First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
On the news last night was a story of two reasons why you may not want an EV. The biggest was having an EV and living in FL. They were saying during an evacuation for a hurricane sometimes you are stuck in your vehicle, on the road in traffic so long your EV battery goes dead. Another is once the battery goes under in saltwater it can catch fire, even after put out and even start fire weeks later. Take it, that can also happen with the hybrid Maverick battery but at least I can drive it out of FL even if I have to sit in slow traffic for hours.
Sponsored

Deleted member 14823

On the news last night was a story of two reasons why you may not want an EV. The biggest was having an EV and living in FL. They were saying during an evacuation for a hurricane sometimes you are stuck in your vehicle, on the road in traffic so long your EV battery goes dead. Another is once the battery goes under in saltwater it can catch fire, even after put out and even start fire weeks later. Take it, that can also happen with the hybrid Maverick battery but at least I can drive it out of FL even if I have to sit in slow traffic for hours.
I think that eventually we're all going to be driving EVs or hybrids. Whatever ICE vehicles that will still be sold will be aimed at enthusiasts and will be sold in limited quantities at a premium. Even traditional sports cars are being redesigned as mild hybrids for the torque gains.

I'm not saying this because I like EVs, but the writing is on the wall in terms of what manufacturers and governments are planning.

Decayed

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
yes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a car
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Yeah hybrids and plug in hybrids are the way to go. Having built-in generating capacity is important in an emergency. EV's are fine for running to the grocery store or commuting to work. I'd like to see them make EV's smaller and much cheaper and stop trying to pretend they are full fledged cars.

Hybrids can have insane performance and still be efficient.

Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The 'going dead while stationary' fear is basically FUD. The control electronics might use a couple hundred watts if you aren't moving and the battery probably has something like 250x that capacity. Okay, so you maybe it's the winter and you need heat? Crank that draw up to 1 kw/h and you still have enough continuous power for something like a day and a half. Which, guess what, is about how long an ICE vehicle would run out of gas idling for heat.

Snax

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
1. All vehicles are permanently damaged after being submerged in salt water.
2. All vehicles will run out of fuel if idling in traffic for long periods.
3. Gas stations usually have massive lines and/or run out of gas to sell during evacuations.

All of that said, I would prefer a vehicle with a large gas tank, or a long-range EV, if I lived in Florida. I would keep the tank full, or the battery charged, and prepare to get the hell out of a hurricane is predicted.

Sponsored

RanCheeto

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volt, Audi TT, 59 Corvette, 30 Model A, etc...
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I read a story about a journalist who tested this theory about sitting in an EV. It will ‘run’ for days, even in winter with heat. Much longer and safer than a gas vehicle. People w gas vehicles also have to clear their tail pipe in snow to avoid carbon monoxide.

A gas vehicle will idle out of gas long before an EV will idle out of power

Not sure about the risk level of batteries in salt water, but thousands more gas vehicles (per mile driven) catch fire and kill than EVs.

Not saying EVs don’t have issues, just think ICE isn’t any better.

Bonus: EVs are now coming out with plugs. An 80kw battery can power an average house for three days or just your refrigerator for over a month.

jsus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid AWD 😉
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
3. Gas stations usually have massive lines and/or run out of gas to sell during evacuations.
Yeah... Seems to be that the real problem is people attempting to drive any vehicle severely damaged due to being submerged in the salty floodwaters. Let the insurance company deal with it, whether gas, hybrid, or electric, before you go back to driving it.

Even with Elon claiming that Tesla's cars can drive through floodwaters, just don't. They won't warranty it, and brief exposure driving through one flooded street is quite different than sitting submerged for an extended duration, anyway.

If it's been flooded, stop driving it. File the insurance claim (hopefully you have comprehensive if you didn't drive it to higher ground), and it's their problem now. If they fix it, fine, otherwise, start shopping.

Aherpa

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Edge, Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I read a story about a journalist who tested this theory about sitting in an EV. It will ‘run’ for days, even in winter with heat. Much longer and safer than a gas vehicle. People w gas vehicles also have to clear their tail pipe in snow to avoid carbon monoxide.

A gas vehicle will idle out of gas long before an EV will idle out of power

Not sure about the risk level of batteries in salt water, but thousands more gas vehicles (per mile driven) catch fire and kill than EVs.

Not saying EVs don’t have issues, just think ICE isn’t any better.

Bonus: EVs are now coming out with plugs. An 80kw battery can power an average house for three days or just your refrigerator for over a month.
A link to that story would be interesting to follow.

If I had to hunker down in a vehicle to get through a snow storm, I'd rather have a gas vehicle with a full tank than an fully charged EV. Almost nothing drains a battery faster than converting volts to heat. . . With a gas engine, heat is merely a byproduct.:)

Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If I had to hunker down in a vehicle to get through a snow storm, I'd rather have a gas vehicle with a full tank than an fully charged EV. Almost nothing drains a battery faster than converting volts to heat. . . With a gas engine, heat is merely a byproduct.:)
An EV driving drains power an order of magnitude faster than converting volts to heat. So accomplishing the latter is pretty trivial.

es7129

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
An ICE engine is limited as well. My SRT4 barely lasted an 8 hour shift continuously idling with 10 gallons.

Sponsored

TyPope

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Tesla Model Y, 2018 Ford F150
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
A link to that story would be interesting to follow.

Yeah, though the newer heat pump cars do a lot better.

KSC Grey Ghost

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Yes Joe a agree with you 100% . Look at Ca
Yes Joe I agree 100% look at California they're always having a Big Brown now and blackouts or electric grill so it goes down all the time what's going to happen when they have a huge earthquake no power or have no electricity from a fire not good also I live in the middle nowhere in Tennessee and the power is always going out because high wind s and strong thunderstorm and ice storms .👎☹🌩❄⚡😱

OP
OP

JoeTime

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

All of that said, I would prefer a vehicle with a large gas tank, or a long-range EV, if I lived in Florida. I would keep the tank full, or the battery charged, and prepare to get the hell out of a hurricane is predicted.
1. A submerged fossil fuel vehicle won't spontaneously catch fire "weeks" later.
2. It would easier to acquire a can of gasoline, if empty on the road,than it would be to get charged.

TedTX

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Hybrids are the best of both worlds. Keeping hot or cool for days on a tank of gas. Used a Prius as a teardrop like camper on worse days ( heat or AC blasting ) took two gallons per day. Avg was just over a gallon on better camping days. That includes running a rice cooker, a little Tv and charging portable devices, phone ipad, ‘game boy’ etc.
We lost power all of the daytime hours during the Texas deep freeze a year or so ago and stayed warm car camping.

Timothyd

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Buick Encore, Miata, motorcycles
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I think that eventually we're all going to be driving EVs or hybrids. Whatever ICE vehicles that will still be sold will be aimed at enthusiasts and will be sold in limited quantities at a premium. Even traditional sports cars are being redesigned as mild hybrids for the torque gains.

I'm not saying this because I like EVs, but the writing is on the wall in terms of what manufacturers and governments are planning.
Well, government planning is a big warm fuzzy dream and a lot of hyperbole. First off we surely won't have the electrical generating capacity. We're on the edge right now, and we haven't built any new generating plants in 30 years and it would take a long time to get to that point. Then, if, IF there were all the battery cars there wouldn't be the gas tax to support the infrastructure and the tax on them would have to go way up. And, that's for starters.
Sponsored