First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Occasionally I have a need to carry longer items, wood, steel, ladders, but have no desire to have items sticking out the back. A simple front of the bed rack allows one to prop long things over the cab with the bottom into the bed/tailgate. However I wasn't able to see anything specific to the Maverick that didn't involve either drilling holes through the side rails or clamping to the rails.

The XLT and Lariat have bed tie down rings at the front as well as the upper and lower side tie downs, front and rear. My goal was to fabricate a rack that could be easily installed and removed using those existing mounting spots. A "no drill, no clamp" alternative.

I had quite a bit of 1" square steel tube already on hand, so used that. For someone with a proper tubing bender, using round tube would work better for the front rack. After completing the front rack I saw how easy if would be to also make a rear rack from the same square tubing, and how that square tube perfectly fits the vertical notch at the rear of the bed. Very easy. I'm just an amateur welder, but I think these turned out quite well, and despite the appearance of being small, each will easily support more than 200 pounds and are very stiff fore and aft.

I can remove the 8 tie downs and install the 2 racks in less than 15 minutes. Removal is even faster. I did find that all of the tie down threaded holes benefited from using a tap to clean the threads, even though they all had the factory installed machine screws. 8mm x 1.25 tap for the floor D rings and 6mm for the side tie downs. Longer 6mm screws were required for the rear rack installation.

I think a good commercial fabricator could easily make these with a proper jig, or combine them into a complete over the cab ladder rack.

My first post. Cheers.

Ford Maverick Homemade Bed Racks, Front & Rear IMG_5283
Ford Maverick Homemade Bed Racks, Front & Rear IMG_5284
Ford Maverick Homemade Bed Racks, Front & Rear IMG_5202
Ford Maverick Homemade Bed Racks, Front & Rear IMG_5204
Ford Maverick Homemade Bed Racks, Front & Rear IMG_5229
Ford Maverick Homemade Bed Racks, Front & Rear IMG_5228
Sponsored

Last edited:

raymaines

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Alto Blue Lariat Lux Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Genius!!

MetalsGeek

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rough
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Mustang GT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I wanted flexibility to address my own unique requirements, so I built a folding ladder rack that mounts on Truxedo's T-slot rails. I bought the ones for "short bed" pickups and shaped the ends to fit the Maverick's unique coutours. Building the rack was way more work than I would have liked, but it does what I need. I think it's a hoot that we both protected the shark fin antenna similarly.
Ford Maverick Homemade Bed Racks, Front & Rear Ladder Rack U

Ford Maverick Homemade Bed Racks, Front & Rear Ladder Rack Dn

It attaches with clevis pins so I can fold it up or down without tools, or remove it from the mounts in about 3 minutes. The gas-filled lift support is there mainly to prevent overtravel, since the removable hard links hold the uprights in position otherwise.

Ford Maverick Homemade Bed Racks, Front & Rear Ladder Rack Detail

DPMaverick24

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1969 912, CRX5
Engine
Undecided
Well Done - I really like this fold down concept.. The fabrication is brilliant.. " I always love a good Tig weld". If your ever in the mood to build another let me know.. I'm in SoCal and waiting on my new 24 build to start this month

culprenski

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Timothy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Maverick XL
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Occasionally I have a need to carry longer items, wood, steel, ladders, but have no desire to have items sticking out the back. A simple front of the bed rack allows one to prop long things over the cab with the bottom into the bed/tailgate. However I wasn't able to see anything specific to the Maverick that didn't involve either drilling holes through the side rails or clamping to the rails.

The XLT and Lariat have bed tie down rings at the front as well as the upper and lower side tie downs, front and rear. My goal was to fabricate a rack that could be easily installed and removed using those existing mounting spots. A "no drill, no clamp" alternative.

I had quite a bit of 1" square steel tube already on hand, so used that. For someone with a proper tubing bender, using round tube would work better for the front rack. After completing the front rack I saw how easy if would be to also make a rear rack from the same square tubing, and how that square tube perfectly fits the vertical notch at the rear of the bed. Very easy. I'm just an amateur welder, but I think these turned out quite well, and despite the appearance of being small, each will easily support more than 200 pounds and are very stiff fore and aft.

I can remove the 8 tie downs and install the 2 racks in less than 15 minutes. Removal is even faster. I did find that all of the tie down threaded holes benefited from using a tap to clean the threads, even though they all had the factory installed machine screws. 8mm x 1.25 tap for the floor D rings and 6mm for the side tie downs. Longer 6mm screws were required for the rear rack installation.

I think a good commercial fabricator could easily make these with a proper jig, or combine them into a complete over the cab ladder rack.

My first post. Cheers.

IMG_5283.jpeg
IMG_5284.jpeg
IMG_5202.jpeg
IMG_5204.jpeg
IMG_5229.jpeg
IMG_5228.jpeg
Awesome! Looks grea!

Sponsored

OP
OP

BLDDONR

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I wanted flexibility to address my own unique requirements, so I built a folding ladder rack that mounts on Truxedo's T-slot rails. I bought the ones for "short bed" pickups and shaped the ends to fit the Maverick's unique coutours. Building the rack was way more work than I would have liked, but it does what I need. I think it's a hoot that we both protected the shark fin antenna similarly.
Ladder Rack Up.jpg

Ladder Rack Dn.jpg

It attaches with clevis pins so I can fold it up or down without tools, or remove it from the mounts in about 3 minutes. The gas-filled lift support is there mainly to prevent overtravel, since the removable hard links hold the uprights in position otherwise.

Ladder Rack Detail.jpg
Very clever. Great minds…

MetalsGeek

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rough
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Mustang GT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Well Done - I really like this fold down concept.. The fabrication is brilliant.. " I always love a good Tig weld". If your ever in the mood to build another let me know.. I'm in SoCal and waiting on my new 24 build to start this month
Build ANOTHER? 🤪 Please just shoot me! Cutting, shaping, and welding all 24 mounting tabs took forever. Then there was the "precision" (sorta) machining so the holes line up. By the time I got to the upper gussets on the uprights, I was so burned out on attempting pretty welds I no longer gave a damn (and it shows!). I bolted the cross members instead of welding to avert alignment issues from my personal demon: thermal distortion.
Now I find myself pondering a DIY trifold tonneau from aluminum tread plate, because I want one that lays on top of the Truxedo T-slot rails and will fit the width between them. Most tonneau covers seem to have really fragile rails that get in the way when using a truck like a truck.
Enjoy your '24. The Mav is cheap and far from perfect, but most cars these days seem to be rolling computer networks and one fact of life is that "all non-trivial software has bugs." I miss the 80's but then I never got 47 MPG with a vehicle this big either. Gotta embrace progress in all its forms.

BobC

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Impala, 23 Maverick EB AWD Lux 4K Fx4 360
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Ladder Rack Up.jpg

Ladder Rack Dn.jpg

Ladder Rack Detail.jpg

BobC

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Impala, 23 Maverick EB AWD Lux 4K Fx4 360
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Always amazed at the group's creativity to make the Mav their own. I especially like the fold feature with struts. The only change if mine would be to make the top gussets on the bottom side of the rail. Great job!

Dad

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick, - Lariat, Hyundai Palisade
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Brilliant! Love the ingenuity shown here. I don't see why you couldn't market your idea/product. As you know, most companies started out from a garage!

Sponsored

MetalsGeek

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rough
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Mustang GT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Always amazed at the group's creativity to make the Mav their own. I especially like the fold feature with struts. The only change if mine would be to make the top gussets on the bottom side of the rail. Great job!
I kinda agree. For what it's worth, that was my initial plan. I made a last-minute decision to maximize the size of the rear panel in a planned fold-up tonneau cover that could still open when the rack was folded down. Putting the gussets on the top gave me an extra few inches there. In hindsight, putting the bolted connection on the uprights instead of the cross members would have made it a cinch to flip that over. We live and learn. Version 1 of anything always has a few warts.

Deweyordeweynot

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dewey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

My first post. Cheers.

IMG_5283.jpeg
IMG_5284.jpeg
IMG_5202.jpeg
IMG_5204.jpeg
IMG_5229.jpeg
IMG_5228.jpeg
Sweet! I'm not a welder (and I can't dance like Jennifer Lawrence) but I'd bet I could take this to a local fab shop and have them whip it up. Great ideas, this group has!

OP
OP

BLDDONR

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Sweet! I'm not a welder (and I can't dance like Jennifer Lawrence) but I'd bet I could take this to a local fab shop and have them whip it up. Great ideas, this group has!
Thanks. Square tube works great for the rear rack because of the location of the two tie downs. A fabricator with a tube bender would likely make the forward rack out of round tube, all in one piece.

RobertTheBruce

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Ladder Rack Up.jpg

Ladder Rack Dn.jpg

Ladder Rack Detail.jpg
Is there a reason you didn't use the truxedo t-slot rails they make for the Maverick? Advantages? Disadvantages?
Sponsored