Sponsored

H&R Escape lowering springs on Maverick (AWD - H&R 28633-1)

DavesMav

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
I'm reading different results on these springs so I wanted to start a simple thread to document the results of those who have installed H&R Escape Springs on their Mavericks. Specifically AWD - H&R 28633-1

@Canyon Racer - 2" front drop, 3" rear drop, modified rear insulator
@JJC - 2" front drop, but rear drop was uneven @ 3.5" driver and 3" passenger, used Escape lower insulators BOTH sides and 1/2" shim on driver side only
@HPR - FD 1 3/4", FP 1 7/8", RD 3", RP 3" Escape insulator on passenger only
@Asaleigh - no measurements, can barely tell it lowered any at all, used Escape insulator
@Mrboom_5.0 - TBD pending installation

If you have no experience with these, please do not post in this thread. I'm simply looking for verified installations, the resulting specs and any additional info. that seems pertinent. I will update this post as more information is presented, I've tagged those who I know have or will be installing these springs. I understand some of you may have concerns such as payload of Escape vs. Maverick, I'm not looking for those kind of debates here; just measurements and install notes from actual installations.

I presume the best course of action for a simple installation would be for folks to just wait for Maverick specific springs. However, in looking at H&R's other drop springs, the drops are pretty mild. If we know the Escape springs drop 2"/3", that may be a preferred option over Maverick specific springs that only drop 1.4" all around (just an example as I have no idea what they're aiming for with the actual Maverick kit). Thanks, Dave
Sponsored

Last edited:

HPR

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
FD 1 3/4"
FP 1 7/8"
RD 3"
RP 3"
Before removing the leveling kit my drivers side was 3/8" lower than the passenger side was, now its 1/8" lower than the passenger side. The rear was level with 1" leveling kit and still is with the springs. A escape rubber was used on the passenger side rear.

Ford Maverick H&R Escape lowering springs on Maverick (AWD - H&R 28633-1) 20220227_162740

Maveriac

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick XLT AWD, Ford F150 Lariat 4WD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I like the stance also. I want to be about 2" lower to enable easier access for my wife. The guy that has the ultra modified Maverick has an air ride suspension, so I am told. It is one awesome ride. Hardly looks like a Maverick. I mean that in a good way.
The air ride suspension just isn't in the budget. It would solve the problem of too low or too high and easy access though.
I still want to wait for a 2022 Maverick 2.0EB and AWD specific lowering kit.

Reactions: JJC

Sponsored

HPR

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I like the stance also. I want to be about 2" lower to enable easier access for my wife. The guy that has the ultra modified Maverick has an air ride suspension, so I am told. It is one awesome ride. Hardly looks like a Maverick. I mean that in a good way.
The air ride suspension just isn't in the budget. It would solve the problem of too low or too high and easy access though.
I still want to wait for a 2022 Maverick 2.0EB and AWD specific lowering kit.
If you wanted to know what your truck will look like with a 2/3" drop on the same wheels. :oops:

Ford Maverick H&R Escape lowering springs on Maverick (AWD - H&R 28633-1) 20220306_122124

Maveriac

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick XLT AWD, Ford F150 Lariat 4WD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Wow! That is the look I am after. Did you do the work yourself?

Gaucholoco

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If you wanted to know what your truck will look like with a 2/3" drop on the same wheels. :oops:

20220306_122124.jpg
Can you share specs on the wheels and tire size. Also, if you had to use spacers. Thanks. I like the stance. Looks pretty similar to the @canyonracer truck

HPR

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Can you share specs on the wheels and tire size. Also, if you had to use spacers. Thanks. I like the stance. Looks pretty similar to the @canyonracer truck
20x8.5 +38MM on 245/45 tires that are very close to the stock size. No issues with rubbing or clearance. I bought 25mm spacers to widen the rear since it is narrow but actually didn't like the wheels sticking out so far.

Ford Maverick H&R Escape lowering springs on Maverick (AWD - H&R 28633-1) 20220306_173136

Ricketts

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
20x8.5 +38MM on 245/45 tires that are very close to the stock size. No issues with rubbing or clearance. I bought 25mm spacers to widen the rear since it is narrow but actually didn't like the wheels sticking out so far.

20220306_173136.jpg
Any poke out in the front with the +38?

Sponsored

uh50

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.hchaney.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL, VB, 2.0 EB
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Here's the skinny on my experience with these springs:

Front lowered: 1-7/8" (same drop on both sides)
Rear lowered: 3-1/2" driver side, 3-1/8" passenger side
Escape lower insulators used on both sides: LX6Z-8321-B

And here's even more information on my install.

Firstly, my Maverick is 4k equipped and I had roughly 1" of rake in stock form.

The front of mine lowered just under 2", call it 1-7/8" since it seems you're looking for more specific numbers. I will say the front H&R springs on the Maverick struts are a bit loose with no load on them. They were not loose enough to concern me, but just loose enough that I could rotate them a bit before I installed the strut assembly back onto my Maverick. My guess is that the Escape struts are just a bit shorter than the Maverick struts. Which could also explain why I got ~1.9" of front drop vs. H&R's estimated ~1.4" on the Escape. The Maverick is a little heavier than the Escape, so that also would make sense to expect a bit more drop all around.

For the rear; I used the Escape lower insulators on both sides. The Maverick's lower insulators are a little larger in diameter but roughly the same thickness. I had already purchased two Escape insulators in anticipation so I felt more comfortable just using the Escape insulators which the springs were initially designed with by H&R. The Maverick lower insulators are probably just fine but you would need to modify the passenger side at a minimum to get the Escape spring to sit properly. Part numbers for the Escape insulators: LX6Z-8321-B Now for the rear's results, mine lowered 3-1/8" on the passenger side and 3-1/2" on the driver side. Something to note is that my truck with stock springs sat 1/8" lower on the driver side already. So the Escape springs lowered the driver's side 3/8" more than the passenger side. I swapped springs from side to side to make sure it wasn't a spring issue, didn't seem to matter as it sat exactly the same. Looking at pictures of the Escape's rear suspension, the arms look a bit different than the Mavericks. Combine that with the Maverick using RH & LH springs and Escape using the same spring for both sides, it makes sense that there could be discrepancies when mixing parts between the two.

These are the only pictures I have of mine immediately after installing the H&R springs.

Passenger side, the rear sat ~1/8" lower so pretty close to level.
1645285862857.png

Driver side, a noticeable "squat" to it with the rear being 1/2" lower than the front.

If you're looking to lower your Maverick ASAP, you can make these work. If you're looking for a simple install with no need to improvise, I'd suggest waiting for Maverick specific springs.

The uneven drop in the rear was the biggest surprise I ran into but it was simple enough to fix. I've since made a rear upper insulator spacer from HDPE. I have a 1/2" spacer on the driver side. This accomplished two things; it got the back sitting evenly from side-to-side and also raised the rear to be 1/8" higher than the front. I've also got a set of universal Air Lift helper bags to go in the rear springs. I won't use them all that much but for ~$100 they'll be nice to have if/when I need them. I'll update once I get them installed to confirm fitment and part number. Good idea on the thread though, I'm curious to see other's results.
Great Look and I'm sure the lower Maverick will handle even better on curvy roads. I had a 2003 ZRX that was lowered 2" from the factory with a beefed up suspension and 10" wide tires, and it handled fantastic. This is something I might consider adding Bilstein shocks and other handling upgrades making it a true sport truck. Good job! :cool:

Reactions: JJC
OP
OP

DavesMav

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
I never posted any pics here of the updated spacers I used, so here's a couple. CNC'd HDPE. They go in between the upper insulator and body to add just a bit of height to the rear.

If anyone needs rear shims/spacers just let me know. I can get them in either 1/4" or 3/8" material. Due to the suspension geometry, the actual lift will vary from the actual material thickness. The 3/8" I used got me almost 1/2" of lift.

IMG_8020.jpg

IMG_8021.jpg

If you have a spare cutting board, you could just use that as well. That's what got me by until I had these made :ROFLMAO:
If I do these springs I will certainly take a pair as it seems almost necessary to get the look that I want. Not to mention I don't think I could hack something out of a cutting board as cleanly as a cnc can route. How much for a pair? Also, have you considered making these from aluminum?

Something else, but you may want to share these elsewhere. You might very well have a much larger market than just the lowered folks. In the two times I've levelled vehicles by lifting the front, I've both times ended up adding additional small spacers just like this to the back as I always like just a bit of rake and the leveling kits take that away resulting in true level. I think you may do very well selling these to the ones lifting their front end to level and then finding out that they want to add that little bit of rake back in. Just thinking out loud..

Guymon72

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Frontier, KTM SuperDuke GT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I never posted any pics here of the updated spacers I used, so here's a couple. CNC'd HDPE. They go in between the upper insulator and body to add just a bit of height to the rear.

If anyone needs rear shims/spacers just let me know. I can get them in either 1/4" or 3/8" material. Due to the suspension geometry, the actual lift will vary from the actual material thickness. The 3/8" I used got me almost 1/2" of lift.

IMG_8020.jpg

IMG_8021.jpg

If you have a spare cutting board, you could just use that as well. That's what got me by until I had these made :ROFLMAO:
how much and how soon could i get some?
Sponsored