Sponsored

Hood mounted solar panels (for 12v systems)

bpcooper14

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 Nissan Frontier
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
That's interesting. I like that it doesn't "look" like a traditional solar panel.

OP
OP
bcording

bcording

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Lariat Hybrid
I was thinking this would be interesting to always have the 12v battery topped off and never have to worry about electrical drain from the truck sitting too long, fordpass, dashcams etc. When camping it could be disconnected from the primary battery and used to chargge an external lithium ion battery pack for use around camp.

Decayed

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
yes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a car
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
they are kind of expensive. You can get a flexible 100 watt solar panel on ebay for much less. I was thinking of getting one to keep behind the back seat. The flexible ones are very flat.

jpage8645

First Name
Jeremy Page
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 F150, 1973 Maverick, 2012 Tundra, 2020 F250

Sponsored

atomguy245

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevrolet Bolt EUV, Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I like that they look like the matte black hood decal, but yeah they are pricey for the output

EMD_Driver

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 F-350 DRW 6.7 / 2022 Maverick XLT 2.0 AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I have the hard tri-fold tonneau cover and got to thinking about mounting three appropriately sized panels on each of the cover's panels. Those flexible panels may be an option for the hard roll-up tonneau covers too.

Keeping the associated wiring hidden would be a whole other story.

As previously discussed, the orientation would be critical for optimum performance of the panels. Where I'm at in South Carolina, we tend to get lots of sun between all the torrential rains..

Decayed

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
yes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a car
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I have the hard tri-fold tonneau cover and got to thinking about mounting three appropriately sized panels on each of the cover's panels. Those flexible panels may be an option for the hard roll-up tonneau covers too.

Keeping the associated wiring hidden would be a whole other story.

As previously discussed, the orientation would be critical for optimum performance of the panels. Where I'm at in South Carolina, we tend to get lots of sun between all the torrential rains..
Shouldn't be too hard to hide the wiring provided you aren't squeamish about drilling holes in your tonneau. Keeping thieves from stealing them is another problem.
Sponsored