First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
While waiting on my Maverick to be built... I was looking over the owner's manual online. I noticed the headlights control knob page showing the "Autolamps" in the 3rd position. I am a transit driver for our local Ford dealer. I've noticed all the newer models have changed as well. For years the "Autolamps" were in the 4th position, so it was habit for me to turn all the way to the right to go to "Autolamps". I've asked a few of the salespeople but none of them seem to know. Guess they missed that day of training, lol.

May seem trivial but does anyone know why Ford changed this? Just curious...
Sponsored

The Weatherman

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux FX4 4K x 2
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
🤔 That’s an interesting question. I hadn’t even realized it had changed.

rclee

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 XLT Maverick Lux,A51,Hybrid,Rear Slider.
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Don't they default to that setting anyway? I know every time I get in my Mav the lights are on auto.

jsus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid AWD 😉
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Auto lamps is in place of manual headlight on because they're pushing you to use this. As others have noted, the switch will default to auto. That means that no matter what position you leave it in, when you return to the v vehicle, it will be back in auto. Auto isn't the last setting as it's what you want to use unless you choose to go a step beyond to keeping them on the whole drive.

It's a safety feature and actually required under Canadian law now - but not US yet. Technically, it's one of the options to comply with the new Canadian requirements. The problem is two-fold - in Canada, DRLs have long been required, putting out some light ahead of you, but not full h headlamp brightness. Second, with the fancy instrument clusters with screens these days, you miss the hint of a dark instrument cluster that used to tell you your lights were off. So you see a glow ahead and your gauges are lit up - this causes many to drive without proper lights at night.

Could they have kept the placement? Sure, but they found this arrangement made more sense alongside the default-to-auto design of the switch.

Sponsored

Spook

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If you don't want the headlights on all the time (in the US), somewhere in the main menu is a place to make the switch manual. It will still indicate that it is in the auto position but the lights are not on. It is up to you to turn them on if you want. The only function you don't have control over is the wipers. If you turn the wipers on, the headlights will come on no matter where you have the switch.

rclee

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 XLT Maverick Lux,A51,Hybrid,Rear Slider.
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

If you don't want the headlights on all the time (in the US), somewhere in the main menu is a place to make the switch manual. It will still indicate that it is in the auto position but the lights are not on. It is up to you to turn them on if you want. The only function you don't have control over is the wipers. If you turn the wipers on, the headlights will come on no matter where you have the switch.
I believe that is for DRL only, so the auto headlamps should still come on if it gets dark. At least that is how I read it.

commadorebob

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Explorer Limited; 2023 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I have the dial in the Escape. I don't think I've touched it in two years.

Spook

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I believe that is for DRL only, so the auto headlamps should still come on if it gets dark. At least that is how I read it.
Could be. I haven't driven in the dark yet, so I have not seen it. I will pay attention when I do.

Sponsored

Dad

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick, - Lariat, Hyundai Palisade
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Don't they default to that setting anyway? I know every time I get in my Mav the lights are on auto.
You are correct.

Dad

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Defaults to Auto Lamp setting. Never have to touch that dial.
Your post brings to mind of how is it I see so many drivers with their lights off at night. I'm talking about new cars, expensive cars that surely have this feature. I'm guessing other vehicles default to auto-lamp. Are people turning off this feature? I travel about 15 miles down the freeway on a once a week appointment and it never fails to see at least 2 cars with no lights on.

LM42

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT FX4 EB
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Your post brings to mind of how is it I see so many drivers with their lights off at night. I'm talking about new cars, expensive cars that surely have this feature. I'm guessing other vehicles default to auto-lamp. Are people turning off this feature? I travel about 15 miles down the freeway on a once a week appointment and it never fails to see at least 2 cars with no lights on.
I see this ALL the time too. It makes me insane that people are that disconnected from their cars. This Maverick it the first car ive ever seen that defaults that way. Most cars the rotary has hard detents and you out it on auto it stays. But if you turn the lights off for any reason, it will also stay in the off position.

Dad

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I see this ALL the time too. It makes me insane that people are that disconnected from their cars. This Maverick it the first car ive ever seen that defaults that way. Most cars the rotary has hard detents and you out it on auto it stays. But if you turn the lights off for any reason, it will also stay in the off position.
That's a good way of putting it . . . "disconnected". When I sit in that driver's seat, that vehicle becomes an extension of myself and not just physically. If I'm not emotionally stable, I'm not going to be a good driver.
I didn't realize the Maverick is one of the few that defaults to auto.

OP
OP
tkistre

tkistre

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Auto lamps is in place of manual headlight on because they're pushing you to use this. As others have noted, the switch will default to auto. That means that no matter what position you leave it in, when you return to the v vehicle, it will be back in auto. Auto isn't the last setting as it's what you want to use unless you choose to go a step beyond to keeping them on the whole drive.

It's a safety feature and actually required under Canadian law now - but not US yet. Technically, it's one of the options to comply with the new Canadian requirements. The problem is two-fold - in Canada, DRLs have long been required, putting out some light ahead of you, but not full h headlamp brightness. Second, with the fancy instrument clusters with screens these days, you miss the hint of a dark instrument cluster that used to tell you your lights were off. So you see a glow ahead and your gauges are lit up - this causes many to drive without proper lights at night.

Could they have kept the placement? Sure, but they found this arrangement made more sense alongside the default-to-auto design of the switch.
Well, I had no idea. I love the "Auto" setting on my Edge. After setting it the day I got it, I've never changed it. It's just that I knew it use to be in the 4th position and now changed. If the vehicle goes back to "Auto" every time you get back in it, that's news to me. Thanks for the great explanation.
Sponsored