Sponsored

Has Ford's Approach To Rolling Out The Maverick Dimmed Your Interest?

Rogueuser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger, Subaru Forrester
My need for a small truck was/is immediate, so I’m currently spending far more than it will ever be worth getting the old Ranger repaired knowing full well I won be able to recoup a fraction of the cost should the Maverick launch this year or next.
A Ford truck was my first choice for a replacement but if I can get a better warranty/maintenance deal with a Santa Cruz that will be the way I go and my OH will just have to deal with the idea of having to drive a ‘foreign brand’ (his words not mine)!
Sponsored

ElMaverick

First Name
S
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda 3
Engine
Undecided
We had our annual Govt Fleet meeting ,last week and the Maverick was covered. it will be about the size of the old Ranger. 5 passenger. late 2nd quarter reveal and order bank opening. 4th quarter marketing launch. That's about all they covered.
What's a marketing launch? Would that imply late year/early 2022 deliveries?

Ford Maverick Has Ford's Approach To Rolling Out The Maverick Dimmed Your Interest? Ford-Plant-Mexico

Clyde Fromona

First Name
Clyde
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 S10
The new Silverado strikes a nice profile.
Generally a Ford Truck man, if I needed a full sized truck, I'd consider a Silverado.

Ford Maverick Has Ford's Approach To Rolling Out The Maverick Dimmed Your Interest? 2022 Ford Maverick First Edition - First Real Life Pics 2

Reactions: Doc

MontanaEd

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PHEV- Volt
We had our annual Govt Fleet meeting ,last week and the Maverick was covered. it will be about the size of the old Ranger. 5 passenger. late 2nd quarter reveal and order bank opening. 4th quarter marketing launch. That's about all they covered.
So, a magic reveal by the end of June. Then nice glossy brochures available on the internet for Christmas. With trucks available ... Summer 2022ish? That would match the time lines they put out there for the Lightening.

Do they still even bother with those brochures we used to drool over before the internet?

Carmen Monoxide

First Name
Carmen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, Buick Regal
Yes. Unfortunately I scored a great deal on a Silverado Custom Trim I couldn’t pass up with the incentives.

I wanted to wait for the Maverick but with no timeline, I had to move on.

The Silverado is bigger than I wanted, but it’ll do for a while. Hopefully the Maverick is out by the time I’m next in the market as I was 99% set on it at one point.
This has been the issue with small trucks for decades. Buyer stops in to look at a Ranger or Colorado (let's say it is 2010) and the dealer almost immediately starts telling the buyer that the small trucks are for kids and delivery services, and what he REALLY wants is an F150 or a Silverado. Then he shows the buyer how he can have a full sized truck for just a few bucks more. But what they miss (over and over and over) is that there is a real market for smaller trucks, especially now that a "standard" truck is the size of a Kenworth. I have no complaints about my old F150, but dammit, I don't want a truck that is that big.

Sponsored

OP
OP

NDL

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I see the Maverick making the very old Ranger history.
I dunno about that; the old Ranger's drivetrains were bulletproof. If Ford packages the Maverick properly (as a vehicle that starts off as both low cost and simple), and eschews the silly "lifestyle vehicle" tilt, they might actually have something here.

Tennessee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fiesta ST
It's hard to be patient. As a retired couple we've decided to go to one vehicle. Just sold my faithful 21 year old Subaru wagon, that was my hauler. Now we're down to the 4 year old Subaru Impreza hatchback. I like the car but have already had instances where the cargo capacity is lacking... and I'm not even doing any projects! Although I think the Maverick would be perfect for us, there is no way I'll know for sure until my wife can actually drive one, to see if she's comfortable. Years ago she loved our son's Ranger and Comanche small pickups so there is a thread of hope. Figuring that the Maverick will be close in interior space to the Bronco Sport, it would be almost identical to the Impreza, which is perfect (we're small). The Maverick only looks to be about a foot longer than the old Legacy, and with a backup camera that shouldn't be an issue. See, I can justify all day long, but she's got to drive one! I'm also hoping that used car prices say high to make it easier to justify the cost (yeah, right 😜).
Consider getting a hitch and a small utility trailer. Cheap and effective!

Tennessee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fiesta ST
I actually have a utility trailer. But I also have a very small garage, so it’s either cram everything in or get the trailer from my son’s storage building. The bed on the Maverick would be perfect for 95% of my hauling. Besides, everything I haul is light and I’ll be honest, a light load and a light trailer and I am the world’s worst at backing it up 😁
Small utility trailers are evil to back up. They are too short and turn way too quick! I've got a number of them, including a really small 3x4 that I put 1x2 goal posts on the back of so that I can see it when I'm backing up.

Sponsored

rtcraft89

First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes E-500
This has been the issue with small trucks for decades. Buyer stops in to look at a Ranger or Colorado (let's say it is 2010) and the dealer almost immediately starts telling the buyer that the small trucks are for kids and delivery services, and what he REALLY wants is an F150 or a Silverado. Then he shows the buyer how he can have a full sized truck for just a few bucks more. But what they miss (over and over and over) is that there is a real market for smaller trucks, especially now that a "standard" truck is the size of a Kenworth. I have no complaints about my old F150, but dammit, I don't want a truck that is that big.
A dealer didn’t sell me on it. I sold myself on it. 6k in rebates for exactly what I needed. Colorado was all I was going to consider if I didn’t need the Maverick and with the rebates they were within a couple thousand dollars of each other, no brainer for me.

I really hope to look back at the Maverick within a few years, the dimensions both inside and out seemed perfect for me along with the price.

rtcraft89

First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes E-500
They are really nice trucks, but a 2.7 liter four cylinder??
Have you driven one? Looked at the specs? I wasn’t sold at first either, but outside it not sounding like a “truck” when you fire it up, what else are you really missing that a normal person would need?

310 HP, only 45HP less than the 5.3L V8
348 lb ft of torque, only 35 less than 5.3 V8
Tows up to 9600lb, only 1900 less than 5.3 V8

Also, the features you get for low-middle trims like the one I got are much more appealing IMO than what Ford offers.

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I'm not seeing anything wrong with their approach now? I do think they could have picked a more relatable spokesperson for the campaign. For me It will still come down to a choice of cheapest 2.0 AWD configuration and using motorcycle/utility trailer on occasion vs. waiting on new Ranger for me. Fortunately I have time to wait it out before buying.

Charles

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Edge
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I dunno about that; the old Ranger's drivetrains were bulletproof. If Ford packages the Maverick properly (as a vehicle that starts off as both low cost and simple), and eschews the silly "lifestyle vehicle" tilt, they might actually have something here.
I actually meant "ole" Ranger
Sponsored