Sponsored

Honda/Toyota buyers seeing the "Light"??

fossil

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
95 SVT Cobra Mustang, HPR Lariat Tremor
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
While this is not entirely new news I find it amazing that some think Ford should have been able to predict the result.

Connect

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Honda Accord, 2023 Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Mavrcktrk

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW TDI
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Sponsored

skadizzle

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat BAP
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I'm coming from a 2018 Rav4 and this will be my first Ford, truck, and hybrid. Unfortunately this will also most likely be my last Ford and will switch to a competitor if they have one when its time to purchase again. I've had it with their incompetence. I am also a Ford stockholder and the stock was doing great for awhile with all of these new models that they couldn't build fast enough! Unfortunately...they couldn't build them fast enough and now their stock is tanking.

cavemold

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick 2022 Eco 2.0
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Well I think people are seeing the prices of Honda and Toyota isn’t worth it when you add fuel consumption . The taco is soon to be fossil when it comes to getting good Mpg . Their next taco better be hybrid or I don’t see as many new buyers .

Saul T Knutz

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Crown Victoria
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Until Toyota and Honda start making a hybrid competitor. Personally, I think they can do it and produce more units than Ford can in a MY. How many think either will have a competitor soon?
Depends on how soon you think is soon. No official word from either company yet, so that leaves out 23, maybe 24/25. My money is on Toyota coming to the market before Honda (if Honda comes at all). Toyota likes to test, test, and retest before coming out with new models, Taco will be overhauled before Hybrid truck comes to market, but I could see a scenario where there's a hybrid Taco and Tundra before 30, and they might skip the FHEV (?) train and do a plug-in variant of the two...might even attempt to blow everyone's mind and do a full electric or hydrogen model

fishinmagician

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 maverick hybrid XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I am a longtime honda/toyota fan. I have had them all, Honda, Acura, Toyota, Lexus. Also had old ford ranger, f-150, windstar and flex. Still have the Lexus. Honestly I only bought a Ford because honda or acura don't offer a maverick alternative.

There is no question honda and toyota are way higher quality (at least they were, not sure about the new ones) compared to ford. I am not planning on keeping my maverick longer than 10 years, I just don't see the quality. My Lexus is 20 years old and it still has another 10 years in it at least.

Having said that, I love the maverick! Can't beat it for the price

Sponsored

AznMav

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hybrid Lariat Built 3-9-23, Chevy EUV, Lexus RX350
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I am a longtime honda/toyota fan. I have had them all, Honda, Acura, Toyota, Lexus. Also had old ford ranger, f-150, windstar and flex. Still have the Lexus. Honestly I only bought a Ford because honda or acura don't offer a maverick alternative.

There is no question honda and toyota are way higher quality (at least they were, not sure about the new ones) compared to ford. I am not planning on keeping my maverick longer than 10 years, I just don't see the quality. My Lexus is 20 years old and it still has another 10 years in it at least.

Having said that, I love the maverick! Can't beat it for the price
The new Toyotas and Hondas don't feel like the quality of old. Toyota allowed parts that previously couldn't pass qc to be allowed for their builds because of supply chain issues. Their brand new tundra has turbo waste gate issues. Wheels are literally falling off of their bizarrely named new EV's. Ford knows how to make trucks so I feel like the Maverick will last while Toyota is busy putting a turbo 6 without giving the option for the tried and true V8. Hybrid tundras that don't improve on gas mileage was a head scratcher as well. The Maverick hybrid power train is essentially the same as the Prius as they have cross licensing IP agreements for it. I'm typing this while sitting in my RX350 so pains me to say it but when my Maverick comes I will happily enjoy the fuel efficiency and new experience of being a first time truck owner.

Wojty

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Benjamin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CG EcoBoost Mav, '98 Tacoma
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Had a Ridgeline that failed inspection this year for rust (15 years old, 195k miles, has been incredibly reliable to that point). So went shopping, and just could not justify getting a current Ridgeline. It was an even split on price and poor mileage that turned me off of both. Looked at tacos and felt the same. A buddy with a 2023 frontier nearly talked me into that, but still didn't hit my price and mileage metrics.

So 2023 maverick is on order, and I lucked out with a friend of a friend selling an old 98 tacoma as my interim. (which, as an aside, is a wonderfully small truck and wish I could get something that size currently…sigh…)

FriscoTXJoe

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
Banned
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Everybody can blowhard opinions just like I am.

Simple fact is Ford created a new auto market segment.

Think this way:

Model T

F150

Mustang

Explorer

Maverick

Catch up bitches.

bgn

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Previous Honda owner. I'm here because the Ridgeline is trash for how much they're asking for it.

The Maverick will continue to lead in the low end, but I'd put my money on at least Toyota to launch a direct competitor where a Maverick may no longer make sense for some buyers at the 35-39k range. Maybe it'll happen after the redesigned Tacoma...

hopsnbarley91

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Toyota Sienna, 2022 Ford Maverick XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Honda and Toyota owner here. I'm taking my chance with Ford because the Maverick meets everything I need in a vehicle. I'm hoping the Maverick will be reliable.

I drove a 2001 V6 Accord to 350k miles before I traded it in and bought a brand new Civic in 2013. Currently over 200k miles on the Civic. Wife is driving a 2014 Sienna at 150k miles.
Sponsored