Sponsored

clippedwings

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Transit Connect
The hood is probably acting just like an aircraft wing. The slight curve is like the curved top of a wing. Air moves faster over the curved top surface, thus creating negative pressure, and trying to lift the hood up (it's trying to fly!). The more the disruption of the airflow, the more burbles you get in the flow, and the more turbulence you will have (as with a bug shield). Thus the bouncing. There could be slight differences in the hood curvature between different vehicles, depending upon the fit, accounting for why some have it and some don't. The likely reason the bouncing is occurring at the rear of the hood is because that is where the windscreen intercedes and forces the airflow to depart from the smooth "wing," which can also cause turbulence." The upturned winglets you see on some aircraft are there to help smooth the airflow as it separates off the tip of the wing.
Sponsored

WesM

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I've got plenty of shake from my hood. 40-60 mph is starts to lift smoothly. Above 60 mph and it's not smooth anymore. I've got the hood air deflector on my truck, so I wonder if that accentuates the matter. Reading from the 2nd post, that was part of the issue with the F-150.

Accumulating the issues before making the trip to the dealer for some warranty repairs. This and the back seat flop are the most annoying issues at this point. The hood shake could eventually become expensive and even dangerous, so it take precedence.

Video of Maverick Hood Above 60mph (sorry it's not cleaner - holding the phone with one hand)
Oh thats terrible. I hope Ford fixes that asap. Does the hood flex much when you push on the rear portion while stationary? Its almost like the hinges are not holding it tight in the rear.

derfolo

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Volvo XC 40
I noticed the MPG on the dash was 17.0 MPG?!? What circumstances led to such mileage?

clippedwings

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WOW!
That's scary! Could be factors I mentioned above, but your video shows how thin and supple that sheet metal is. If you grabbed a piece of paper or thin cardboard by the leading edge and held it out your window at 60 it's trailing edge would do exactly what your hood is doing! Looks like an attempt by Ford to save a buck, is coming back to bite them! I'll bet my right arm this is no "attachment" issue. Now I'm concerned about MY (someday) vehicle!

Lucius

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Lucius
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Africa Twin Adventure Sports
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I noticed the MPG on the dash was 17.0 MPG?!? What circumstances led to such mileage?
Around-town driving for a day. Mileage isn't great in these situations. I've had it for two weeks now. By the end of the week, I'm up to 24-25 MPG after doing plenty of freeway driving. I do have pangs of regret about not going with the hybrid. Fill-up at week was $70 for premium (I'll be doing a rotation of one Premium, three Regular Unleaded) at 16 gallons.

Sponsored

Lucius

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Lucius
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Africa Twin Adventure Sports
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The hood is probably acting just like an aircraft wing. The slight curve is like the curved top of a wing. Air moves faster over the curved top surface, thus creating negative pressure, and trying to lift the hood up (it's trying to fly!). The more the disruption of the airflow, the more burbles you get in the flow, and the more turbulence you will have (as with a bug shield). Thus the bouncing. There could be slight differences in the hood curvature between different vehicles, depending upon the fit, accounting for why some have it and some don't. The likely reason the bouncing is occurring at the rear of the hood is because that is where the windscreen intercedes and forces the airflow to depart from the smooth "wing," which can also cause turbulence." The upturned winglets you see on some aircraft are there to help smooth the airflow as it separates off the tip of the wing.
So... I hear you saying that Ford needs to give me a tailgate spoiler to balance out the truck?

Seriously, any ideas without having put eyes on the situation? Weights? Some washers under the hood? What's happening can't be good for the metal.

Awaiting word from my local dealership on how they want to proceed.

WesM

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
So... I hear you saying that Ford needs to give me a tailgate spoiler to balance out the truck?

Seriously, any ideas without having put eyes on the situation? Weights? Some washers under the hood? What's happening can't be good for the metal.

Awaiting word from my local dealership on how they want to proceed.
The hood sheetmetal probably does not care... the hinges and paint on the other hand probably do!

Big_T

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Has anybody verified if the hood is steel or aluminum?

WesM

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

clippedwings

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
First thing I would attempt would be to try and reduce as much gap as possible between the trailing edge of the hood and the cowl - Smoothing the airflow to allow it to continue uninterrupted up the windscreen. I’m talking about closing that gap as completely and smoothly as you can. It looks like the flow is departing at that gap and creating turbulence. It looks as though the thin Aluminum they used should have had more creases and bends to stabilize it. That’s about all you can do to strengthen thin sheet like that. Or add stiffeners to the underside. Don’t be surprised if the fix from Ford turns out to be a hood replacement that uses thicker material

Sponsored

The Weatherman

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux FX4 4K x 2
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
First thing I would attempt would be to try and reduce as much gap as possible between the trailing edge of the hood and the cowl - Smoothing the airflow to allow it to continue uninterrupted up the windscreen. I’m talking about closing that gap as completely and smoothly as you can. It looks like the flow is departing at that gap and creating turbulence. It looks as though the thin Aluminum they used should have had more creases and bends to stabilize it. That’s about all you can do to strengthen thin sheet like that. Or add stiffeners to the underside. Don’t be surprised if the fix from Ford turns out to be a hood replacement that uses thicker material
Since Ford built these trucks on a very thin budget and profit line, don’t be surprised if the Ford fix never comes. Just saying.

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
"Asked about materials, Ford spokeswoman Hannah Ooms confirmed the Maverick’s hood was aluminum. She indicated other parts were aluminum, but didn’t identify them."
Reynold's Wrap, or which brand?
First thing I would attempt would be...
...documenting and bringing it to the dealership. Only way Ford can fix first year bugs is if they are all brought to their attention, and any MacGyver self-fixes could jeopardize your warranty.

Transpression

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
I’ve done 1000 km on mine on the highway…no shake. Either air deflector issue or hood needs adjusting. This is not a systemic issue. Take it in and have your dealer look at it.

Area51BS

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
It’s called thin aluminum hood syndrome. Happens on more models from Ford and GM. No personal knowledge of other makes. GM fix was expanding foam between hood skin and bracing.

WesM

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Reynold's Wrap, or which brand?
Whichever recycled aluminum brand from China is cheapest :ROFLMAO:

In my trade we call it Sh*t aluminum. Kaiser or Alcoa aluminum is generally tighter spec and machines far better.
Sponsored