stoptothink

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 VW jetta
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
So, I live in snow country, and that video is supposed to convince me that I "need" FX4? I guess I'm not too smart, because until now I thought I was doing fine with FWD.
Ditto. If anything that video provides more explanation as to why you should get snow tires. I snow shoe a few hundred miles in the Utah mountains every single year (and have done so for 15yrs), never encountered a situation that my FWD VW jetta (or hyundai accent before it) on snow tires couldn't handle.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Mike

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma Ranger F350’s
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
You need look at the steep hill later in vid to see where sand mode works best. He got stuck in slippery mode. Sand pulled through. Dedicated winter tire wouldn’t do much better there. Only on the hardpack in first part of vid.

I really like the brake traction feature on all the AWD Mavs. My brothers Jeep has something similar and it pulls you out of sticky situations really well.

wondering about mud/ruts setting. Is it a low gear brake lock type setting ?

Moby

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hummer H3 sprinter van 65 chevy 11 Doka syncro
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

If you really want to see what a mavericks snow limits are ,go to a YouTube channel ( Daniel Deliverz ) . Wouldn't want to do this to my truck , but like he said someone had to do it .

Montevilla

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cactus Gray Maverick XL Hybrid w/moonroof
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Well that was clickbaity to say the least.

brnpttmn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
So, I live in snow country, and that video is supposed to convince me that I "need" FX4? I guess I'm not too smart, because until now I thought I was doing fine with FWD.
Yeah. I'm not sure some edge case (extreme grade unplowed deep snow) should convince me or other the millions of others in the "snow belt" that the FX4 is worth the $10-15K it'd cost me over my hybrid. People tend to underestimate FWD's capabilities and overestimate the frequency of conditions that would actually "require" AWD.

That said, the climb up that snowy hill was pretty impressive.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Mike

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma Ranger F350’s
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I would take FWD with Blizzaks over AWD with All Seasons or A/T’s for most situations

But ideal if you want best traction on turns and inclines and deep snow is dedicated Winters snd AWD

the brake traction control on all AWD Mavs is worth the price of admission alone

Moby

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hummer H3 sprinter van 65 chevy 11 Doka syncro
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Well that was clickbaity to say the least.
O hope I didn't break the rules . Watch this guy before you report me ! Its called extreme snow test . You have the same color as I ordered Cactus ,how do you like it ? your truck looks sharp with the steel wheels and cactus gray .

OP
OP

Mike

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma Ranger F350’s
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Has anyone had the brake feature activate in the snow? This feature is insanely useful on Jeeps with Select Trac as it can pull you out of some sticky situations that might lead to getting stuck or needing traction ramps.

"The AWD system also works hand-in-hand with the Maverick’s braking system. In fact, Wilson worked closely with the brakes control engineers to make sure the braking system and AWD system work together efficiently.

Drivers will notice one of the results of this collaboration while they’re trying to steer sharply at a low speed in deep snow — for instance, a snow-filled parking lot. In this setting, the Maverick can apply braking force to the inside rear wheel, almost like an automatic parking-brake slide, but much more precise and seamless.

“Braking of the inside rear wheel does three distinct things,” Wilson Explains. “It makes the inside rear wheel act as an anchor for the rest of the vehicle to turn, it transfers torque to the outside rear wheel, helping the vehicle rotate, and by slowing the inside rear wheel, it speeds up the outside rear wheel, further increasing rotation. Another way to think about this is to consider how a tank steers.”

Johnkn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, Viper, 66 Shelby, 68.5 CJ Mustang, Pantera
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Which of the (2) flavors of Blizzaks are people running?

OP
OP

Mike

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma Ranger F350’s
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
WS90

Johnkn