First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
sold 22 Hybrid XL now 24 Hybrid XL, 57 Chevy 454ci
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
When I heard Ford would sell a NEW Hybrid vehicle for under $22k I decided I had to buy. I'm retired, age 70, bought the XL Hybrid Maverick for under $22k delivered. No other way to get a new vehicle (truck or otherwise) for $22K. Bought the Ford PremiumCare warranty for 8 year/60k miles zero deductible for $1000 more. By the time the warranty runs out I'll be 78 (if still alive). After 2 months it has 1000 miles, getting 45.6 mpg. I've added the cruise switches, just got the OBD connector, downloaded the Forscan program and will try programming tomorrow. Co-Pilot360 got me the power mirrors. One of the best decisions I've made in a long time by buying the Maverick.
Sponsored

tonyinsd

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT, Ford Maverick XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Oh it is definitely false economy to buy a new car to save on gas. Buy a Maverick because you want it and can afford it. Not for gas reasons.
As I like telling the EV cult members I know, even at California prices I can buy 9,000 gallons of gas for what they paid for their car. And at 18 mpg, that's 162K miles or essentially my driving for the next 11 years.

SLINGSHOT

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 RAV4
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

You can't take it with you anyway.
I just look at it as spending my son and daughter's inheritance.
Getting to the age where I'll either die very well off, or a nursing home will get it.
Three years ago, I bought a Polaris SlingShot. Dumbest, stupidest most worthless thing I ever spent $25000 on. BUT, jump on that puppy in 2nd or 3rd gear, and, suddenly, it was money WELL SPENT. :ROFLMAO::LOL::devilish:;):)

Reactions: bgn

stick

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep wrangler 4xe; 13 vw gli; 21 maverick xlt
I am thinking you might ought to consider the electric crate motor to put into your vanagon????
sounds like the perfect vehicle to do an electric conversion with!

14mustangNJ

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT FX4, 2014 Ford Mustang
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
My only gripe is I wish the Maverick had a larger gas tank. Gas savings by spending thousands on a new Maverick? Not a chance for me likely but I can pay off my Maverick tomorrow if I felt like it so it’s not a burden. The ability to avoid gas stations more often? That’s worth it to me alone and I think a lot of people forget this one fact and focus on the gas prices instead.

This is why I’m growing to love more fuel efficient vehicles based on gas station experiences on the east coast, except NJ because can’t pump our own gas here:
  • Idiots smoking cigarettes because they think they’re bad ass. Like you couldn’t walk the 10 feet over to the store front to smoke jackass?
  • Crazy people that while your pumping gas, you are questioning “was it a good idea to leave my key in the ignition to GTFO quickly or a bad idea as my car may suddenly start leaving without me?” as they silkily walk by your car.
  • Guy that has no clue on setting up sound deadening on a obnoxious old car with a system says “check it out” Me: “ I really can’t hear your music. I just hear rattling from every last panel from your car. And I think trim is popping off as we speak. Ok then don’t ask me for my opinion on your sound system dude!”
  • This TV in a gas pump was a great idea. Wife:.......Me: “I’m sorry I’m deaf now because the sound is cranked up to 130. But did you know it’ll be 95 in Washington, DC! We’re only going to Delaware but weather for states we don’t travel to is always relevant!”
  • Workers, Contractors and the like that will over block as many pumps as possible because of this... Worker: “God forbid I disconnect my trailer in that giant completely empty unused lot across from the pumps and put cones around it...10 feet away is too far!!...God forbid you pull out ahead of me in your vehicle that does 0-60 in less than 5 seconds while mine goes 0-60 in days!...I will take you out because my entourage of 10 trucks has to leave together always because how we find out where the worksite is? A map? Navigation? Using a cell phone? Sorcery I say little car!!!”
  • People up to no good that for some reason, want to be obvious about it. Sure pal, park that drug mobile right up by the front door and keep looking haphazardly back at everyone pumping gas at 7:39 in the morning on a Tuesday. Go in and out of the store 29 times in 2 minutes, gotta make sure that door chime is working properly!
  • Diesel pickups always running....and running..........still going! Diesel guy: “Oh wait, was I filling the tank? I just been here 6 hours pumping diesel bro, totally forgot to leave! Gotta keep it running yo because you know, diesels are hard to start when cold and the news said the highest temp today is 64 degrees and that’s chilly!”
  • Everyone at a gas station: I dump coffee now EVERYWHERE! Have fun next person stepping out of your car in those nice dress shoes! Oh think your slick because no coffee puddles outside your door? Think again once you get to the gas filler door! Got it there too!!!
  • Trash landscaping. I don’t know where one finds black goop and paper mache that I’ve never seen before but it’s always there for decoration at the pump.
  • So the gas station is where love is in the air? So now your telling me to F off for looking at you making out with your GF on the hood of a Silverado? Oh I’m sorry, I forgot this is normal for a gas station on Friday afternoon in Virginia near a school. Me: “Sweetheart, get out, we got stuff to do to show these people a thing or 2”.
  • Oh this pump again? Dammit. So this is going to take 20 minutes to fill up. And oh look, someone pulled up behind me already annoyed on my bumper so I have no room to move. Great.

Sponsored

06Warrior

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Person
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' HD Road Glide, 22’ Sporster S
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My only gripe is I wish the Maverick had a larger gas tank. Gas savings by spending thousands on a new Maverick? Not a chance for me likely but I can pay off my Maverick tomorrow if I felt like it so it’s not a burden. The ability to avoid gas stations more often? That’s worth it to me alone and I think a lot of people forget this one fact and focus on the gas prices instead.

This is why I’m growing to love more fuel efficient vehicles based on gas station experiences on the east coast, except NJ because can’t pump our own gas here:
  • Idiots smoking cigarettes because they think they’re bad ass. Like you couldn’t walk the 10 feet over to the store front to smoke jackass?
  • Crazy people that while your pumping gas, you are questioning “was it a good idea to leave my key in the ignition to GTFO quickly or a bad idea as my car may suddenly start leaving without me?” as they silkily walk by your car.
  • Guy that has no clue on setting up sound deadening on a obnoxious old car with a system says “check it out” Me: “ I really can’t hear your music. I just hear rattling from every last panel from your car. And I think trim is popping off as we speak. Ok then don’t ask me for my opinion on your sound system dude!”
  • This TV in a gas pump was a great idea. Wife:.......Me: “I’m sorry I’m deaf now because the sound is cranked up to 130. But did you know it’ll be 95 in Washington, DC! We’re only going to Delaware but weather for states we don’t travel to is always relevant!”
  • Workers, Contractors and the like that will over block as many pumps as possible because of this... Worker: “God forbid I disconnect my trailer in that giant completely empty unused lot across from the pumps and put cones around it...10 feet away is too far!!...God forbid you pull out ahead of me in your vehicle that does 0-60 in less than 5 seconds while mine goes 0-60 in days!...I will take you out because my entourage of 10 trucks has to leave together always because how we find out where the worksite is? A map? Navigation? Using a cell phone? Sorcery I say little car!!!”
  • People up to no good that for some reason, want to be obvious about it. Sure pal, park that drug mobile right up by the front door and keep looking haphazardly back at everyone pumping gas at 7:39 in the morning on a Tuesday. Go in and out of the store 29 times in 2 minutes, gotta make sure that door chime is working properly!
  • Diesel pickups always running....and running..........still going! Diesel guy: “Oh wait, was I filling the tank? I just been here 6 hours pumping diesel bro, totally forgot to leave! Gotta keep it running yo because you know, diesels are hard to start when cold and the news said the highest temp today is 64 degrees and that’s chilly!”
  • Everyone at a gas station: I dump coffee now EVERYWHERE! Have fun next person stepping out of your car in those nice dress shoes! Oh think your slick because no coffee puddles outside your door? Think again once you get to the gas filler door! Got it there too!!!
  • Trash landscaping. I don’t know where one finds black goop and paper mache that I’ve never seen before but it’s always there for decoration at the pump.
  • So the gas station is where love is in the air? So now your telling me to F off for looking at you making out with your GF on the hood of a Silverado? Oh I’m sorry, I forgot this is normal for a gas station on Friday afternoon in Virginia near a school. Me: “Sweetheart, get out, we got stuff to do to show these people a thing or 2”.
  • Oh this pump again? Dammit. So this is going to take 20 minutes to fill up. And oh look, someone pulled up behind me already annoyed on my bumper so I have no room to move. Great.
LOL. I agree on a lot of what you said.
Gas station TV. Like I care what some celebrity likes or dislikes or some irrelevant news I could careless about.

The thing I hate more than anything is the idiot cranking his crap music so loud people a block away can hear it. I really wish their back window would suddenly just shatter.

I like to get receipts for my gas but for some reason I always get the pump that is out of paper. Or the trash can that is between the pumps is out of paper towels to check my oil or the window washing squeegee is bone dry.

Yup a bigger gas tank so the less I have to go to the gas station the better.

rlhdweman

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
64 Caddy Fleetwood,73 Caddy Sedan,75 Eldorado Conv
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
You can never really come out ahead buying a new vehicle for the fuel mileage alone, unless you drive a bus or a dump truck, or your current ride is at the end of it's life. I wasn't in the market for a new vehicle as I had been priced out of a new one since 2019. Then the Maverick comes along, I don't like trucks & I don't need a truck, but this is so different, it's like the anti truck truck, & affordable, 25K+tax. It does everything a sedan or minivan does, only better. I went from a sedan that got combined mpg of 18 in 2004 to my Taurus that gets combined 23 & now I needed a vehicle with a higher seating position for entrance & exit (failing knees) & have been averaging 29-30 combined with the Maverick & have a box to haul stuff if needed. It's the right vehicle at the right time.

When you are at the gas station & that annoying tv on the pump is blaring, push the second touch button down on the right side & it should mute the thing.
Sponsored