Sponsored

How easy is to swap Ford Steering wheels?

Sylvester

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I ordered a Maverick XLT without the lux package and would like to swap the base steering wheel with the leather version. I have swapped steering wheels on my Porsche, which was super simple. Anyone an Idea how simple the swap to Leather steering wheel is going to be? How about the wiring for the heater of the steering wheel? Thanks!
Sponsored

Cubican

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Pedro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ridgeline, viper, c8
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Is not that hard same as the pch but you will have to swap the electronics to your new wheel unless is same trim level

WesM

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You can get the base steering wheel leather wrapped for probably cheaper than a new steering wheel would cost. Could do something cool with your own leather/stitching combo too.

OP
OP
Sylvester

Sylvester

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You can get the base steering wheel leather wrapped for probably cheaper than a new steering wheel would cost. Could do something cool with your own leather/stitching combo too.
That sounds great, didn't even think about it! When I take it of and put it back on, I asume it will affect my warranty. Any Idea, who to go around that? thanks!

WesM

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
That sounds great, didn't even think about it! When I take it of and put it back on, I asume it will affect my warranty. Any Idea, who to go around that? thanks!
My local auto upholstery place was able to do it without taking the steering wheel off. You should not have to worry about the warranty if you can find a place that does it that way.

There are also kits you can buy if you are into DIY stuff.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Sylvester

Sylvester

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My local auto upholstery place was able to do it without taking the steering wheel off. You should not have to worry about the warranty if you can find a place that does it that way.

There are also kits you can buy if you are into DIY stuff.
Good to know, thanks so much. I will try to find a place which does it this way.

Gabbydad

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
There are really good aftermarket ones out there as well. I installed one on my f150 and it was worth the effort.

Reactions: wjg
OP
OP
Sylvester

Sylvester

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
There are really good aftermarket ones out there as well. I installed one on my f150 and it was worth the effort.
Can you sen a link please? thanks

fordtruckguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford truck
I’m planning on doing the wheel skins leather wrap on my base wheel. Maverick is not an option yet. Does anybody know what Ford wheel would be the same? Escape or Bronco sport?

Sponsored

mikelowrey

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Garrett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I was thinking of doing this. Anyone know of good companies that offer that?

RabidAntiDentite

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT FX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I just swapped my XLT steering wheel with a leather wrapped one from a 2021 Escape. I bought the used wheel on eBay for $215 and it took about 45 minutes to complete the swap.

Disconnect the battery and wait about 15 mins for the energy to dissipate.

There are two 8mm bolts on the bottom of the steering column trim, remove those and slide the lower trim piece towards the front of the car. This will separate the trim pieces. Now you can turn the steering wheel 90 degrees to access the port where the airbag clip is. Use a slim flathead screwdriver and start at the outside edge of the port pushing the screwdriver until it makes contact with the airbag. Now slide the screwdriver towards the inside of the port, and this will release the clip for the airbag. Turn the wheel now 180 degrees to access the second port and repeat the process.

The airbag will now be able to be pulled out. There are three connectors that are easy to remove, and the airbag is free. Next remove the steering wheel control connector from the steering column.

Re center your wheels and steering wheel before removing the steering wheel.

My steering wheel was held in place with a large hex bolt, believe it was around a 21mm, although I have read that some new Fords are using a T50 torx. Remove that bolt and the steering wheel will pull of easily.

Now you need to swap the steering wheel controls from the old wheel to the new wheel. This was the most time intensive part. The matte black trim ring will get removed, but the trim at 6 o'clock stays in the place. Starting at the 9 o'clock steering wheel control, gently pry upwards to start dislodging the trim piece. Now use a small flathead screwdriver to pry the clips upward gently as you keep pressure on the trim piece. Work in a clockwise direction to remove the trim. There are a total of 4 small torx, T8 I believe that hold the controls in once you get the trim removed. Take those torx out and swap the Maverick control packs into the Escape trim, tighten the torx and click the Escape trim now containing the Maverick controls into the Escape wheel. Route the cables into their original positions.

On the steering column there is a black plastic piece that spins, it might be the clock spring. This also holds the connector for the controls. There are 2 male plastic pins that align into the steering wheel. Make sure the connector port is at 12 o'clock and slide the new steering wheel into place. Reinstall in the hex bolt and torque to 36 foot pounds. There was no thread additive on the bolt I removed, and I did not install any when I reinstalled.

Connect the steering wheel controls, then the airbag connectors and click the airbag into place. You will feel the spring tabs engage when the airbag is fully inserted.

Hope this helps, I can re do the process and take photos if needed.

The reason I did not apply thread locker to the bolt was because in the event of a warranty claim, I will swap back to the OEM steering wheel before going into the dealer. It is my understanding that with the battery disconnected, and the airbag removed/reinstalled before restoring power, that there is no record of the airbag being removed from the vehicle.

RabidAntiDentite

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT FX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I will add that the Escape wheel had the 360 Co-Pilot controls, my maverick did not. The first attempt was to utilize the Escape controls, but that did not work. Both sides of the steering wheel controls were unresponsive. That is why I had to swap the control packs.

Weezie jefferson

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Weezie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Xl hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I will add that the Escape wheel had the 360 Co-Pilot controls, my maverick did not. The first attempt was to utilize the Escape controls, but that did not work. Both sides of the steering wheel controls were unresponsive. That is why I had to swap the control packs.
I get that this is old. Are you referring to the steering wheel switches
Sponsored