Sponsored

Has anyone tried to sell their right to purchase a Maverick back to the dealer?

SteveG

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford ranger XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
If some dealers are jacking up the price of Mavericks has anyone reported selling their right to purchase a vehicle back to the dealership? There seem to be a few posts on here regarding dealers making it difficult for customers who have ordered Mavericks, to actually purchase them at MSRP, plus Incentives or a Private Offer. The implication being that the Dealer can ask a higher price than MSRP if the original ordering customer is no longer in the picture.

It occurs to me that the original customer, instead of just walking away, should be able to sell their rights to purchase the vehicle back to the Dealer. This becomes a win-win for both parties. The dealer gets a better markup, and the customer gets a little something for their troubles, i.e. giving up the Maverick they have waited over a year for.

I have a Lariat, scheduled for production the week of Feb. 13, 2023. My Dealer has been helpful, so I don't expect any surprises. But others, it seems, are not so lucky and might welcome an opportunity to be reimbursed a little.

Of course, the question remains: Does the original customer have a "Right" to purchase the vehicle at MSRP?
Sponsored

mav_kev

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mav
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Creative thinking, but you would be laughed out of the showroom for suggesting something like that - and then ridiculed ruthlessly once you left and for all eternity thereafter.

Timaysz

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford explorer sport trac
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Even thought u ordered it.. Received notifications from ford itself... Given the vin # by ford and all the email updated to the building and shipping of ur order... U are still buying it from the dealership and they don't have to sell it to you...

Sponsored

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
If some dealers are jacking up the price of Mavericks has anyone reported selling their right to purchase a vehicle back to the dealership? There seem to be a few posts on here regarding dealers making it difficult for customers who have ordered Mavericks, to actually purchase them at MSRP, plus Incentives or a Private Offer. The implication being that the Dealer can ask a higher price than MSRP if the original ordering customer is no longer in the picture.

It occurs to me that the original customer, instead of just walking away, should be able to sell their rights to purchase the vehicle back to the Dealer. This becomes a win-win for both parties. The dealer gets a better markup, and the customer gets a little something for their troubles, i.e. giving up the Maverick they have waited over a year for.

I have a Lariat, scheduled for production the week of Feb. 13, 2023. My Dealer has been helpful, so I don't expect any surprises. But others, it seems, are not so lucky and might welcome an opportunity to be reimbursed a little.

Of course, the question remains: Does the original customer have a "Right" to purchase the vehicle at MSRP?
fatal flaw in your thinking: at no time in the process does a customer have any "right" to purchase the vehicle or sell it back, bc you don't own it until you complete the sales contract and establish ownership. The dealer holds all the cards and can choose to sell it to you- or not. Even adding extra costs on like ADM, special "dealer packages", etc. You are at the mercy of the dealer and hopefully find a good 1 that won't play games with the purchase deal.

OP
OP

SteveG

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford ranger XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Creative thinking, but you would be laughed out of the showroom for suggesting something like that - and then ridiculed ruthlessly once you left and for all eternity thereafter.
It wouldn't be the first time that has happened to me. And, if I am doing everything right, it won't be the last time.

FromAway

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat FX4 4K Cactus Grey
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Ultimately it is the dealers vehicle until they sign it over to you. I purchased a Maverick off the lot from my dealer in exchange for giving up my order. They kept the same 3% below invoice pricing deal, but it was an upgraded Lariat with more options so ultimately more expensive. It was a simple verbal agreement. I never signed anything. I kept getting emails about the progress of my order which was eventually built and shipped 4 months later. I never had any communication from the dealer and they sold it to someone else. I never expected to maintain a "right" to purchase my ordered vehicle because it was never mine to begin with. It was always the dealers order and vehicle, the same as it has been for many decades. Ford sells vehicles to dealers, not customers.

Automate

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fusion Hybrid, Mav XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If you can walk into the dealer with a guarantee purchase price from Carmax, Carvana, etc. showing you can re-sell the car for throusands more than your OTD price. They may offer something for you to not buy it.

People on MTC have used this method to get some money out of their dealer without purchasing the vehicle.

Last edited:

earlyhike

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 XLT Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

It probably depends on what (if anything) you got in writing upon making the order. The order itself is not a guarantee. But if you had them directly document conditions of a sale like a promise to sell at MSRP, and they signed it, then you technically have a legal right to those conditions as written -not a promise of sale but a promise of conditions of sale. Whether any of it would hold up in court I doubt it. But a written and signed agreement about conditions of a sale would help prove deception and give you a leg to stand on when they try to pull something on you. If you have nothing explicitly written and signed then you really have nothing.

Sponsored

Orb1T

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick,Porsche 986,997.1,S4,Tesla
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I got my mav and used it for a year till my other car order arrived. I got what i paid for it except all the upgrades. Here it is below @ carmax.

https://www.carmax.com/car/23784488

Twixel Jackson

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I tried this with my ordered maverick that arrived May 2022. The dealer had been very cool and at the time I thought they might work with me. I asked for a free set of tires for my F150 or free service and they declined. They marked it up 7500.00 over sticker and sold it in a couple days.

So that theory did not work for me.

RonD

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 XT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Long time lurker, first time poster. Our dealer offered us $3500 to walk from our hybrid. Since we had also ordered an EB that was already built and just waiting for a train, we took the check. It paid for DP/FMIC/MBRP and a few nice dinners.

RonD

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 XT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The dealer has no incentive to pay you. Either you buy it from them or you walk away and they get to mark it up to whatever they want without paying you.
Too many orders being sold to party not named on COVP can become a big problem for a dealer.

FabMav

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
JR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Bought my ‘22 XL Hybrid for $24k MSRP including tax, license, etc. and was offered $31k by a different local dealer who had a buyer at $36k. That was late last year and doubt I would get the same offer today.
P.S. I did NOT sell it.
Sponsored