Sponsored

Has anyone downsized to a Maverick and finding the bed too small?

zakstang

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
i kept my 2500hd silverado and very rarely even drive it anymore....I dont miss it at all....Im a painter and if I need to haul my long extension ladder (12') i use my 5x8 utility trailer...hauls drywall and plywood fine too....tows my fishing boat just fine....only thing I will need my 2500hd for is towing my 7x16 enclosed....but that wont be often...
Sponsored

Bob The Builder

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Butch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Cherokee ** 2023 Mav FX/4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
At my stage in life, that bed size is perfect.

rclee

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 XLT Maverick Lux,A51,Hybrid,Rear Slider.
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Scott Asheville

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 AWD XLT ECO LUX CP360 HPR
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Boy the answer to this is a complicated one. I'm 65 now and life is quieting down, so the Maverick short bed is fine. But just 5 years ago, just doing routine gardening stuff on our 20 acres in CT - no way I could have lived with a 4.5 foot truck bed. So many things I did where the Maverick would have failed miserably. Hauling a dozen hay bales, hauling big loads of turf, carelessly hauling dimensional lumber, bicycles and a zillion other things on a weekly basis. Yea I could have done that stuff by doubling my trips and jury rigging bigger loads. But no thank you.

So it really depends on your personal use case. Buy the vehicle that meets your lifestyle.

tonyinsd

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT, Ford Maverick XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
So has anyone else gone from part time full size pickup truck usage to a Maverick and found the compact size just too frustrating? Or do all of the pros outweigh the con.
I had a 1990 Chevy Silverado 1500 with a six foot bed, so I can't speak to what it's like going from an eight foot bed to the four and a half foot one.

For my purposes, the Maverick does well. I've had to stack things up a few times instead of just sliding them into the bed, but it does what I need it to without any issues.

I'm getting rid of a refrigerator, and instead of using the truck to do that, I'm hiring someone to do it. But that's more because I don't have time right now to spend two to three hours strapping it in, going up to the dump, waiting in line, and driving back to get rid of it myself. The dumping fee would be $60 anyway, and the hauling service is charging me $180. Is it worth spending $120 to save probably three hours of my time? Absolutely.

The Maverick would have been more than capable of handling this. I'd have to strap the refrigerator in and have the bed open but that's not too big of a deal.

Sponsored

whitef

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lost count...about 12.
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The Maverick will easily handle all the “truck” needs of 96 out of 100 F150 owners, apart from towing. If you’re REALLY towing you’ll need a 3/4 ton or 1 ton truck anyway.

This really is a Swiss Army Knife vehicle. It does everything well enough.

OP
OP

maverickeric

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 + Maverick XL
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Wow, this got more replies than I expected. Some good points with the bed extender as an option, and also that I can park the Mav in the garage and still have room to work on it when it's time to swap winter tires

Clearly the Maverick can do a lot and is very versatile, but I guess I'll have to do some soul searching and see if it's worth the extra time to really strap something down or take an extra trip - it's been nice just throwing lumber of a 4x8 sheet in and driving off.

As of now, I'd say for the price and MPG it's going to be worth it. I'll just go ecoboost/4k towing package for that forward mobility.

Maverick2022XL

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL, AWD, 4K tow, 2.0L EcoBoost
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Wow, this got more replies than I expected. Some good points with the bed extender as an option, and also that I can park the Mav in the garage and still have room to work on it when it's time to swap winter tires

Clearly the Maverick can do a lot and is very versatile, but I guess I'll have to do some soul searching and see if it's worth the extra time to really strap something down or take an extra trip - it's been nice just throwing lumber of a 4x8 sheet in and driving off.

As of now, I'd say for the price and MPG it's going to be worth it. I'll just go ecoboost/4k towing package for that forward mobility.
If you want an almost apples to apples comparison. The base XL model 2202 Ford Ranger is almost equivalant to an XL model Maverick with the 4k tow package in capacity. You have 4k tow vs 3.5k tow capacity on the base Ranger. Bed is bigger on the Ranger than the Maverick in the Supercab config aka 2 doors at 6ft but the 4 door Supercrew is about the same size bed at 5ft. Ranger on the base model is 4X2 vs an AWD with an XL Maverick with the 4k tow package. Maverick with the ecoboost gets about 4 mpg better than a Ranger and price for each is around 25k for the Maverick and 27k for a base XL model Ranger.

Timothyd

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Buick Encore, Miata, motorcycles
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Frankly I have the same question. I can transport 12' lumber in my Chevy Cruze, but IDK how I'd do that in a Maverick without a trailer.
Bed racks/ roof racks.

RonR1959

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick hybrid Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It's been a while since I owned a Chevy Silverado, maybe 12 years ago or so, so I can't really speak about the size difference compared to the Maverick. What I can say is this, I love my little truck!

1. It is lower to the ground, which makes it easier to get things in and out of.

2. I have a 70" long electric fat tire bike. I load it in the back of my truck with the tailgate down and it fits.

3. I make 6' long raised bed garden boxes, and load them in my little truck and deliver them to customers. No problem there.

4. I make frequent runs to Lowe's to buy wood and load it in the back of my truck. Some of the boards I buy are 10' long. I simply move the tailgate cables up to the slanted position, load my wood, and use ratchet straps to tie them down. No problem there!

5. The Maverick has the capability to carry 4' x 8' sheet goods. What more can you ask for?

6. Love the maneuverability!! The steering has way more radius to turn than a full sized truck.

7. Lower to the ground, which means I don't need to step up on running boards to get into the cab.

8. Plenty of towing capacity for me. I have a 5' x 8' trailer I use for delivering multiple raised bed garden boxes. Tows it without a problem.

Sponsored

BigT

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Bed worked out fine yesterday.
2 bags horse bedding pellets
2 bags pine shavings
2 bags goat feed
2 bags dog feed
2 bags chicken feed
2 bags duck feed
2 4x4x12 treated posts
2 6x6x12 treated lumber
5 2x4x10 treated lumber
Post hole digger
Post hole digger 8” bit
24 wood stakes
Ford Maverick Has anyone downsized to a Maverick and finding the bed too small? E056749B-40B4-4B0F-9557-6E17B13E5DB1

Scott Asheville

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 AWD XLT ECO LUX CP360 HPR
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
FWIW, those unsafe extreme load extenders in the photo posted above should be illegal. They're insanely irresponsible and very dangerous to cyclists and pedestrians at turns. I speak from experience as a daily cyclist. Usually (not always) the drivers are completely oblivious to the hazard they are posing to others. That load swings way out there and can frigging kill somebody. Physics 101. Not a problem on big trucks because the wheels are further back.

nunucello

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Marcello
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm looking to place an order, and have checked the Maverick out in person a few times. The price is right, 4 door is great for the kids, maneuverability, MPG even with Ecoboost, but my biggest concern is that I'm compromising on the truck bed and will be annoyed by the size more often than not. I've previously swore I'd never go smaller than a 6' bed - but here we are.

As a background I have an older single cab F150 8' bed as a part time "work" truck, and a SUV but looking to downsize so I only have one vehicle for all my needs. Part of that work is event production (tables/chairs/tents/bins/ladders) and another is property maintenance/handyman work for a few properties - I do max out the 8' bed a few times a year, but if this is the case I can expense a rental vehicle- cost isn't out of my pocket but the inconvenience of the pickup/droppoff hits me. Right off the bat I plan on getting a bed rack for ladder/extra long materials, and have a Yakima Skybox already which while unorthodox, is good for locked up tool storage - this is the only way I can see the size possibly being suitable.

So has anyone else gone from part time full size pickup truck usage to a Maverick and found the compact size just too frustrating? Or do all of the pros outweigh the con.
Maverick bed is perfect size
Sponsored