First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Focus, 2023 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I was curious if many of you are finding that dealers are insisting to run your credit when you order? Although I have pretty good credit, I don't like the idea of an extra "ding" on my credit report when they will definitely have to do it again when my vehicle shows up 8 months to a year later. Tim Bartz told me Long McArthur does not pull the customer's credit when ordering. I have no idea how long it would take to recover from the ding to get back to where it was beforehand.
Sponsored

skadizzle

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat BAP
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I have not had that happen yet. I would also run the other direction if your dealer is telling you this now. The only thing I can see is maybe they want to make sure you are going to buy it so it doesn't get dinged on them, but still wouldn't do it.

BILLNOROVILLE

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
prius, Hybrid XLT, Honda 1100Rebel, 2) Hawk 650NT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have been retired 5 years, so my income is pretty low, but I knew my credit score was 840 before I went in with my 500.00 check to give them when I ordered. Two weeks later I saw where the 1.9 finance rate was ending so I asked my salesman if he could lock that in for me. He called me the next day, said I was locked in for the 1.9 financing and to my surprise he then gave me a Vin number and a production date. Got my truck in 97 days. Sold my 2016 Volt before it arrived to Carvana and used the 17k as my down payment. Best salesman I ever delt with.

If you have great credit, don't worry about it.

update to this; I don't know when they pulled a soft or hard credit report but I imagine it was a hard one when I picked up my truck and signed all the papers. I guess I'm not much risk living in the same house I bought in 1972.

Last edited:

kcamp317

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Ford Escape Titanium Hybrid 16 Ford Escape SE
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Ive not heard of that. All I had to do when ordering was show them my license, give them a $500 refundable deposit, and sign the order sheet. No credit pulled. I don't see any reason to do so until you try to finance the vehicle through them. I mean what if you weren't using FMC for the loan? Some folks use their own credit union or bank or pay cash.

Sponsored

MLowe05

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Tesla MYP & M3RWD
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
No. Find another dealer.

gte105u

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Maverick Lariat, '17 Rogue SL, '14 Altima SV
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I could see a soft pull to check in general. Hard pull shouldn't be necessary until time to finance. Very strange indeed.

jsus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid AWD 😉
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Auto loan pre-approvals are typically only valid for 30-60 days, so it makes no sense to do that and rack up a hard pull months before the vehicle is built, as opposed to when it is on the lot in front of you and you're ready to buy it.

Whitenight

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat, 2021 Bronco Sport Badlands
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I have no idea how long it would take to recover from the ding to get back to where it was beforehand.
A hard check stays on your credit report for two years.

Maverick2023

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Kip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Rav4
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
don't they need your social to pull a credit report?

Sponsored

MLowe05

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Tesla MYP & M3RWD
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

New2AZ

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic EX Hatchback
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I was told there'd be a soft credit check when I did my deposit and order. Moments later a had a Credit Karma alert letting me know there was a real credit check.
I was a little irked but brushed it off. Those dings don't last forever and I didn't plan on doing anything else that would require a credit check in the near future.
This situation could have definitely angered someone in a different position though

NJBob

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick, 2003 MR2, 2019 Forrester, 1969 Z/28
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
What's the difference between a hard and soft credit check? My dealer told me they would check it. Don't recall if I had to give my social or not. Maybe this could be an argument to lock in the financing at that time. I told the dealer I was not sure if I was going to use Ford credit.

MLowe05

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Tesla MYP & M3RWD
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
What's the difference between a hard and soft credit check? My dealer told me they would check it. Don't recall if I had to give my social or not. Maybe this could be an argument to lock in the financing at that time. I told the dealer I was not sure if I was going to use Ford credit.
No ding to your credit for a soft pull. Those can be done without SSN but I've found most of the time even for soft pull they will ask for it.

Scott Asheville

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 AWD XLT ECO LUX CP360 HPR
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I maintain a credit freeze for financial security. So I have an instant answer to anybody who asks me to frivolously check my credit. "No, I maintain a credit freeze and I'm not going through the annoyance of lifting it for you unless we're actually applying for a loan.".

Mind you, a credit freeze can be a PITA now and then. A lot of online sites you'd never expect use credit checks on you. A credit freeze will block fraudsters from opening new lines of credit using your identity. But it won't block them from hijacking your existing credit. Oh, it will also stop most the credit offer junk mail you receive, by law.
Sponsored