Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Recent reports I’ve seen indicate that consumer spending is still strong, despite inflation/gas prices. So is manufacturing.
that's due to lingering effect of all the stimulus $ Gov't injected into economy because of COVID shut downs. Many economists say that is wearing off now and there likely won't be more. Also the CPI excludes "volatile" items like energy and food when reporting results. We've always lived within or below our means out of habit and survived recessions going all the way back to the 1980's. It'll get bumpy but pass eventually so just try to hang on while it plays out.
Sponsored

huunvubu

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If you believe WalMart, Target, and Amazon are a good indication of overall consumer spending then people are already and have been pulling back pretty drastically. All reported terrible quarters during last earnings calls.
What actually happened to both but Target especially is that revenue was as expected so that means customers still spent but that Target purchase costs for for goods were way higher than expected. That means costly inflation for goods hit Target but were not passed onto the consumer.

With the crappy quarter for both Walmart, Target and other retailers I expect costs for consumers going much higher at these stores which will hit retail inflation hard and customers pocketbooks more which will probably result in consumers spending less. Thus a vicious cycle.

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I almost crapped my pants after seeing my first $75 fill up (eco-boost).

Doesn't matter what you drive when gas is $4.50 (soon to be $6-$8 or more?) your average person can't afford to go anywhere or spend money on anything except groceries (since those too are almost 25-100% more on almost every category)

Long story short... a hybrid will mitigate the disaster but isn't actually a practical solution to the struggles we will face ahead if we don't right this ship.
Motorcycles mitigate the MPG issues even better than hybrids :sneaky:

CoryDallas8123

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi A4, Chevy Chevelle SS, 2022 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
What actually happened to both but Target especially is that revenue was as expected so that means customers still spent but that Target purchase costs for for goods were way higher than expected. That means costly inflation for goods hit Target but were not passed onto the consumer.

With the crappy quarter for both Walmart, Target and other retailers I expect costs for consumers going much higher at these stores which will hit retail inflation hard and customers pocketbooks more which will probably result in consumers spending less. Thus a vicious cycle.
Very true. Just watched a random episode of The Office and Michael said “I filled up with diesel, it was $1 cheaper.” Hahahahaha. Oh how times have changed.

Everything is more expensive and most expect massive pay checks just because.

Sponsored

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I paid $5.59 this morning at Costco here in San Diego
OUCH!! 37.59 MPG or not that still sucks
San Diego was my home from 1962-2017. Still have friends there. Me and wife permanently relocated to rural SW Colorado. We're retired and don't need to drive much to get anywhere we want to go. Our gas prices just hit $4.39/gal last week and that is highest it has been here in 5 years.

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I have a Suzuki Burgman when things get real ridiculous, and they will.
I have a bunch of 1970's Yamaha street twins in storage and the 2022 Beta300 in my avatar is street legal here if I want to register it that way. Being retired I only average at most 10 miles per day anyways and plenty to do staying home to keep busy too 🤷‍♂️ Been through this multiple times in my adult life already, and this too will pass...

Blue1005

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
With the fast rise of the price of gas I'm extremely happy I got the hybrid Maverick.
I got mine in December and I've gotten
37 mpg on every tank of gas!!!!

Expected this to be this high over a year ago, Will be getting worse too. Never would have gotten a mav if not for the mpg.

CG - All the way

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram, 2005, 2500 Diesel, 22 Lariat, Cactus Gray
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I can't ignore why it has taken 7.5 months to take delivery of a new vehicle. No apologies here. When I was young in the 60s and 70s, it took 6 weeks to receive an ordered car at most. And you could pick and choose options individually. The simple minds of this country also possess the majority of the common sense and work the hardest. Low fuel and food prices are a major indicator of the health of the country in general.
Please understand my use of the word "simple" was not referring in intelligence levels or the level of sucess based on societal judgement. It was referring to what I sometimes see as our society's ever-increasing satisfaction with: If I am okay, everything is ok. I think over the last 50 years (yes, I was around in the 60's also) each successive generation has become more insulated in their own world, one part of which is food and gas prices being low so more of our GDP is based on the purchase of items not necessarily leading to anything but fleeting happiness.

Maybe I am just coming full circle. Elvis Presley was evil and would lead to the ruination of my generation. We did ok with a "simple" work ethic.

I still substitute teach in middle and high school. Today's kids are still good kids with lots of potential; most lack motivation, often because of disinterest on the part of their parents.

My two cents and perhaps a little bit too much more. :)

Mach 1

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Hybr 2018 F150 Lariat 3.5 ECO
Tom, is that CG-all the way, anything to do with Coast guard? I served in the 70s as MK.

Its going to get worst before it gets better.

Sponsored

CG - All the way

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram, 2005, 2500 Diesel, 22 Lariat, Cactus Gray
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Tom, is that CG-all the way, anything to do with Coast guard? I served in the 70s as MK.

Its going to get worst before it gets better.
CG is for the cactus gray maverick color. Army '66-68. Thanks for your service!!

Stealth Raccoon

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 Chevy S10
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Whew! Filled up my tank @ $6.29/gallon this weekend - been driving like a little old lady but I am averaging about 29 mpg so far.

rlhdweman

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
64 Caddy Fleetwood,73 Caddy Sedan,75 Eldorado Conv
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I have a Suzuki Burgman when things get real ridiculous, and they will.
I had a 2002 Honda Silverwing 15 years ago & when I did the math it was saving me $160 a year after reg, insurance & upkeep, that was when fuel was $2, but I decided my life was worth more than $160. I have a friend who rode them also, one day he was hit in a lane change, no injury, but he said to me, "you know what's worse than getting killed on your motorcycle", I said no, what's worse, " becoming a paraplegic because of your motorcycle" I sold it 6 days later, no more 2 wheelers.

Mach 1

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Hybr 2018 F150 Lariat 3.5 ECO
Cg all the way, thanks for your service, however u showed your age, u were in 10yrs before me...

I tell people I saved life's, I didn't take them.

$6.29 gal ouch, that hurts, I filled up today, $4.08 gal Sunoco.

Timothyd

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Buick Encore, Miata, motorcycles
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I wish I had my Maverick right about now.
Oh yeah. Me too. Only good thing is it's getting warm out and my 750 motorcycle gets 75mpg. But, I need a truck.
Sponsored