Sponsored

Has anyone tried to sell their right to purchase a Maverick back to the dealer?

Automate

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fusion Hybrid, Mav XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Too many orders being sold to party not named on COVP can become a big problem for a dealer.
But not if person that placed the order will give dealer a statement they no longer want the truck. Dealer can provide it to Ford and it will not count against them.
Sponsored

commadorebob

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Explorer Limited; 2023 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Nonstarter at my dealership. When order was placed, they agreed to sell at price-protected MSRP in exchange for right to pull order if they catch wind I'm just planning to flip.

Flomounier1

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
No, but when I was buying my Maverick (I got it for MSRP) the salesman tried to give me the "Well if you change your mind, we have a buyer for 5k over" nonsense so I told him, do you want to pay me $2500 to cancel my order so you can sell it to him instead? Then he backed out and gave me the "No, we would never do such shady stuff." Yeah right...wash the damn truck already and let me be on my way. They already had a $2500 markup sticker on my Maverick in case I cancelled when I first saw it.

I ended up selling it to Carvana after 6 months for $5500 more than what I paid out the door after all the problems it had. It spent more than half the time sitting at the dealer during the time I owned it.

I would have kept the truck (even knowing I could sell it for more than what I paid) if Ford knew how to build a damn wire harness and an interior that doesn't rattle and paint that doesn't chip when you hit a butterfly on the freeway going 60mph.

RonD

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 XT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
But not if person that placed the order will give dealer a statement they no longer want the truck. Dealer can provide it to Ford and it will not count against them.
In former times, that was true. Not now. Official policy was only acceptable reasons were death, loss of job, or denied financing. FMC saw more than a few dealers submitting bogus credit apps (to ensure financing denied), and a comically abnormal correlation between high margin models and deaths of order holders. Enforcement is unpredictable, so now the dealers submit name mismatched sales reports at their own peril. Smart dealers know the penalty is not worth the risk anymore.

I think it is fair to say they have some incentive to sell the vehicle to the person who placed the order.

sanpablo

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1967 Shelby GT500, 1999 Ford Windstar
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Long time lurker, first time poster. Our dealer offered us $3500 to walk from our hybrid. Since we had also ordered an EB that was already built and just waiting for a train, we took the check. It paid for DP/FMIC/MBRP and a few nice dinners.
First time poster?! lol

Sponsored

ashido67

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
b-ry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I ordered mine directly from ford. I walked up to my truck when i went to purchase it and it had a $8000 dealer markup fee on the window.

They cannot add that if you ordered it, they had to remove it.

If you did not order it they will put minimum $8000 markup....just because they can.

They tried to make me not buy it by offering my $1000 payout for not buying it.

Then they could throw their $8000 back on it and bank 7 still.

Beau Towndsend Ford Vandalia.

gte105u

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Maverick Lariat, '17 Rogue SL, '14 Altima SV
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Some good and bad information here. But overall the gist is correct. While discussion of it happening has been batted around it seems to be initiated by dealer with an interest to mark up and not get blasted on the internet. If they get the sense you may be willing to walk they'll let you as they have no strong reason to pay out then. They hold all the cards pre sale.

It's a one off not a strategy.

JayDee

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Chevy Equinox Premier
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I
No, but when I was buying my Maverick (I got it for MSRP) the salesman tried to give me the "Well if you change your mind, we have a buyer for 5k over" nonsense so I told him, do you want to pay me $2500 to cancel my order so you can sell it to him instead? Then he backed out and gave me the "No, we would never do such shady stuff." Yeah right...wash the damn truck already and let me be on my way. They already had a $2500 markup sticker on my Maverick in case I cancelled when I first saw it.

I ended up selling it to Carvana after 6 months for $5500 more than what I paid out the door after all the problems it had. It spent more than half the time sitting at the dealer during the time I owned it.

I would have kept the truck (even knowing I could sell it for more than what I paid) if Ford knew how to build a damn wire harness and an interior that doesn't rattle and paint that doesn't chip when you hit a butterfly on the freeway going 60mph.
Federal income tax on the gain probably would apply.

Sponsored

OleFordGuy

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 Lariat, Expedition Limited, 22 Mav Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
La La Land

dcs12345

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 Chevy
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I went into a ford dealership and sat down at their desk and ordered it directly from them.

so ya i did
He took your statement as you ordered it directly from Ford as meaning directly from the factory, not through a dealership. That's why he said no you didn't. He thought you meant "direct" from the factory.

All of us that ordered did so through a dealer.

OP
OP

SteveG

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford ranger XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
It is not a Hybrid. I intend on buying it at MSRP minus the Private offer I have. If it turns out I don't like it for some reason, then I may follow your advice.

JimParker256

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Area 51 Hybrid FE, 2014 Impala
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

He took your statement as you ordered it directly from Ford as meaning directly from the factory, not through a dealership. That's why he said no you didn't. He thought you meant "direct" from the factory.

All of us that ordered did so through a dealer.
And technically, it's the dealer who placed the order with Ford. They did so at "our" request, but it's is, was, and forever will be technically the "dealer's order" and not ours... This has been discussed many times over elsewhere on the forum. As much as we all can't stand it, and as much as Ford would like for it to not be true, the dealers can just thumb their noses at both Ford and us (those who placed the order through the dealer), and sell the truck to whomever they want to when it comes in. We all hope we have selected a good dealer who will sell us the truck we ordered when it comes in, but there's more than one example in the MTC forums where the truck was sold out from under the person who ordered it in good faith.

gte105u

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Maverick Lariat, '17 Rogue SL, '14 Altima SV
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
And technically, it's the dealer who placed the order with Ford. They did so at "our" request, but it's is, was, and forever will be technically the "dealer's order" and not ours... This has been discussed many times over elsewhere on the forum. As much as we all can't stand it, and as much as Ford would like for it to not be true, the dealers can just thumb their noses at both Ford and us (those who placed the order through the dealer), and sell the truck to whomever they want to when it comes in. We all hope we have selected a good dealer who will sell us the truck we ordered when it comes in, but there's more than one example in the MTC forums where the truck was sold out from under the person who ordered it in good faith.
This is true. The only control Ford has over dealers is access to supply.

The only control consumers have is with the power of our wallet (and ability to spread information). Unfortunately right now it puts the dealers in a position of power. It will not always be that way, but for now it is.
Sponsored