GApeach

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sedan
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I’ve also got a Lectric bike and love it. But 60+ pounds is a lot for me to pick up to put in the bed of my Mav so I’m looking for a rack. Would you please tell me what bike rack you got?
thanks

OP
OP
Bobinmi

Bobinmi

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mr me.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
walking and talking
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I’ve also got a Lectric bike and love it. But 60+ pounds is a lot for me to pick up to put in the bed of my Mav so I’m looking for a rack. Would you please tell me what bike rack you got?
thanks
Fultyme RV 1300 Hitch Mount 2-Bike Rack, 200 lbs. Capacity
ordered mine at walmart.

RonFLA

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Ford Maverick Hauling the ELECTRIC BIKES...7k miles, 42.1 MPG avg...Lovin my Maverick Hybrid 93F10F38-4A07-4FA9-A732-8863C485342B

Congrats! Love mine too.

FriarPop

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Love the assist but always thought I'd take skinnier tires w/suspension than fat tires but it's where you go that decides.
The 2.0 has skinny tires and suspension!!! Its badass, I have 1000 miles on mine, average about 25 miles on my battery going about 15mph but am heavy rider. Even though its cheating a bit I lost some weight just because i love using it so much . Ordered the Premium version, best Ebike company and deal out there with the 2.0 and even premium.

Sponsored

stoptothink

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 VW jetta
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'd be concerned with the amount of weight on the hitch. The bounce on top of the weight of the bikes and bike rack considering the unsupported distance away from the hitch probably reduces the weight the hitch is capable of holding. I have an RV where some folks added a bike rack and bikes and it was rated at 350 lbs tongue weight. between the weight of the bike hitch and the bike along with the distance the bikes were away from the the hitch connection the tongue weight was reduced dramatically. Enough so that folks were forced to have a heavier duty hich welded to the frame or change what they were carrying.
Our e-bikes (eunoreau defender S https://eunorau-ebike.com/collectio...l-wheel-drive-commuter-electric-fat-tire-bike) are ~100lbs. each with both batteries and racks. We do take the batteries out, so probably closer to 80lbs. Our rack is rated for 200lbs., zero issues or concerns yet.

Old Hickory Trojan

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Crosstrek Spt ,23 SC AWD,02 Jeep 4x4, 17 Winbgo
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Our e-bikes (eunoreau defender S https://eunorau-ebike.com/collectio...l-wheel-drive-commuter-electric-fat-tire-bike) are ~100lbs. each with both batteries and racks. We do take the batteries out, so probably closer to 80lbs. Our rack is rated for 200lbs., zero issues or concerns yet.
Unless you have e 4k tow package with the heavier hitch instead of the 2000 tow package the weight of the bikes and bike rack are only part of the equation. The distance to the furthest bike from the hitch pin hole after you subtract 8 " to it and the weight of the bikes and bike rack determine how much weight the hitch tongue weight is rated for In my case a 350 lb tongue weight and 3500 pound rated hitch with a spare tire and spare tire carrier that was 22" from the hitch pin hole to the furthest distance to the tire derated that 350 pound tongue weight to 197 pounds and the spare tire and spare tire carrier weighted combined 168 pounds. so I was good to go. I don't know the distance your bikes stick out from the hitch pin and if you have the 4000 tow rating or the 2000 tow ratng but if its the 200 tongue weight and 2000 pound tow package I'd keep a close eye on it because in that case you probably exceeding the rating of the hitch since you aren't actually towing but rather hanging unsupported weight on the hitch which derates it's capability.

stoptothink

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 VW jetta
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Unless you have e 4k tow package with the heavier hitch instead of the 2000 tow package the weight of the bikes and bike rack are only part of the equation. The distance to the furthest bike from the hitch pin hole after you subtract 8 " to it and the weight of the bikes and bike rack determine how much weight the hitch tongue weight is rated for In my case a 350 lb tongue weight and 3500 pound rated hitch with a spare tire and spare tire carrier that was 22" from the hitch pin hole to the furthest distance to the tire derated that 350 pound tongue weight to 197 pounds and the spare tire and spare tire carrier weighted combined 168 pounds. so I was good to go. I don't know the distance your bikes stick out from the hitch pin and if you have the 4000 tow rating or the 2000 tow ratng but if its the 200 tongue weight and 2000 pound tow package I'd keep a close eye on it because in that case you probably exceeding the rating of the hitch since you aren't actually towing but rather hanging unsupported weight on the hitch which derates it's capability.
We do not have 4k tow. To date, no issues whatsoever and we've used it many many times. There is no give or sway at all. We do keep a close eye.

Arby47

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
57 Chevy, 59 Volvo PV544, E-Bike
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
thanks
I wrote about my experience with the Harbor Freight Motorcycle carrier that I returned, in another posting. It did not have the right spacing for the wheels and stuck way out, among other things.
Ford Maverick Hauling the ELECTRIC BIKES...7k miles, 42.1 MPG avg...Lovin my Maverick Hybrid 20220610_145525
Ford Maverick Hauling the ELECTRIC BIKES...7k miles, 42.1 MPG avg...Lovin my Maverick Hybrid 20220610_152515
Ended up just putting it in the bed.

FriscoTXJoe

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
Banned
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Maybe a silly question. What do you do that you drive that many city miles to average 42 mpg over 7,000 miles?

Sponsored

Mikknj

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mikk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT Luxury CO360
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Lovin my HYBRID. 42.1 mpg avg. Just over 7k miles.

20220529_122648.jpg
Screenshot_20220525-195449_Gallery.jpg
Lol - I regularly get 52 MPG and I saw 57 once but I haven't yet hyper miled to 59... And I don't drive like a snale. I drive slow - average. But I live in rural areas, lots of side streets and short highway driving. 80/20 city / highway.

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
YES, they absolutely fold and many people carry them folded in totes.
That's the way to go IMO, just slide them in and out of the bed! Buy a pool noodle and cut it in half and put one in between the two halves when folded, and you'll avoid any scratches. Best to get a plastic tote that is barely just big enough that has nice handles, makes handling easier (see below).

Just ordered two Lectric XP Lites ourselves, blue and sand colors. Its a cheapened but also lighter version of the Lectric XP 2.0. Pop the batteries out, and its only 39lbs per bike, easy enough to slide onto a bed with handles.

Wish I had a Lariat Hybrid to load them onto with these gas prices though, lol!

Ford Maverick Hauling the ELECTRIC BIKES...7k miles, 42.1 MPG avg...Lovin my Maverick Hybrid IMG_5952

JimParker256

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Area 51 Hybrid FE, 2014 Impala
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

You can't ride E-bikes anywhere.
Keep in mind:
Class 1: Pedal assist <=20 mph
Class 2: Pedal assist<=20 mph, throttle
Class 3: Throttle <28 mph
I strongly disagree with your opening statement... The vast majority of jurisdictions allow Class 1 & 2 e-bikes to be ridden anywhere a regular bike is allowed. Some places restrict the use of Class 3 e-bikes on their trails, while allowing the Class 1 & 2 e-bikes. There are some (fortunately only a few) jurisdictions that prohibit e-bikes entirely, but even those places rarely enforce it unless you're going ridiculously fast or presenting a hazard to fellow trail users.

Under the federal "uniform motor vehicle code", e-bikes that meet those three "Class" limitations are explicitly defines as "bicycles" just like the standard non-electric-assisted bikes, and are NOT considered "motorized vehicles" for the purposes of licensing, registration, etc. Only a few states deviate from that standard definition – usually by excluding Class 3 e-bikes, while still considering Class 1 & 2 e-bikes to be "bicycles."

E-bikes with over 750 watt (continuous, not "peak" power) motors, or that can go over 20 mph on throttle only, or more than 28 mph in pedal assist mode are generally classified as "motorized vehicles" (often falling into the "moped" definition) and require registration, licensing, and often mandate motorcycle type helmets (as opposed to "bike helmets" that are far less crash-worthy).

stoptothink

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 VW jetta
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I strongly disagree with your opening statement... The vast majority of jurisdictions allow Class 1 & 2 e-bikes to be ridden anywhere a regular bike is allowed. Some places restrict the use of Class 3 e-bikes on their trails, while allowing the Class 1 & 2 e-bikes. There are some (fortunately only a few) jurisdictions that prohibit e-bikes entirely, but even those places rarely enforce it unless you're going ridiculously fast or presenting a hazard to fellow trail users.

Under the federal "uniform motor vehicle code", e-bikes that meet those three "Class" limitations are explicitly defines as "bicycles" just like the standard non-electric-assisted bikes, and are NOT considered "motorized vehicles" for the purposes of licensing, registration, etc. Only a few states deviate from that standard definition – usually by excluding Class 3 e-bikes, while still considering Class 1 & 2 e-bikes to be "bicycles."

E-bikes with over 750 watt (continuous, not "peak" power) motors, or that can go over 20 mph on throttle only, or more than 28 mph in pedal assist mode are generally classified as "motorized vehicles" (often falling into the "moped" definition) and require registration, licensing, and often mandate motorcycle type helmets (as opposed to "bike helmets" that are far less crash-worthy).
If you don't ride like an idiot, nobody cares. Our bikes technically should be classified as "motor vehicles" (1500w, capable of >28mph in pedal assist) and I know several people who have WAY more power yet have never even heard of a single issue (in our area). We probably put more miles on our e-bikes than we do our cars; I for sure do, wife probably doesn't because she commutes to work (~50 miles round trip) twice a week.

JimParker256

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Area 51 Hybrid FE, 2014 Impala
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Yep - that's the KEY point, I think. Ride like a normal person, and people just treat you like a normal person. Ride like an idiot, and people try to ban ALL e-bikes. A little courtesy goes a long way!
Sponsored