Sponsored

Have any of you replaced the rotary shifter with a normal one? ?

Altivo

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Altivo
Threads
Reaction score
Website
altivo.dreamwidth.org
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Haven't got my truck yet, but I don't expect it to be a big deal. At age 72 last fall I got the first automatic trans I had driven in over 50 years, and it only took a week or so to stop going for the clutch pedal or reaching out to down shift at a traffic light. Now that I'm once again accustomed to the automatic, it hardly seems likely to matter how it shifts, given how rarely you need to shift at all.

As far as substituting some kind of shift lever, I'm sure you could do it if money is no object. But it hardly seems a worthwhile goal. Heck, for enough money you could probably make it accept voice commands. [Not that I'm recommending such a thing.]
Sponsored

MavDave

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I've been in my Mav for a little over a month, and 3600 miles. It is the first vehicle I've paid for in the past 24 years to not have a manual transmission. And that shift wheel irritates me every time I have to touch it. I will probably eventually so a Focus RS manual transmission swap... but that will be YEARS down the road. I may consider adding paddles at least like I saw o e guy doing in another thread.

Morgan33

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Morgan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You mean like......3 on the tree? No possible. Think of the dial as a PS4 controller. You could 3d print some monster maybe to hold a skull or something.

Sponsored

kmish203

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Renegade
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Some clam would rough house the thing into gear and break it. Then post a thread on how cheap the dial is etc etc.
MY wife's 2020 Escape has a hard stop for park and drive. It feels pretty solid but not everything can be idiot proof. It was weird at first in my Mav but it doesn't bother me any more. You can still feel the clicks of each gear mode.

pgstick02

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick, 2006 Mazda MX5, 1973 Super Beetle
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Would I like a proper shifter yes, but I can live with the Rotary shifter. Having paddle shifters to select gears would be nice though for those times it would be nice to be in a lower gear

I do not have mine yet so I am not sure the range that the low "L" button is for descending hills or other times lower gears would be wanted. The age of the shifter is vanishing with the advancement of technology.

That being said if I want to shift all the time I will just drive one of my cars that have a standard transmission.

Twinboat

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Jeep
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It seems that the dial shifter can be swapped out for a F150 shifter. Plugs match up but need some console cutting.

Sponsored

Timothyd

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Buick Encore, Miata, motorcycles
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Just wondering if any of you have replaced the rotary shifter with a normal one? If so, how much did it cost ?
I think the rotary shifter is becoming "normal". Just a little something to get used to.

Timothyd

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Buick Encore, Miata, motorcycles
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Not sure why anyone would want to do that. I get doing cosmetic changes to personalize and protect the truck, but why mess with such a complicated system? To what advantage? This truck is as much computer as it is mechanical. A regular shifter is not needed while the hockey puck creates the look of a more spacious cabin.
Plus it makes it easier for your girlfriend to slide over and sit on your lap. How much trouble to convert to a bench seat?

• Wow
Reactions: Dad

Dad

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick, - Lariat, Hyundai Palisade
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Plus it makes it easier for your girlfriend to slide over and sit on your lap. How much trouble to convert to a bench seat?
Well, there is that among others.
Sponsored