First Name
Butch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Cherokee ** 2023 Mav FX/4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I agree with the OP, a hybrid of the quality and mileage of the Maverick makes tons more sense to me than a BEV. A PHEV Maverick with around 50-60 miles of initial electrical travel would be something I could embrace as well. A full BEV Maverick, for me, would be best owned by someone else younger and more patient to spend their afternoons twiddling thumbs at a Level 3 charger. i am too old for that. I am barely patient enough to gas up my truck at the station. :ROFLMAO: :oops:
Sponsored

TedTX

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Well they charge more in yearly fees for offset gas tax for hybrids and EVs. Gets tried each state legislature session but had gotten stopped so far in Texas.

Scott Asheville

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 AWD XLT ECO LUX CP360 HPR
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
There is yesterday, today, and tomorrow.

• Yesterday = ICE.
  • Today = hybrid, ICE or BEV based mainly on your political leanings, socioeconomic status, and social-tribe identity.
  • Tomorrow = BEV.

The fact is people love arguing about cars, especially arguments where I am right and you are wrong. I can remember the arguments last century over forced induction, electronic ignitions, and fuel injection. You think politics ruins dinners and breaks up families? Try bringing up BEVs this Thanksgiving.

Just repeat this mantra, with apologies to "Full Metal Jacket"...

This is my car.
There are many others like it, but this one is mine.
My car is the best car sold today because I chose it.
All other cars are deficient.
All other car buyers are inferior.
This is my car.
My car and me are an unbeatable team.
We are superior to all others.

Deleted member 14823

Well, government planning is a big warm fuzzy dream and a lot of hyperbole. First off we surely won't have the electrical generating capacity. We're on the edge right now, and we haven't built any new generating plants in 30 years and it would take a long time to get to that point. Then, if, IF there were all the battery cars there wouldn't be the gas tax to support the infrastructure and the tax on them would have to go way up. And, that's for starters.
Please don't misunderstand me. I'm not saying I like it, I'm just saying we might as well get used to it because it appears this is being decided for us, whether or not it makes sense.

Timothyd

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Buick Encore, Miata, motorcycles
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Please don't misunderstand me. I'm not saying I like it, I'm just saying we might as well get used to it because it appears this is being decided for us, whether or not it makes sense.
I know, that's how I took it. I've had to get used to a lot of things. The USA I grew up in is gone.

Sponsored

Bob The Builder

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Butch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Cherokee ** 2023 Mav FX/4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
When it comes to right and wrong with BEV's I am only right when it comes to making my personal decision. Firstly, I am not one to spend a lot of money on vehicles, driving a 17 year old truck is testimony to that. Not spending big $$$ on vehicles precludes purchasing BEV's as it seems the auto makers have this penchant to loading up BEV's with tons of unnecessary (for me) bells and whistles that inflate costs. Not my style. Neither are vehicles priced close to 40K right now. That is why I ordered a Maverick and also looking at USED Rangers and the Santa Cruz SEL/Activity at $34K.

My personal opinion as well is the fact that the future of BEV will look nothing like what we see today. Batteries and charging stations to put everyone behind the wheel of a BEV in its current state is a pipe dream. Maybe a technology where the electrolyte in the batteries is replaced instead of charging will be more feasible. The infrastructure is already in place for such a solution and the technology is being developed.

https://www.greencarreports.com/news/1120397_purdue-scientists-test-flow-battery-for-evs-claim-300-mile-range#:~:text=He says that the electrolyte would need to,changes). Purdue calls it the "instantly rechargeable" battery.

Snax

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
1. A submerged fossil fuel vehicle won't spontaneously catch fire "weeks" later.
2. It would easier to acquire a can of gasoline, if empty on the road,than it would be to get charged.
1. If your car becomes submerged in salt water, it should be in a scrap yard--regardless of whether it's gas or electric. The scrap yard will remove the battery to prevent fires.
2. Not necessarily. I can plug in my EV pretty much anywhere there's power--including a 120v outlet (slow), or even a clothes-dryer hookup (reasonably fast).

A long-range EV should be able to get you out of the path of a hurricane just fine, especially if you don't wait until the last minute. So will a gas car--again, if you plan ahead a bit.

The only situation where an EV might be an issue is getting stuck in a snowstorm. Batteries aren't great at providing a lot of heat for prolonged periods of time. If I had to drive an EV in a snowy place where getting stuck for prolonged times was likely, I'd bring warm clothes and maybe even a sleeping bag with me. But I've already done that with my gas vehicles for years in Colorado and Canada, because everyone's heard of people running out gas trying to keep their cars warm...

Allen King Jr

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 C-Max phev, 2006 Mercury Mariner, 2023 Mav XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If they do decide to do a BEV Maverick, I would hope that the suspension would be the same as the non BEV versions, I live in the sticks and drive about 22 miles to work, so I could charge at home every night.

But right now I am hoping that I at least get the 2023 hybrid xl that I ordered before my son graduates college, he is currently 13 :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

There is yesterday, today, and tomorrow.

• Yesterday = ICE.
  • Today = hybrid, ICE or BEV based mainly on your political leanings, socioeconomic status, and social-tribe identity.
  • Tomorrow = BEV.

The fact is people love arguing about cars, especially arguments where I am right and you are wrong. I can remember the arguments last century over forced induction, electronic ignitions, and fuel injection. You think politics ruins dinners and breaks up families? Try bringing up BEVs this Thanksgiving.

Just repeat this mantra, with apologies to "Full Metal Jacket"...

This is my car.
There are many others like it, but this one is mine.
My car is the best car sold today because I chose it.
All other cars are deficient.
All other car buyers are inferior.
This is my car.
My car and me are an unbeatable team.
We are superior to all others.
Pretty much NAILED IT.

BingoDingo

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Nonya
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD Maverick XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
On the news last night was a story of two reasons why you may not want an EV. The biggest was having an EV and living in FL. They were saying during an evacuation for a hurricane sometimes you are stuck in your vehicle, on the road in traffic so long your EV battery goes dead. Another is once the battery goes under in saltwater it can catch fire, even after put out and even start fire weeks later. Take it, that can also happen with the hybrid Maverick battery but at least I can drive it out of FL even if I have to sit in slow traffic for hours.
The batteries in new EV's like a Tesla are sealed and this should not happen when they are underwater. The old Fiskar Karma had this issue. It can still happen, but the overall risk of battery packs catching on fire is lower than that of an ICE car catching on fire. Gas is easier to ignite than battery packs. That being said I'm 100% with you on your first point. In an emergency where the power is out you're in trouble. This is why many people pair it with a solar roof. A lot of investment imho, but I would not have an EV as a sole car, but it's ok as a second car to an ICE.

Sponsored

Bushpilot

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Volt
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'd be thrilled to have a BEV (perhaps a Bolt) as my first vehicle, and the hybrid Maverick as my second vehicle.

I have a Volt, and love the cost and driving experience of an electric car. I'm still burning gas in it, but if I had a 100 mile range (quite easily attainable in modern electric cars), I would easily do 90% plus of my total driving on electricity.

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

The Maverick is pretty darn good. A good balance for most people. It would be ideal if the batteries were "modular". That is, you could swap them out with other sizes, or add more to customize your truck. With just 3x the battery, I could do all my commute electric and have the gas at the ready for those longer trips.

Would be nice if you could pick your own battery (within parameters) like picking your own tires. To get a custom truck for custom needs.

Cool would be if the low voltage pigtail at the tailgate was a high voltage pigtail, and we had the option to add another HV battery in the shape of the in-bed storage cubby. For those that wanted double the EV range, and double the regen.

Last edited:

Timothyd

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Buick Encore, Miata, motorcycles
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

The Maverick is pretty darn good. A good balance for most people. It would be ideal if the batteries were "modular". That is, you could swap them out with other sizes, or add more to customize your truck. With just 3x the battery, I could do all my commute electric and have the gas at the ready for those longer trips.

Would be nice if you could pick your own battery (within parameters) like picking your own tires. To get a custom truck for custom needs.

Cool would be if the low voltage pigtail at the tailgate was a high voltage pigtail, and we had the option to add another HV battery in the shape of the in-bed storage cubby. For those that wanted double the EV range, and double the regen.
I've thought about that. Say adding an additional battery to suite your driving conditions like mountains.

atomguy245

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevrolet Bolt EUV, Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'd be thrilled to have a BEV (perhaps a Bolt) as my first vehicle, and the hybrid Maverick as my second vehicle.

I have a Volt, and love the cost and driving experience of an electric car. I'm still burning gas in it, but if I had a 100 mile range (quite easily attainable in modern electric cars), I would easily do 90% plus of my total driving on electricity.
This is my exact scenario. I drive a Bolt EUV for Uber full time, with a Maverick hybrid as a second vehicle. Fun fact: at current gas prices and my current electricity rate, the Maverick is cheaper to refuel than the Bolt.
Sponsored