Had a verbal deal at MSRP, but dealer reneged and wants $5k over MSRP

Lappo424

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Accord - Looking to switch to Maverick XL
Went to see and test drive the the maverick and the salesperson told me he knows Toyota is charging 5k over MSRP, but his dealership isn’t yet. I sat down with him and he wrote up two quotes. One with 5k markup and one without. I said can you do the one without and he said yes, you live locally and I can get it done for you. I told him I would buy it at full MSRP. He proceeded to go through all of the rebates to see if any applied and then discussed financing and gave me the monthly payment. I said ok, I will buy it at those terms. He then went into the office for a few minutes and when he came out he said I have to charge you 5k over MSRP. I was stunned, I didn’t know what to say and my son was sitting with me and so excited about buying the truck for him. So I said we had a deal at MSRP, I’m not paying 5k over and walked out.

I feel we were severely misled and bait and switch occurred. Is this common practice? Is this unethical sales practices? Do I have any recourse?

Please let me know your thoughts and any suggestions you may have.
Where was this at
Sponsored

atomguy245

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevrolet Bolt EUV, Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm surprised to see so many people saying (or at least implying) that they have a deal, but that they don't have it in writing signed by both parties.

The reality is that if you don't have a deal (including the price) in writing, you don't have a deal. You may eventually get that deal, but it's entirely up to the dealership.
Some people here have signed full purchase orders with deposit, some have just left a deposit and signed the order sheet listing the build with msrp, and some have done neither, just a handshake and a "see you in 6 months."

Mikeysd

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Laiat pepper red Lux package 2022
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Call ford directly and complain about the dealer. This is the only way we can get this to stop.
Also post how bad they are on all the sites they use, google, yelp, facebook etc .
And the only way this stops if no one buys a car from that dealership and they would be force to go out of business.
remember if it's taxable it's negotiable.

Red Ryder

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick XLT Iconic Silver
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I finally got to see two Mavericks last night, both XLT Ecoboosts.

I liked the size and really wanted to like the truck overall, but both me and my wife were a bit underwhelmed. It is a good deal if purchased at or below MSRP, but I certainly wouldn't pay a premium for it.

I hate to say it, but it did get me thinking about options. And I'm the guy who typically buys base models as I normally prefer manual transmissions and they are often only available on lower trims.

That said, we both sat silent for a while not wanting to admit that my 2018 Colorado Work Truck was much more comfortable and pleasant . And it gets 30ish MPG on my typical commute. I have some thinking to do.

Sponsored

Bushpilot

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Volt
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I finally got to see two Mavericks last night, both XLT Ecoboosts.

I liked the size and really wanted to like the truck overall, but both me and my wife were a bit underwhelmed. It is a good deal if purchased at or below MSRP, but I certainly wouldn't pay a premium for it.

I hate to say it, but it did get me thinking about options. And I'm the guy who typically buys base models as I normally prefer manual transmissions and they are often only available on lower trims.

That said, we both sat silent for a while not wanting to admit that my 2018 Colorado Work Truck was much more comfortable and pleasant . And it gets 30ish MPG on my typical commute. I have some thinking to do.
Sounds to me your decision is obvious! (y)

Phil3333

First Name
Phillip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Went to see and test drive the the maverick and the salesperson told me he knows Toyota is charging 5k over MSRP, but his dealership isn’t yet. I sat down with him and he wrote up two quotes. One with 5k markup and one without. I said can you do the one without and he said yes, you live locally and I can get it done for you. I told him I would buy it at full MSRP. He proceeded to go through all of the rebates to see if any applied and then discussed financing and gave me the monthly payment. I said ok, I will buy it at those terms. He then went into the office for a few minutes and when he came out he said I have to charge you 5k over MSRP. I was stunned, I didn’t know what to say and my son was sitting with me and so excited about buying the truck for him. So I said we had a deal at MSRP, I’m not paying 5k over and walked out.

I feel we were severely misled and bait and switch occurred. Is this common practice? Is this unethical sales practices? Do I have any recourse?

Please let me know your thoughts and any suggestions you may have.
I had a similar thing happen at auto nation in Colorado made an agreement over the phone got the sales contract went to my bank got financing done called them back to make pick up arrangements kept getting the run around and my saleswoman avoiding me she finally answered and tells me they have decided not to sell and keep it for a demo..right

OP
OP

Qball

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Aviator, Cherokee and Grand Cherokee
Where in NJ are you? I am in northern NJ and the dealer I go to charges MSRP and accepted my Z-plan.
I’m in Monmouth county. I am willing to travel in order to do business with a reliable trustworthy dealer. My last vehicle I purchased Wayne Lincoln, it was seamless, everything was done over the phone and they delivered what was discussed.

OP
OP

Qball

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well if your not going to name the dealership I don't see what purpose thoughts and suggestions would have, and I don't understand the Toyota reference. the only reason he would mention that is if every dealer in NJ is taking advantage of the pandemic. I will be doing the same when I take delivery, I also have a soft agreement, a signed dora, but time will tell. Remember if you leave with your money in your pocket your the winner.
I didn’t think this was the right place to trash a dealership, but since you asked it is DCH Ford of Eatonown

OP
OP

Qball

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This is an important question to know was the truck ordered as stock or retail? Because I need to know do I need a posse to collect my Maverick when I show up at the dealer on the day of? I would think at the least 6 guys and 6 women to raise hell at that dealer. The audible hoopla in the dealership will be a seen they will regret. But very important to know if this order was retail or stock
It was dealer stock, but I spoke to another dealer and they wouldn’t give me an exact price if I ordered one. They said adjustments in price could happen. Hope your situation works out

Sponsored
OP
OP

Qball

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think he qualifies for a priority 0 = "something bad happened like destroyed in transit" and Ford puts it at front of line and in this case lowers dealers allocation 3 units!
Definitely going to complain to Ford corporate

potatosalad

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Eventually all manufacturers will figure out that transparent pricing and purchasing direct from manufacturers is where it's at. I guess it's difficult for them to calculate the lost sales from these practices. Checked out a Santa Cruz when it first came out- markup. My Wife is trying to purchase a Q4- markup. Just give me a competitive no haggle price and you have my business- enough with the time wasting. Sorry to hear this happened to you OP.

OP
OP

Qball

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Low inventory, supply chain delays, and some dealers are sketchy enough to do this sort of thing to make up for it. Although it's legal, it hurts the end consumer more. Jacking up the price they pay on something that's going to take a depreciation hit anyway, and then the market stabilizes, its going to be priced well below market value in the end. Paying ADM today means a bigger loss later. Don't do it if you don't have to.

My advice is this:
1. Get it in writing. Not just the DORA, but a "Purchase Agreement" filled out and have the dealership sign it when you order. I am seeing a handful of B6G forums where dealers are doing the same with huge ADMs at the last minute, or coming up with reasons to cancel reservations, or some other mess to try and make a fast buck. Call them out.
2. Call around. A handful of dealers are selling at MSRP or better.
3. My dealership hit me with a $1K ADM on my Bronco, but no ADM on my Maverick, but they told me up front, and put it in writing, signed, sealed, delivered. And it's the lowest ADM in the area, but just at that point where I would still lose that much to go to the next nearest who is selling at MSRP, so it becomes a wash in the end for me.

But as others also said, name the dealer. Make sure others know which ones to AVOID. Sadly, century-old laws in their favor allow them to do things that take advantage of customers. The only real method we have as consumers to fight back is to simply not buy from them and stick to the honest, reliable, and respectable dealerships.
DCH Ford in Eatonown. They can do whatever they want but the salesman told me I can purchase at MSRP and I agreed to it then he changed it afterwards. I spent over an hour there. I would have walked out Earlier if I knew I was being charged over MSRP. I walked out on Toyota, but at least it was stated on the sticker

OP
OP

Qball

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’m assuming this was a stock unit. Although I don’t condone it, I can understand needing to pay overhead in a time where vehicles are hard to come by may necessitate ADM.
If they want to charge over MSRP they should be upfront and tell you during initial conversation so I could walk before hearing all the BS At least Toyota had it printed on the sticker
Sponsored