Sponsored

Has Ford's Approach To Rolling Out The Maverick Dimmed Your Interest?

NDL

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Ford's approach has me yawning.

Granted, some may argue that because "nothing official has come out yet, there's no reason to be disappointed." Even so, to me, Ford's approach to the Maverick's rollout is almost as bad as what Van Halen fans faced when awaiting a new album.

(Well, not that bad, but somewhat similar)

It's as if "someone" built interest through a serious of "unintended" leaks, yet as July approaches, they let the wind out of the sails. Covid or not, having to pause the Bronco Sport's production is a conundrum, and of the Maverick, I am starting to feel the same.
Sponsored

giddyup

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape, Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
In my case, I don't have a problem with Ford's approach. Their timing, along with supply chain constraints (semiconductors, etc) are what they are. For me the issue is my need is immediate and I'm losing patience. We moved last fall and have a bunch of landscaping/construction projects going or lined up and I'm tired of renting trucks.

I've been looking at used F150s/Rangers but the pricing is ridiculous, like $15K for a 10+ year old truck with 150K+ miles. Longer term I won't need a large truck so Maverick's combination of fuel economy, size and price are a better fit. Maybe I should just buy a trailer, finish my projects, and take a look at Mav in a year or so. Not my first choice though.

Dan_E26

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Focus, 2018 Sonata SEL
Can't say I disagree, I think Ford is unwise to just leave the Maverick project in the dark. There's been enough press and buzz that I genuinely doubt they'd cancel it at this point, but they've done nothing to get people hyped for this thing since that original factory "leak" (let's be honest, if it was under such tight security there wouldn't be a finished car wrapped in camo just sitting on the factory floor. Call that photo what it was, a PR stunt).

As much as I'd love to have a Mav to lug around bulky shit, I can still get by just fine in a hatchback, which will drive nicer and get better fuel mileage to boot. There's talk of the new Civic SI coming as a hatch instead of a coupe, and if that arrives before Ford even acknowledges the Maverick, I'll happily go give Honda my money instead.

Reactions: NDL

99Mustang

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 Mustang 07 F150 17 Fiesta
This whole thing has just about all of us looking elsewhere, I have been looking at Bronco Sports, Doc just got a new Ranger, Some will be looking at the Santa fa's and others are going the used route.
Ford seemed to be moving right along with the Maverick project and now nothing. I don't understand it at all.

Gary in NJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Too Many Subaru's
A few times in my life I've purchased cars where I followed the progression from concept car->spy photos->early drive->production release; the Eclipse and BRZ are two I can think of off-hand. It was a long wait for both (especially for the pre-internet '89 release of the '90 Eclipse), but I really enjoyed those cars because I felt like I was there from the beginning. Ford has promised nothing. Ford hasn't released any info. Any frustration you have is self created. Like your mom use to say when you asked "when will dinner be ready?" - the answer is "when it's ready".

With that said, it is my opinion that we will see the F-150 Lightning before the Maverick. First, the F-150 is the bread-n-butter brand for Ford. Secondly, Ford wants (needs) the corporate image of being an electric car company. Lastly, there's a heck of a lot more profit in selling F-150's then there is Mavericks - not just in unit sales, but stock value. Ford will sell Mavericks because they can (the platform exists...and wouldn't it be nice...) whereas Ford will build Lightnings because they have to in order to say relevant and alive.

If you want a Maverick...you're gonna have to wait.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Ford's approach has me yawning.

Granted, some may argue that because "nothing official has come out yet, there's no reason to be disappointed." Even so, to me, Ford's approach to the Maverick's rollout is almost as bad as what Van Halen fans faced when awaiting a new album.

(Well, not that bad, but somewhat similar)

It's as if "someone" built interest through a serious of "unintended" leaks, yet as July approaches, they let the wind out of the sails. Covid or not, having to pause the Bronco Sport's production is a conundrum, and of the Maverick, I am starting to feel the same.
LOL, not as bad as GNR fans waiting on Chinese Democracy :ROFLMAO:

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
This whole thing has just about all of us looking elsewhere, I have been looking at Bronco Sports, Doc just got a new Ranger, Some will be looking at the Santa fa's and others are going the used route.
Ford seemed to be moving right along with the Maverick project and now nothing. I don't understand it at all.

some of you guys are acting like this is somehow unique and disturbing in the auto industry- when it's common. How many teases (and delays) were there before any Teslas were produced? How long ago was Cybertruck, and Santa Fe concepts revealed at auto shows? Most concepts never make it to production. A mid engined Corvette was rumored for DECADES. Popular Cars and trucks were killed off, only to be revived years later when timing was right and interest was high enough like Thunderbird, Challenger, Camaro, Hummer for a few examples. When were the last Rancheros and El Caminos produced? Why do manufacturers let platforms rot on the vine with only minor updates (freshening cycles) like Nissan Frontier and Old Ranger? This thing is going to take as long as Ford thinks it needs to take depending on their own internal criteria and decision making more than external events. Patience is a virtue and never goes out of style...

MarcusBrody

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Transit Connect, BMW 318ti
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I don't know if you'd say I've lost interest, but the longer it is before the reveal, the more likely I am to go with an alternative. I tried to buy a cheap, used off road capable SUV a week or two ago. Had it not sold first, I'd probably have been out for the Maverick and just replaced my van with another and split my hauling/exploring vehicles. If we had the specs, I'd at least know whether the Maverick was worth holding out for.

That being said, I'm about to start on a ~2 month trip, so I won't be buying a car in that period. Hopefully the Maverick is announced by the time I'm back in the market!

ElMaverick

First Name
S
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda 3
Engine
Undecided
As soon as ford began public testing they should have known the news would spread of the internet like wildfire, especially since they already built a few.

While I understand the chip shortage affecting the industry and ford not wanting to release a car they can't build, the frustration comes from not being able to plan ahead, if I know a maverick is coming I'll wait and save until December or however long it takes, but with ford not even acknowledging it's existence, it's hard for me to know what to do.

As much as I dislike reservation processes, start one up, Infact if more cars came with a reservation process (but realistic wait times not years in advance) automakers would be able to alot resources better

zeketolliver

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Hyundai Tuscon NLine
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have certainly cooled a bit on the Maverick, and the new small pick-ups, in general. I like the idea of a small pickup, because I want a bed vice SUV cargo space. Yet, I can't justify spending the cash required to get a crewcab mid-sized truck, plus I don't want to lose 15-20mpg JUST to have a truck bed. I'd rather give-up 10 (currently get 33-36 combined in my Honda Insight...not happy with this # btw) and get something like a Maverick, or Santa Cruz.

I finally got #'s for the Santa Cruz rear legroom, which is supposed to be 36.45in, so I'm interested in the Santa Cruz again. Based on spy photos, it looks like the Maverick bed should come in around 5'. If the Maverick legroom is at least 35in, I might consider it.

When it comes down to it, I'd rather have a Maverick/Santa Cruz style vehicle than I would a Tuscon/Rav4. We'll just have to see what happens.

The production delays are not likely to affect me, personally, as I'm not planning to buy for at least another six months.

Sponsored

oljackfrost

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They're all sold, waiting for Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It's hard to be patient. As a retired couple we've decided to go to one vehicle. Just sold my faithful 21 year old Subaru wagon, that was my hauler. Now we're down to the 4 year old Subaru Impreza hatchback. I like the car but have already had instances where the cargo capacity is lacking... and I'm not even doing any projects! Although I think the Maverick would be perfect for us, there is no way I'll know for sure until my wife can actually drive one, to see if she's comfortable. Years ago she loved our son's Ranger and Comanche small pickups so there is a thread of hope. Figuring that the Maverick will be close in interior space to the Bronco Sport, it would be almost identical to the Impreza, which is perfect (we're small). The Maverick only looks to be about a foot longer than the old Legacy, and with a backup camera that shouldn't be an issue. See, I can justify all day long, but she's got to drive one! I'm also hoping that used car prices say high to make it easier to justify the cost (yeah, right 😜).

ElMaverick

First Name
S
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda 3
Engine
Undecided
It's hard to be patient. As a retired couple we've decided to go to one vehicle. Just sold my faithful 21 year old Subaru wagon, that was my hauler. Now we're down to the 4 year old Subaru Impreza hatchback. I like the car but have already had instances where the cargo capacity is lacking... and I'm not even doing any projects! Although I think the Maverick would be perfect for us, there is no way I'll know for sure until my wife can actually drive one, to see if she's comfortable. Years ago she loved our son's Ranger and Comanche small pickups so there is a thread of hope. Figuring that the Maverick will be close in interior space to the Bronco Sport, it would be almost identical to the Impreza, which is perfect (we're small). The Maverick only looks to be about a foot longer than the old Legacy, and with a backup camera that shouldn't be an issue. See, I can justify all day long, but she's got to drive one! I'm also hoping that used car prices say high to make it easier to justify the cost (yeah, right 😜).
I feel you, The ole' used car prices are high due to low supply, but due to low supply (no maverick) inability to trade in, that's why Im rooting so hard for the release :ROFLMAO:

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Subi should be able to pull a small lightweight utility trailer for occasional bigger loads and hauling. Trailers are cheap to own and little mechanical maintenance needed if they don't get used much... Could at least be a stop gap until Mavericks are in showrooms to test drive.

rtcraft89

First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes E-500
Yes. Unfortunately I scored a great deal on a Silverado Custom Trim I couldn’t pass up with the incentives.

I wanted to wait for the Maverick but with no timeline, I had to move on.

The Silverado is bigger than I wanted, but it’ll do for a while. Hopefully the Maverick is out by the time I’m next in the market as I was 99% set on it at one point.

Tiberius Jim

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Crown Victoria
While it's frustrating to now know more or see the final product and have a hard release date, I'm still really interested. I plan on driving my Crown Victoria into the ground and will only replace it when a much better alternative comes along. And the Maverick so far seems to be that: way cheaper than a Ranger or F-150 while still having the practicality of a truck. I could have the same passenger capacity of my CV while actually having more "trunk" space...and it's hard to find a vehicle with more trunk space than a CV. Plus it would be great to have some modern features and creature comforts as my CV's most luxury feature is probably its power driver seat. :LOL: My only concern is if something were to happen to my CV, like even a minor accident, it'll end up totaled and I'll need to replace it with something. Without any light at the end of the tunnel for the Maverick I would be forced to go with something else.
Sponsored