First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick 2022 Eco 2.0
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
As to why i bought a new vehicle , my fusion needed a new throttle , had some bumps scratches, the linen roof cloth was starting unfold. It also had oil leak in front pan so the throttle + oil leak would be about 3.7k plus labor included. At 98k approaching the big 100k it was not economically sound to fix if it was only worth 4.3k by kellyblue book standards. Which what my dealer went off when I traded it in. The dealer ended selling it later for 10k. So 4.7k profit for them, its not like they made off like bandits. Given my ties to ford it was time to get new car or truck. I looked at some K5s , the bronco sport in person i wasn't feeling the crossover look. I thought about 29k ranger 2021 but it had some issues so i passed it on. Then i saw maverick orders about to close. Then i rushed to order it on the 11th of Jan.
3months later=TADA!

Ford Maverick Higher gas prices vs. spending thousands of $$ on a new car mave
Sponsored

bgn

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Before this, I had a 2002 Accord with 190,000 miles on the dash. No major issues outside of a slipping transmission from 1st to 2nd, but only when cold. The thing is, I knew if I dropped $1200 on a new timing belt, it'd last me to 300k. That's another 10 years...

It just didn't make sense to do that, so here I am. I didn't get the hybrid, though.

For those of you who are selling your old vehicles for minor issues, I would highly recommend seeing if you can do the labor yourself. I've saved myself thousands...just on brakes alone...

cavemold

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Unless you live in Southern California where many mechanic shops charge $100-$125 hourly shop rate.

If you don't have the know-how and/or desire to repair yourself........you can get upside down REAL QUICK in SoCal with repairs on older cars....
pep boys wanted 1.3k for front oil leak pan...... so yea

Woodjoints

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vanagon
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm late to the thread, but it's always been my approach that...

A vehicle is not an investment, it's a liability that drops value every day. Unless a certain model classic, it's just silly to buy a vehicle because "it's fuel efficient and saves money going to work". True, a V8 hemi and a hybrid are vastly different fuel economies, but at the end of the day if it's reliable and and you can afford it, then don't over think it.

For me, I bought it because I wanted a truck again to haul and tow stuff, to use for camping, and my wife's toyota yaris sedan I inherited (ugh) just can't do that. I looked for used older trucks in good condition, things from the 90s and early 2000s... and what I found is if I paid another 5-6k I could just buy this truck new. 32k for my Maverick vs 45-60k for a big boy truck, nope nope and nope. I refuse to pay more for a vehicle then I paid for my first home. At least home's appreciate generally speaking.

At the end of the day, to each their own buy what you want and can afford and stop worrying about gas prices. Gas always fluctuates. By a V8 Hemi now and gas price can drop. By a Hybrid and gas price can go up.

Live your life without over spending and you'll find you can afford gas prices and be prepared for the future. Lean toward saving money and cash spending and move away from putting everything on credit. Pay down your bills, move to being debt free and save for the future.

Good lord, I got off topic in that rant lol. Sorry, just my opinion, forgive me.
One thing I will mention about my above mentioned Vanagon. It's my third. The first two I sold, both of them, for about twice what I paid. I think this one will be no different.

cavemold

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
One thing I will mention about my above mentioned Vanagon. It's my third. The first two I sold, both of them, for about twice what I paid. I think this one will be no different.
Be careful if you sell too many the irs will be calling and you may be considered small dealership

Sponsored

teh603

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Subaru Outback, '09 Honda Fit
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
In my case, it's a matter of sunk costs. When my Colorado got smashed a bit over a year and a half ago, I needed something quick that I thought I could pull a small camper with. The used Jeep I got, needed about $5k worth of repairs at the time, and another $12k to get to where it could reliably pull a camper the way a Maverick hybrid even could.

So for me, getting a Maverick is about cutting losses. Gas mileage is icing on the cake.

As for resale value, I don't know if I'll ever understand the flipper mentality of "I want to maximize my value when I sell this." Bold of you to assume I'm ever going to want to sell.

mrjspence

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I mentioned this in another post. Traded in my 2021 Tesla Model Y = $0 gas

i had just over 13K in equity 1.5 years later w/ 14,000mi on odo. So I sold it and paid half of my hybrid maverick, paid $0 sales tax b/c of trading in Tesla, got Ford Credit’s 0% @ 36 mo financing deal and $750 student graduate discount, no msrp markup +secured last summer pricing which was about 1,200 cheaper (I had ordered this one).

now, I don’t drive much - that’s my disclaimer. No matter how much I loved driving electric over gas… the 42-51mpg I get in our hybrid maverick will never come close to what that Tesla cost despite it using no gas. That near $30,000 sticker difference Buys over 6,600 gallons of gas even at $4.50/gal! That will take me well over 270,000 miles on the worst mpg in the maverick.
I doubt the Tesla would last 270,000 miles - Maverick so basic it actually might with proper maintenance. Doubt I’ll have it even much over 120K mi tbh so…

If $$$ is all you care about the hybrid maverick is one of the best bangs for your buck compared to almost any other car or truck even hybrids (Prius, Honda, Hyundai, Kia etc etc)

Woodjoints

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vanagon
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Be careful if you sell too many the irs will be calling and you may be considered small dealership
3 in almost 20 years? I don't think so.

Before that I had a F150, a f250 and a Ranger. So I'm an ex- Ford truck guy.

I don't expect the Maverick to have that kind of resale value.

RRaynor2

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
There's definitely more considerations to buying a new car than just money savings from the increased MPG. The break even times based on gas prices alone are not attractive.

I hate to be that guy, and will probably be flamed for it, but some people might be attracted by reduced CO2 emissions of a more efficient car. I'm not a climate alarmist, but the reduction of emissions from increased mpg is non-zero for sure and directly contributes to reduced smog/pollution in cities across the world. Think of LA in the 70's (from what I've heard) and Mexico City now. Breathing cleaner air is important to me.

Each gallon of gas burned releases ~20lbs of CO2 (actually plant food) into the atmosphere.
If you go from a 20mpg car to 40mpg and drive 100k miles, that's a 2500 gallon difference. That's 50k fewer lbs of CO2 into the air.

Also important, at least to me, are the features of a new car that are hard to quantify in terms of value. New safety features, better integration with your smart phone (hands free text and call), more reliable and easier to use navigation, etc.

cavemold

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
3 in almost 20 years? I don't think so.

Before that I had a F150, a f250 and a Ranger. So I'm an ex- Ford truck guy.

I don't expect the Maverick to have that kind of resale value.
Oh I thought you were selling mavericks back to back my bad

Sponsored

mou

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Maverick Hybrid, '13 BRZ, '99 Impreza
I had nothing but small manual cars and my work commute is 94 miles both ways with traffic so it wasn't a comfy commute. I wanted a hybrid to do less visits to the gas station and also needed a truck to haul merchandise for my business. This fit everything I needed at a low price and the peace of mind that warranty has me covered for a few years

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Right now I have a 1985 VW Vanagon Westfalia. I love the car. It's one of the only cars that can seat four, sleep four, swallow up a quiver of surfboards or building supplies, and is easy to park. The 85's also have great ground clearance (11") to venture down service roads.

But...

mIne is a Tiico conversion (Audi/Jetta 2.0). It's a "franken motor" and the mechanic I use is retiring. I haven't found anyone else famiiar with the motor and I'm too old to tool up and learn.

MPG sucks - 16 city / 20 highway. And going up steep mountain roads takes humility (eg.- 25 mph at the top of Tioga Pass).

Final straw was a recent road trip in Arizona/Utah (we were driving my wife's Prius). In California the interstate speed limit is 70... but 55 for trucks or autos with trailers. :ROFLMAO: That means the big rigs are going about 65, which is the perfect cruising speed for the Vanagon. In AZ the limit was 75, in UT 80, which means the trucks are going 75-85 mph. The vanagon can go 70-75 but is not happy. That is passing speed, used for short bursts I just figured it would be a serious traffic liabilty going 65 anywhere outside of CA.

I looked into a Ford Transit or Mercedes Sprinter but then gas went past $6 a gallon and their 15 mpg sounded miserable.

I would love to keep the Vanagon. It's fun to drive- sitting on top of the front wheels, up high, like a... bus driver. Resale value keeps going up. It also has an immeasurable "cool factor" I cannot count the number of times people have come up and complimented the car or even offered to buy it. No one ever compliments our Prius.:unsure:

Times are changing. Waiting until June to order...
I am thinking you might ought to consider the electric crate motor to put into your vanagon????

Bob The Builder

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Butch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Cherokee ** 2023 Mav FX/4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I drive my truck about 2500 miles a year. The last thing I would do is trade strictly for mileage. It would never pay off at my age. i don't even buy green bananas I'm so old. :ROFLMAO: BUT, seeing has how I have decided to finally get rid of my venerable old '05 Ranger and step into something new and modern, I am getting a hybrid to get the most fuel efficient option I can find in the truck that I want.

The Mav will have a tough act to follow when it comes to reliabilty. Not so much on gas mileage. LOL.

reciprocating_ravioli

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pilot
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Gas mileage is an awesome perk.

There is also something to be said for having a new vehicle that fulfills a role AND gets good gas mileage.

For me it has been set of circumstances that will hopefully work out well - fingers crossed. I'll be moving a long distance and didn't want to trailer or ship my Pilot. I have an offer to sell it for a really good price. The Pilot is at the point where I'll need to spend a good chunk of money if I keep it (timing belt, tires, all the fluids).

Between the selling price and the cost of maintenance I'm already at the cost of a base Maverick. Then on top of if you get 17-18mpg vs 40 with a safer and more usable vehicle. It's a pretty easy choice for me.

MrKombi

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
For me...it is ALL ABOUT THE MILEAGE. I do a daily 100-mile OC-to-LA roundtrip.

I currently drive a 2003 Ram Hemi with 95K miles that gets 13 mpg on a good day.

My Hybrid Maverick should hopefully be in the 39 mpg range. That would TRIPLE my MPG!!

At $6 per gallon for my 500-miles a week in the Ram I am spending approx $230 weekly in gas.

At $6 per gallon that same 500-miles a week in my Mav would cost me approx $76 weekly in gas.

So with todays ridiculous gas prices...my Mav will save me over $8000 PER YEAR in fuel costs compared to my current daily driver. My base Hybrid will pay for itself in just fuel savings alone within the first 32 months........ Not to mention the peace of mind knowing that the car is new and under warranty.

With the Hemi.....I am just waiting for something to fail and be stuck with an expensive repair.... a repair that could exceed in price the value of the vehicle. That is a shitty feeling.....

FOR ME, BUYING A NEW MAVERICK IS AN EXTREMELY SMART FINANCIAL MOVE

CANT WAIT TO GET MY MAVERICK!!!!
Sponsored