A Dodge that drives Fords

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Taurus Ford Ranger
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I'm a newbie when it comes to towing things. On a 2.0 AWD Maverick with 4k package you can pull 4,000 lbs. With the same equipped 2.0 AWD Bronco sport you can pull 2,200 lbs. Minus the 4K package. And the sport weighs 14 lbs more. So my question is does it really come down to a bigger radiator and tranny cooler to be able to pull 1,800 lbs more. Will the Maverick be safe on the road pulling that much weight. Thank you.

Ford Maverick Help explain Maverick vs Bronco Sport towing Screenshot_20211111-150436~2

Ford Maverick Help explain Maverick vs Bronco Sport towing Screenshot_20211111-160148~2
Sponsored

Thrillhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I would imagine the Maverick would be safe towing more than 4,000 pounds. Ford isn't going to say a truck is safe to tow 4,000 pounds if it isn't and take on that liability.

Rob Cactus Gray

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 Prius
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The hardest thing is keeping the transmission cool. So the upgrades are needed to tow more. It is more than capable of doing it. You will also need to change the fluid in the tranny every 30k miles if you tow frequently.

FortyFiveNorthoods

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Lariat FX4 4K
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The hardest thing is keeping the transmission cool. So the upgrades are needed to tow more. It is more than capable of doing it. You will also need to change the fluid in the tranny every 30k miles if you tow frequently.
Additionally, the longer wheelbase helps with towing.

rupzuk

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep, GMC, Harley
Stability, yes, but that can be fixed with correct hitch selection and suspension tuning.
Backing up and general manoeuvrability the shorter platform wins hands down.
The tow capacity (or lack of it) really turned me off both Bronco’s. 3500 pounds on the full size is a joke, the Sport is useless for anything other than a bike rack.
Very disappointing.
Tow capacity is one of the big reasons I chose the Maverick.

djw479

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Mav Lariat Lux / '90 ZR-1 / '03 Yamaha V-Max
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I don't know specs for the Bronco Sport, but I have noticed in a few towing videos the reviewers mention all Mavs come with some type of trailer sway mitigation. I imagine its electronic but haven't seen any other details.

The longer wheelbase AND sway mitigation would raise the tow ratings for the Mav vs the BS.
Sponsored

Last edited: