mav
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Ok. I need to weigh in here. A lot of misplaced fear over durability of LineX versus factory.
I am not easy on my beds. My last three 150s have had in this order LineX LineX Ford Liner. Still have the Ford liner. I am absolute hell on my beds. My 350 has a drop in liner. Our 250 a rubber bed mat. I am more than qualified to give an educated opinion here. The beds on the super duties are trashed. Dents and scratches all over when the liners are removed. Stay away from Rubber and drop ins. If you want rubber to protect your precious knees(after 4 knees surgeries I have the right to be condescending) then drop rubber over spray in. But when it comes to LineX....my first 150 liner to minor cosmetic damage over 10 years. (Should mention these vehicles were had simultaneously at one point) the second 150 actually had chunks down to the paint missing off the tailgate and the same minor scratches and blemishes. A few dents noted in the bed. But for the hell we put it through it was damn tough. Then there is the Ford liner......ITS DAMN TOUGH!!!!!!!!!!!! The ONLY reason I am going LineX is that it is CHEAPER! These liners do last the lifetime of the truck. I have found zero issues with the Ford that I did not have with the LineX. A bed full of chainsaws? No problem. They both take it like a champ. The ONE thing that LineX does better for ME is all of the additional coverage they do. Ford goes for nice clean looks and lines. LineX just cakes it on everything. And you bet your tail im getting it over the bed rails and top of the tail gate.

Bottom line: After using both for twenty years they have both held up to SERIOUS COMMERCIAL USE nearly just as well as the other. If you made me nit pick the LineX held up moderately better and seemed not to fade as bad. So there you have it. Life experience with both from someone who seriously abuses a tuck bed on a regular basis and why I chose what I chose.

Sponsored

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My experience has been that if you do not get a bedliner of some kind, the wheel wells will get dented eventually, its just a matter of time. The drop in liners can cause bed rot and scratch up the bed anyways. Spray in has been my favorite option so far.
Granted we don't actually have wheel wells (Rambox bed) but 12 years and not a scratch on ours, used just the OEM heavy rubber mat.

Heavy items in a bed should be strapped down for safety of the object itself and the passengers in the vehicle. If you do, it won't be slamming around on your wheel wells. Then again, I've seen people use a bobcat to dump giant sharp landscape stones in their bed, no thanks. I'd rent a trailer for that, and the small ones those come in baggies so are no big deal.

Ratchet straps and cargo nets are your friend! That said, we're doing spray in because its not an expensive option, but still putting in a bed mat too.

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

The chiseling is ONLY for removing old spray in liners (20 years after they were installed and are sun or mechanically damaged). they do not sand down the bed either, they scuff the top coat to promote adhesion with the spray bedliner.
we have aftermarket spray in liner in our 2018 F-150 with Aluminum bed. The owner told us flat out they had to completely sand it to bare metal for proper adhesion. We don't have LineX or Rhino shops here in our small town- just this 1 guy with a brand I never heard of. Lifetime repair guarantee against chipping, peeling, UV fade you name it. No issues after 3 years and counting.

For those considering just a rubber floor mat, be aware they can easily be lifted out and stolen in supermarket lots, parked outside your house, etc.

WesM

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Granted we don't actually have wheel wells (Rambox bed) but 12 years and not a scratch on ours, used just the OEM heavy rubber mat.

Heavy items in a bed should be strapped down for safety of the object itself and the passengers in the vehicle. If you do, it won't be slamming around on your wheel wells. Then again, I've seen people use a bobcat to dump giant sharp landscape stones in their bed, no thanks. I'd rent a trailer for that, and the small ones those come in baggies so are no big deal.

Ratchet straps and cargo nets are your friend! That said, we're doing spray in because its not an expensive option, but still putting in a bed mat too.
I have always driven smaller trucks, so stuff gets put on the wheel (housing? The part that covers the wheels in the bed of the truck!) when hauling 4x8 sheet goods. I think thats where most of the dings come from.

Not sure what it is, but I feel like they are making sheet metal thinner and thinner on these trucks, so having some impact protection is important if you don't want dents. To be fair, most of the trucks I drive are work trucks, and they tend to get abused by the employees a bit more than personal trucks.

we have aftermarket spray in liner in our 2018 F-150 with Aluminum bed. The owner told us flat out they had to completely sand it to bare metal for proper adhesion. We don't have LineX or Rhino shops here in our small town- just this 1 guy with a brand I never heard of. Lifetime repair guarantee against chipping, peeling, UV fade you name it. No issues after 3 years and counting.

For those considering just a rubber floor mat, be aware they can easily be lifted out and stolen in supermarket lots, parked outside your house, etc.
Oh wow, did not know they actually used aluminum in the bed... that just seems like a bad idea. Makes sense that it might have a different prep though for aluminum.

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You kind of have to use one with a tonneau cover anyways. With an open bed, parked under the trees and what not you will get debris working its way underneath a mat along with all the rain and everything, and that's not good for the paint.

Tonneau keeps it nice and clean and dry, and then no worries about theft for the mat or anything else you need to throw in there for that matter.

When you haul something super dirty and think lots of debris got underneath, you just drop the tailgate and slide it out, hose everything down, wait to dry, and toss it back in there.

Edge Haley

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Edge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PORSCHE
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
For what it’s worth - delayed getting the Sprayed in Liner since it would delay my build. Both Ford Dealer and a LineX dealer insisted that to properly spray the LineX (or any) liner the bed paint had to be sanded 0ff/or at least scuffed to make the LineX to stick otherwise would not warranty.
Sponsored