Sponsored

Has anyone seen the engine block heater plugin?

Sdaudt

First Name
Stephan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick on order
Got my maverick 3 weeks ago. Xl hybrid 360 package. I ordered the engin block heater but I can't locate the plug. I examined the bumper, I examined the engin, I examined the manual, I examined a Google search... I am either dumb, blind or lost. Please help.
Sponsored

icegradner

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

It's in the engine bay near the top, yes near the prop rod. I wonder if I'll ever use mine, Ford just put them in all the Canadian Mavericks, no extra charge. :sneaky:

Onip

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick XLT FX4 4K
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Is that Confirmed? Because I wanted to order block heater. If it’s included the better.

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

That's going to help you in the cabin stay warm quicker, and allow EV only driving quicker. Once the engine starts the temperature needle needs to be just off the line at the "C" to allow EV mode driving, which correlates to 122'F (50'C) water temperature.

Too Cold for EV:

Ford Maverick Has anyone seen the engine block heater plugin? E770B3D7-515A-4890-9A8E-0FD3253907B8

Ok for EV if other conditions are met:
Ford Maverick Has anyone seen the engine block heater plugin? 76F45798-CCF3-4A7E-A609-4DD889D26381

Last edited:

Sponsored

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

For what it's worth, the temperature needle moves in a linear fashion from 115'F to 185'F. Then it does not move from 185'F to 215'F. My friend says car's needles are "programmed" to show "Normal" for any "Normal" condition so the needle won't go higher until an "abnormal" condition is detected.

The needle won't move until about 115'F.
The first tic mark is 155'F.

This photo is 200'F and is exactly the same spot for 185'F and 215'F.

I have no data for the temperature that triggers the needle to move beyond this. At this you are 215'F or less.
Ford Maverick Has anyone seen the engine block heater plugin? D95C05B5-CCE6-4EBC-A14E-A88E198C1BE2

Last edited:

icegradner

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Is that Confirmed? Because I wanted to order block heater. If it’s included the better.
I didn't order it with the truck, I know that much and the dealer didn't add anything I didn't ask for. Other Canadian forum members have said the same thing.

icegradner

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

That's going to help you in the cabin stay warm quicker, and allow EV only driving quicker. Once the engine starts the temperature needle needs to be just off the line at the "C" to allow EV mode driving, which correlates to 122'F (50'C) water temperature.

Too Cold for EV:

E770B3D7-515A-4890-9A8E-0FD3253907B8.jpeg

Ok for EV if other conditions are met:
76F45798-CCF3-4A7E-A609-4DD889D26381.jpeg
I am curious if it's a good idea to do that if it's not cold enough, because the manual says it's not needed at temperatures above -14C/6.8F. I wouldn't want to overheat the engine without the rad fan running. Never had a block heater before, so I'm clueless about them.

fossil

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
95 SVT Cobra Mustang, HPR Lariat Tremor
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I am curious if it's a good idea to do that if it's not cold enough, because the manual says it's not needed at temperatures above -14C/6.8F. I wouldn't want to overheat the engine without the rad fan running. Never had a block heater before, so I'm clueless about them.
As someone who has had a couple these Ford heaters, they are no where near that powerful and not all that fast heating the engine.

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

It is impossible to overheat the truck with the block heater.

Heat escapes constantly. And the warmer it gets, the faster heat escapes.
You can leave it plugged in 24/7.
The question is, what does electricity cost you and how much are you willing to spend?

Personally, I would plug it in any time it is below 32'F / 0'C. Completely safe to run all night. If you want to save power, put it on a timer to come on 4 hours before your usual departure.

If you are down to 0'F / -18'C and below I'd probably leave it powered up all night. But a lot depend on wind, if you are outdoors.

Enjoy!

Sponsored

icegradner

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

The question is, what does electricity cost you and how much are you willing to spend?

Personally, I would plug it in any time it is below 32'F / 0'C. Completely safe to run all night. If you want to save power, put it on a timer to come on 4 hours before your usual departure.

If you are down to 0'F / -18'C and below I'd probably leave it powered up all night. But a lot depend on wind, if you are outdoors.

Enjoy!
I assume the ambient temperature will determine how long you actually need it on? If it's not that cold, say just around 32°F/0°C would 1 hour be enough? We pay $0.0950 Cdn per kWh, so needless to say power is cheap. Coldest it tends to get here on the west coast is -12°C. Usually no more than -5°C. Still think I'd want it on a timer, no need to waste power, even if it is cheap.

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Experiment. Find out for yourself.

Generally speaking, the one in my old Escape would not heat the water past 120'F no matter how long I turned it on. 120'F was the point of equilibrium with the environment. The heater was 400 watts.

You now know the blue needle comes off the minimum position at about 115'F.

If it comes off the "peg" in 4 hours, you know that is enough. Try 3 hours next time. But yes, colder will need more time; warmer less time. Windy outdoors will be really slow but still better than nothing.

Let me know if Ford stuck with the 400 watt set-up. Mine shipped to California without a heater.

Montevilla

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cactus Gray Maverick XL Hybrid w/moonroof
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It's in the Canadian Order Guide. Search the forum for it, it was discussed last year.

Rlward

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda CR-V, Fird Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Enjoy!
Max temp from the block heater in three hours. Use with a timer or smart switch. Probably an hour or two would do in most cases. I am retired so rarely going anywhere at 8am.

TrailMaster

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
02 Ranger XLT 4L, Honda Valkyries (2)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
It's in the engine bay near the top, yes near the prop rod. I wonder if I'll ever use mine, Ford just put them in all the Canadian Mavericks, no extra charge. :sneaky:
Sure wish they would have done that for Gunnison, CO! 🥶 I'm gonna need one, but am fumbling with which one will work best on my Mav since I didn't end up getting one after the ol' truck switcheroo. I'm thinking I may just have an aftermarket one slapped in. Anyone done that successfully, and if so what type/brand?
Sponsored