Sponsored

How difficult is it to tap turn signals without using trailer connection?

MostlySafeBear

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(Eventually) a Ford Truck
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I don't have my truck yet.

Since using the trailer connection disables the blind spot warning system (I wish that was configurable), how difficult is it to tap the turn signals to drive a couple small LED strips for amber turn signals?
Sponsored

Last edited:

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Anyone have a wiring diagram with wire color codes for the exterior lights?

TIA

Tiger Dude

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Skip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 XL
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
You just have to find the wires, I've done this on a bike before

ShadowChas

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT FX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Ifā€™s you search the forums here for led tailgate light strip, etcā€¦ thereā€™s a few people that have done this (I think is what you are looking for) because the trailer plug has smart wire system that turns off auto stop & camera thinking itā€™s towing a trailer. I think some have shown what each wire colors are

OP
OP
MostlySafeBear

MostlySafeBear

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Ifā€™s you search the forums here for led tailgate light strip, etcā€¦ thereā€™s a few people that have done this (I think is what you are looking for) because the trailer plug has smart wire system that turns off auto stop & camera thinking itā€™s towing a trailer. I think some have shown what each wire colors are
I keep hearing about this mythical plug, and I have used the search feature, but have not come up with the results I'm looking for.

Part of the problem is that I am not finding the exact correct search terms to use, for example "trailer plug" is 9 pages of stuff, including people bitching that they haven't received their orders yet.

Sponsored

ShadowChas

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT FX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I keep hearing about this mythical plug, and I have used the search feature, but have not come up with the results I'm looking for.

Part of the problem is that I am not finding the exact correct search terms to use, for example "trailer plug" is 9 pages of stuff, including people bitching that they haven't received their orders yet.

I found this on another post here

Bad Actor

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 Ranger XLT, 73 Mustang Base, 02 Toyota Camry
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

You should be able to use this like a pass through plug. Use one end's green, yellow and white wires to power your LED's.

JimParker256

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Area 51 Hybrid FE, 2014 Impala
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

You should be able to use this like a pass through plug. Use one end's green, yellow and white wires to power your LED's.
But as the video points out, that will only work if you're using a 4-pin trailer connector for your trailer. If you use the 7-pin connector, the door for the connector blocks the 4-pin door from opening.

Personally, if I was going to do this mod, I'd tap off the actual circuits for brakes, turn signals, and reverse light, because I would definitely not want to disable the blind spot detection system.

jsus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid AWD šŸ˜‰
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Since using the trailer connection disables the blind spot warning system (I wish that was configurable)
As it should.

BLIS monitors right next to the vehicle itself. Not the trailer. Relying on BLIS when a trailer is connected means you're not checking the blind spot next to the trailer. That's how you get people who aren't used to towing a trailer, changing lanes right into another vehicle, for instance. You need to be scanning the full length of the combined Maverick + trailer, not relying on BLIS.

Sponsored
OP
OP
MostlySafeBear

MostlySafeBear

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
As it should.

BLIS monitors right next to the vehicle itself. Not the trailer. Relying on BLIS when a trailer is connected means you're not checking the blind spot next to the trailer. That's how you get people who aren't used to towing a trailer, changing lanes right into another vehicle, for instance. You need to be scanning the full length of the combined Maverick + trailer, not relying on BLIS.
I'm fully aware of every bit of that.

And I still wish that the trailer tow disabling of BLIS was configurable because not everything that is plugged into the trailer electrical connection is a trailer. Alternatively, there should be a Ford-sanctioned way to install things like LED turn signal strips.

Also, Ford has trailer-aware BLIS on the F-150. It should trickle down to the Maverick eventually.

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

And I still wish that the trailer tow disabling of BLIS was configurable because not everything that is plugged into the trailer electrical connection is a trailer.
Ya, like a trailer brake controller.

You are supposed to be using the 120 VAC outlets to power your electric shaver and cappuccino maker, not the trailer wire harness.

OP
OP
MostlySafeBear

MostlySafeBear

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Ya, like a trailer brake controller.

You are supposed to be using the 120 VAC outlets to power your electric shaver and cappuccino maker, not the trailer wire harness.
Don't be obtuse and pick and choose what I said. I was very clear that it was for LED turn signal strips. 120 volt outlets do not provide turn signal indications.

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs