Sponsored

Has Ford's Approach To Rolling Out The Maverick Dimmed Your Interest?

oljackfrost

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They're all sold, waiting for Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Subi should be able to pull a small lightweight utility trailer for occasional bigger loads and hauling. Trailers are cheap to own and little mechanical maintenance needed if they don't get used much... Could at least be a stop gap until Mavericks are in showrooms to test drive.
I actually have a utility trailer. But I also have a very small garage, so itā€™s either cram everything in or get the trailer from my sonā€™s storage building. The bed on the Maverick would be perfect for 95% of my hauling. Besides, everything I haul is light and Iā€™ll be honest, a light load and a light trailer and I am the worldā€™s worst at backing it up šŸ˜
Sponsored

OP
OP

NDL

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I've been looking at used F150s/Rangers but the pricing is ridiculous, like $15K for a 10+ year old truck with 150K+ miles. Longer term I won't need a large truck so Maverick's combination of fuel economy, size and price are a better fit.
Your situation describes mine perfectly.

Can't say I disagree, I think Ford is unwise to just leave the Maverick project in the dark. There's been enough press and buzz that I genuinely doubt they'd cancel it at this point, but they've done nothing to get people hyped for this thing since that original factory "leak" (let's be honest, if it was under such tight security there wouldn't be a finished car wrapped in camo just sitting on the factory floor. Call that photo what it was, a PR stunt).
I agree wholeheartedly.

This whole thing has just about all of us looking elsewhere, I have been looking at Bronco Sports, Doc just got a new Ranger, Some will be looking at the Santa fa's and others are going the used route.
Ford seemed to be moving right along with the Maverick project and now nothing. I don't understand it at all.
I don't understand it either, which has me thinking that Ford is grappling to bring the Maverick to market.

OP
OP

NDL

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
While it's frustrating to now know more or see the final product and have a hard release date, I'm still really interested. I plan on driving my Crown Victoria into the ground and will only replace it when a much better alternative comes along. And the Maverick so far seems to be that: way cheaper than a Ranger or F-150 while still having the practicality of a truck. I could have the same passenger capacity of my CV while actually having more "trunk" space...and it's hard to find a vehicle with more trunk space than a CV. Plus it would be great to have some modern features and creature comforts as my CV's most luxury feature is probably its power driver seat. :LOL: My only concern is if something were to happen to my CV, like even a minor accident, it'll end up totaled and I'll need to replace it with something. Without any light at the end of the tunnel for the Maverick I would be forced to go with something else.
I plan on doing the same with my current Ranger, although lately I am wondering about how long it'll hold up.

My Ranger was a phenomenal truck...

Yes. Unfortunately I scored a great deal on a Silverado Custom Trim I couldnā€™t pass up with the incentives.

I wanted to wait for the Maverick but with no timeline, I had to move on.

The Silverado is bigger than I wanted, but itā€™ll do for a while. Hopefully the Maverick is out by the time Iā€™m next in the market as I was 99% set on it at one point.
Congrats on the Silverado; I am thinking of the Ram Classic 1500 for the same reasons; the new Ranger is a nice truck, but the Ram is shorter, and it's ZF transmission is bulletproof.

I have certainly cooled a bit on the Maverick, and the new small pick-ups, in general. I like the idea of a small pickup, because I want a bed vice SUV cargo space. Yet, I can't justify spending the cash required to get a crewcab mid-sized truck, plus I don't want to lose 15-20mpg JUST to have a truck bed. I'd rather give-up 10 (currently get 33-36 combined in my Honda Insight...not happy with this # btw) and get something like a Maverick, or Santa Cruz.

I finally got #'s for the Santa Cruz rear legroom, which is supposed to be 36.45in, so I'm interested in the Santa Cruz again. Based on spy photos, it looks like the Maverick bed should come in around 5'. If the Maverick legroom is at least 35in, I might consider it.

When it comes down to it, I'd rather have a Maverick/Santa Cruz style vehicle than I would a Tuscon/Rav4. We'll just have to see what happens.

The production delays are not likely to affect me, personally, as I'm not planning to buy for at least another six months.
Appreciate your feedback.

As soon as ford began public testing they should have known the news would spread of the internet like wildfire, especially since they already built a few.

While I understand the chip shortage affecting the industry and ford not wanting to release a car they can't build, the frustration comes from not being able to plan ahead, if I know a maverick is coming I'll wait and save until December or however long it takes, but with ford not even acknowledging it's existence, it's hard for me to know what to do.
Your reply well expresses my sentiments; Ford is doing no one any favors by keeping us in the dark. I can't plan around unknown variables, which might have me looking at Ram.

I don't know if you'd say I've lost interest, but the longer it is before the reveal, the more likely I am to go with an alternative. I tried to buy a cheap, used off road capable SUV a week or two ago. Had it not sold first, I'd probably have been out for the Maverick and just replaced my van with another and split my hauling/exploring vehicles. If we had the specs, I'd at least know whether the Maverick was worth holding out for.
I'm in the same boat.

A few times in my life I've purchased cars where I followed the progression from concept car->spy photos->early drive->production release; the Eclipse and BRZ are two I can think of off-hand. It was a long wait for both (especially for the pre-internet '89 release of the '90 Eclipse), but I really enjoyed those cars because I felt like I was there from the beginning. Ford has promised nothing. Ford hasn't released any info. Any frustration you have is self created. Like your mom use to say when you asked "when will dinner be ready?" - the answer is "when it's ready".

With that said, it is my opinion that we will see the F-150 Lightning before the Maverick. First, the F-150 is the bread-n-butter brand for Ford. Secondly, Ford wants (needs) the corporate image of being an electric car company. Lastly, there's a heck of a lot more profit in selling F-150's then there is Mavericks - not just in unit sales, but stock value. Ford will sell Mavericks because they can (the platform exists...and wouldn't it be nice...) whereas Ford will build Lightnings because they have to in order to say relevant and alive.

If you want a Maverick...you're gonna have to wait.
Your post was well written, and I can't disagree with your logic.

The One

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 2015 Mustang Ecoboost converti
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
For me the fact that Ford has been driving around Maverick's with almost no camo for months and let Hyundai beat them to the punch on the reveal Santa Cruz makes Ford look like they are following the leader instead of being the leader. Especially when Ford has revealed cars almost a year before they have went into production makes me wonder what's going on. I think Ford has badly botched the roll out of the Maverick. Has it dimmed my interest I'll wait to see the product before I decide it has been worth the wait or not. It better be great.

Art Vandelay

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Hybrid Lariat Alto Blue
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
A few times in my life I've purchased cars where I followed the progression from concept car->spy photos->early drive->production release; the Eclipse and BRZ are two I can think of off-hand. It was a long wait for both (especially for the pre-internet '89 release of the '90 Eclipse), but I really enjoyed those cars because I felt like I was there from the beginning. Ford has promised nothing. Ford hasn't released any info. Any frustration you have is self created. Like your mom use to say when you asked "when will dinner be ready?" - the answer is "when it's ready".

With that said, it is my opinion that we will see the F-150 Lightning before the Maverick. First, the F-150 is the bread-n-butter brand for Ford. Secondly, Ford wants (needs) the corporate image of being an electric car company. Lastly, there's a heck of a lot more profit in selling F-150's then there is Mavericks - not just in unit sales, but stock value. Ford will sell Mavericks because they can (the platform exists...and wouldn't it be nice...) whereas Ford will build Lightnings because they have to in order to say relevant and alive.

If you want a Maverick...you're gonna have to wait.
I would like to give you a standing ovation for that response because it was spot on. šŸ‘šŸ‘
In Ford's arsenal of vehicles in current times there is the F-150 and then there is everything else. The Mustang also carries some weight but it's mostly in name due to it's history which is exactly why the new Mach E utilized the storied Mustang name. Back in the 80's and early to mid 90's the Taurus was also a cash cow but as everyone knows sedans are a dying breed. The point is that as excited as the few us here on this message board are for a new small pick up truck it's much lower on Ford's priority list compared to the F-150 and new electric F-150.

Sponsored

Art Vandelay

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Even so, to me, Ford's approach to the Maverick's rollout is almost as bad as what Van Halen fans faced when awaiting a new album.

(Well, not that bad, but somewhat similar)
I certainly hope the Maverick isn't anywhere near as disappointing as the last Van Halen album, A Different Kind Of Truth, where we found out David Lee Roth had no voice left. And the tour for that album was equally disappointing with DLR treating the songs like he was dong a Vegas lounge act. I'm not making fun him, it's not his fault he lost his voice with age but it was severely disappointing.

LOL, not as bad as GNR fans waiting on Chinese Democracy :ROFLMAO:
:ROFLMAO:
I can't disagree with you there. It seemed like a lifetime before that album was finally released. But if you think the wait for Chinese Democracy was bad, I'm going to bet the wait for the next album will be far worse. As in it likely never arrive :(

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
For me the fact that Ford has been driving around Maverick's with almost no camo for months and let Hyundai beat them to the punch on the reveal Santa Cruz makes Ford look like they are following the leader instead of being the leader. Especially when Ford has revealed cars almost a year before they have went into production makes me wonder what's going on. I think Ford has badly botched the roll out of the Maverick. Has it dimmed my interest I'll wait to see the product before I decide it has been worth the wait or not. It better be great.
how exactly did Ford "let Hyundai beat them to the punch" when H revealed the Santa Cruz concept truck 6 YEARS ago at the 2015 Detroit Auto show? SMH at some of these leaps people are making around here. My local dealer told me more than 1 year ago there was a new redesigned Ranger coming and it has been driving around in camo versions for months too- but no reveal date on that 1 either. Despite the fact there is a fan base of some size here "hoping" the Maverick "might" meet their needs that doesn't translate to overwhelming pressure on Ford to change their internal timelines on introducing vehicles to market. They have been the LEADER in truck sales for 44 years now and I'm gonna give them the benefit of the doubt they know what they are doing after all this time.

MarcusBrody

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Transit Connect, BMW 318ti
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
how exactly did Ford "let Hyundai beat them to the punch" when H revealed the Santa Cruz concept truck 6 YEARS ago at the 2015 Detroit Auto show? SMH at some of these leaps people are making around here. My local dealer told me more than 1 year ago there was a new redesigned Ranger coming and it has been driving around in camo versions for months too- but no reveal date on that 1 either. Despite the fact there is a fan base of some size here "hoping" the Maverick "might" meet their needs that doesn't translate to overwhelming pressure on Ford to change their internal timelines on introducing vehicles to market. They have been the LEADER in truck sales for 44 years now and I'm gonna give them the benefit of the doubt they know what they are doing after all this time.
I think the difference with the Ranger and the Maverick is that there is currently a Ranger for sale. There's actually an incentive to keep things a bit under wraps as announcing the EXCITING NEW MODEL could cannibalize sales of the model on lots now. If you think that the Maverick competes only with other companies products directly, there isn't a similar incentive to keep things tightly under wraps until right before they can deliver. Similarly to how they were comfortable with announcing the Bronco well before it was going to actually arrive (though obviously it's been longer as they'd have liked) because they assumed people would be shopping against Wranglers..

OP
OP

NDL

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I certainly hope the Maverick isn't anywhere near as disappointing as the last Van Halen album, A Different Kind Of Truth, where we found out David Lee Roth had no voice left. And the tour for that album was equally disappointing with DLR treating the songs like he was dong a Vegas lounge act. I'm not making fun him, it's not his fault he lost his voice with age but it was severely disappointing.

:ROFLMAO:
I can't disagree with you there. It seemed like a lifetime before that album was finally released. But if you think the wait for Chinese Democracy was bad, I'm going to bet the wait for the next album will be far worse. As in it likely never arrive :(
Be it that you like Hagar over Roth, at least we can agree that there's no better place to listen to Halen, than from the driver's seat of a Ford truck.

Art Vandelay

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
how exactly did Ford "let Hyundai beat them to the punch" when H revealed the Santa Cruz concept truck 6 YEARS ago at the 2015 Detroit Auto show? SMH at some of these leaps people are making around here.
My favorite is the people here now speculating that Ford has now cancelled the Maverick entirely. Yes, a slight delay in releasing a product coming off a crazy pandemic year AND now a global chip shortage didn't mean anything. They must have cancelled it since it wasn't announced yet. :ROFLMAO:

Sponsored

Art Vandelay

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Be it that you like Hagar over Roth, at least we can agree that there's no better place to listen to Halen, than from the driver's seat of a Ford truck.
I wouldn't say that I lake Hagar over Roth. Well actually, to explain further, I do absolutely believe it to be 100% fact that Hagar is and always was a much better singer than Roth. But as far as comparing Van Halen to Van Hagar I always considered them to be two very different bands. And really they were both great IMO. But Roth's voice was really never that great and a lot of studio magic went into how he sounded on the original VH albums. If you watch live footage of VH from the 70's up through the 1984 tour he was a terrible singer. I mean he obviously had great stage presence and could command a crowd but Hagar was a much stronger singer, it's not even close.

Wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Jeep Wrangler
This may help some of you cope a bit more. I reserved a new big Bronco on 10/04/20. It was converted to an order on 03/03/21. But, I waited later to reserve than many, wanting a later delivery date. Mid '22 was my hope. Now we have a chip shortage, Webasto the hard top manufacturer can't get all of their chit in one sock, and there are multiple options on constraint, i.e., hard top, 2.7L engine, tow package (yes, the damn hitch supplier can't even keep up), and several items in the LUX package (highest package option) etc. The dealer will call me again when the '22 order banks open, and we'll convert it to a '22 order. So now I hoping I can get the thing before the '23 order banks open. Here's hoping you good folks will hear something about the Maverick really soon. With respect to the late, great Tom Petty, "The waiting is the hardest part". :)

Note: Ford teased us with the new Bronco in 2014 when "The Rock" drove a concept in one of his movies. I joined the Bronco6g forum in 2018. Remember, good things come to those who wait. (y)

dano0726

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Jeep JK Wrangler Sport
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
All of the above discussions PLUS we are silently creeping closer to the Ranger 6th Generation reveal/release...in 2022 with MY 2023 being the new version

isellford

First Name
ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Badlands
We had our annual Govt Fleet meeting ,last week and the Maverick was covered. it will be about the size of the old Ranger. 5 passenger. late 2nd quarter reveal and order bank opening. 4th quarter marketing launch. That's about all they covered.
Sponsored