Sponsored

Have you changed your oil yet? Oil life monitor question.

Sjbuck2021

Banned
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Frontier /2018 Acura RDX
And most ford dealers
Not sure honestly didn't care too look is all covered so if it's what they recommend from Ford n it's free just say f it let them do their thing. Lifetime warranty on the engine btw
I believe they use a semi synthetic. My dealer is giving 4 free oil changes and said they would upgrade to full synthetic for $30. Should go full synthetic. It will flow almost instantly even in cold weather. That's important on a hybrid with the ice cycling on and off.
Sponsored

Geep

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT luxury hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Throw that oil monitor out and change your oil based on your driving habits and miles driven between changes.
Is that not and more what the oil life monitor is based upon? Starts, durations, ambient temp, engine load, idling time, throttle position and duration and more……
Big oil has us brain washed about auto oil changes, ask any European what their oil change frequencies are.
interesting read from an industrial point of view:
https://www.machinerylubrication.com/Read/29598/oil-analysis-report

Sjbuck2021

Banned
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Frontier /2018 Acura RDX
I have a friend who uses 25k mile amsoil. Goes the full 25k and spins a new filter at 12.5k. He has 300k miles on a hemi dodge ram and runs like new. No engine issues. Oils have come a long way.

TruckVille

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Alto Blue, 4K Tow, Luxury Package, Flux Capacitor
Any thoughts on whether or not frequent oil changes help reduce carbon buildup on the intake valves of the 2.0 EB?

AeroMech21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick XLT (Carbonized Grey)
I'm running the Amsoil 5w-30 signature full synthetic with the FRAM Ultra filter after I changed the factory oil/filter at 2,200 miles. I'll pull this oil change in 4-5k miles depending how I drive and inspect then. From what I've researched and gathered from others, on the turbo, it's best not to push past 5k on oil change intervals. Now, is that overkill? It might be, but I tend to err on side of caution and baby my stuff :D. The Amsoil stuff is pretty amazing and it's designed for the turbo boost engines. Not that expensive either if you grab the Amsoil preferred customer pass for $10/6 month or $20 a year.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Brian_J

Brian_J

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 R6, HPR Maverick AWD 4K
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I'm running the Amsoil 5w-30 signature full synthetic with the FRAM Ultra filter after I changed the factory oil/filter at 2,200 miles. I'll pull this oil change in 4-5k miles depending how I drive and inspect then. From what I've researched and gathered from others, on the turbo, it's best not to push past 5k on oil change intervals. Now, is that overkill? It might be, but I tend to err on side of caution and baby my stuff :D. The Amsoil stuff is pretty amazing and it's designed for the turbo boost engines. Not that expensive either if you grab the Amsoil preferred customer pass for $10/6 month or $20 a year.
Any thoughts on having a uoa performed? It’s like $30 and will tell you the REAL condition of your oil.

AeroMech21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick XLT (Carbonized Grey)
Yeah I might be interested in doing that to check it out for curiosity sake and see what the actual run rate of oil life realistically is. I think the biggest thing I've come to understand with the more frequent changes is like Timmy mentioned above. The fuel dilution in the oil is the main trigger for doing more frequent changes to eliminate that dilution/contamination in the oil with the direct injection (eco) engine. The oil otherwise would be fine to run longer.

Rob Cactus Gray

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 Prius
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Any thoughts on having a uoa performed? It’s like $30 and will tell you the REAL condition of your oil.
Im going to be sending mom in on the first few changes to get a baseline.

dalola

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sunsetridgecabinhockinghills.com
Vehicle(s)
F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Nah, it's better to just do like your grandpa, and change oil every 3k.....don't wanna find out how much money/resources you've been wasting over the years..... 🤭

Maverickgirl

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Sue
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick XL EcoBoost
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
For those that have changed their oil already, did the oil life monitor reset on its own? Or did you have to reset it manually? Just trying to determine how “intelligent” it is.
they reset it all during service!

Sponsored

azadv

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hybrid XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have a friend who uses 25k mile amsoil. Goes the full 25k and spins a new filter at 12.5k. He has 300k miles on a hemi dodge ram and runs like new. No engine issues. Oils have come a long way.
Unless your engine is prone to fuel contamination in the oil.

Mavonorder

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camry
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Tbh I only changed it when I did because it's part of my warranty. Free oil changes till 100k through US warranties. Along with alot of other stuff...
How much was your warranty?

TheSEARCH

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
First off no big oil is behind when to change your oil. Now my info is rather dated but I will give it to you anyway. I worked at Chevy dealer back in the late 80's till about 96. Oil gets dirty from piston blow by. Exhaust gas gets past the piston rings and contaminates the oil. That still happens and no piston rings have no that much improved.

So with that said we had some Government vehicles which followed the oil change guidance in owners manuals. Well those engines gummed up big time. Then if you read the fine print in owners manual it said only follow if under normal conditions. Well what was that. it was a whole host of things no one could possibly meet. Examples, drive car at minimum 25 miles every day to fully warm the oil to burn off any condensation built up in oil. Then they had a parts per million in dust in air. . . Temp had to be 72 F. and on.

On all my new cars i change the oil first at 1000 miles. New engines have all sort of filings inside during initial break in. Yes rings and bearings, camshafts have a break in. small metal particles I want them out. i used to build race engines too back on the day. Mostly small block chevy or big blocks.

I am sure many will see thats ancient tech. Maybe so but mechanics of engines aren't that much better. fuel delivery and design has greatly improved but tolerances you may think are better but there not. You can only do so much with piston rings which is the main cause of dirt getting into oil.

Take it for what its worth. ignore if you don't like it.

oh I change my oil at 5K I don't have a Mav yet I have Ford Ecosport 2.0 now. it uses ford Synthblend oi. l What does the hybrid 2.5 call for? should be in owners manual

MLowe05

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Tesla MYP & M3RWD
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
All of you who constantly pound "metal flakes/particles/etc" in the oil due to break in need to put your oil analysis where your mouth is.

Someone change it at 1,000 miles and let's see the report showing this contamination.

It's BS - a relic of the past.

OP
OP
Brian_J

Brian_J

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 R6, HPR Maverick AWD 4K
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
All of you who constantly pound "metal flakes/particles/etc" in the oil due to break in need to put your oil analysis where your mouth is.

Someone change it at 1,000 miles and let's see the report showing this contamination.

It's BS - a relic of the past.
Upvote for UOA!
Sponsored