Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 99 E150 Clb Wgn, 23 Mav XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

OK. I told my GF about my order (XL Hybrid Atlas Blue, no options). She doesn’t think we need a truck. She wants me to change my order to Area 51. It may make the difference between her allowing me to get the truck or not. I have a scheduled production date of 12/19. Take the chance to tell the dealer I want to change the color? What impact do you think this would make on production happening? I don’t really need another vehicle, but I want a little truck.
Tell her to fly a kite, it's not her decision. My wife won't even try to tell me what to buy. My money to spend however I chose. I don't tell her how to spend her money either.
Sponsored

commadorebob

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Explorer Limited; 2023 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
To slightly defend the OP, "doesn't think we need a truck" and "doesn't want me to get a truck" are two different things. My wife doesn't think I need a gaming laptop but our marriage hardly struggled when I got it. My wife doesn't want me to get a motorcycle, and so I never have.

The former is her opinion but is subject to change. The latter is something you just need to deal with if you plan to spend your life with her.

As for the color, that's just a preference thing. Honestly, the fact you are getting a choice is a benefit as you usually get what the dealer has on the lot. You might be able to change it. But it is up to you to decide if that is a hill worth dying on.

NJBob

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick, 2003 MR2, 2019 Forrester, 1969 Z/28
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Find this post amusing to say the least. My truck is at the dealer and after 10.5 months the wife decides to chime in. She is a better negotiator than me though so I will bring her along. Looking fwd to get my truck but not the buying process.

LSchicago

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 99 E150 Clb Wgn, 23 Mav XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

What does she have against blue, one of the best colors offered? Did someone with blue eyes screw her over? Will she have PTSD everytime she sees it? Will she just want to key the s#1t out of it slash the tires and bust out the windows because it's blue? I've left a few crazy women in my years before it got too bad. You may need to re-evaluate her, and whether you need her or not.

Timothyd

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Buick Encore, Miata, motorcycles
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

OK. I told my GF about my order (XL Hybrid Atlas Blue, no options). She doesn’t think we need a truck. She wants me to change my order to Area 51. It may make the difference between her allowing me to get the truck or not. I have a scheduled production date of 12/19. Take the chance to tell the dealer I want to change the color? What impact do you think this would make on production happening? I don’t really need another vehicle, but I want a little truck.
Totally your truck but, what the heck, make her happy. A51 is unrestrained so should be no trouble just blame it on the girlfriend, everyone will understand. As compensation, later on you can paint some flames on it or something.

Sponsored

olderbudwiser

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Lincoln Corsair, 2023 Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Hahaha, are you married? Although I’m not, it’s as close to it I’ve ever been. You gotta get buy in from your spouse (or spouse equivalent) Or be in the dog house. I’m paying for it.
Ya I'm married I get what I want she gets what she wants. Thats how equal relationships work.

If you roll over before getting married expect the same to happen over and over and over again.

Mightybeast

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

So, I was told many times that you can't change order after VIN received, and your vehicle is scheduled for production. Practically that means that Ford allocated parts for your specific vehicle, possibility that they paint several vehicles same color. Obviously you can request the change, but you will be liable for further delays if its even possible and if they accept it in the first place. Be grateful that truck has been scheduled for production. Who knows, you might attract a better candidate to seat on passenger seat.

HolyCarp

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Cactus Gray XLT Eco AWD FX4 4K
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Go with the color change and you'll always be like this:

Ford Maverick GF wants me to change the color on my order Area 51 vs Atlas Blue

10Terp

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Brady
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Explorer XLT, '06 Escape Hybrid, '04 Expy
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
To slightly defend the OP, "doesn't think we need a truck" and "doesn't want me to get a truck" are two different things. My wife doesn't think I need a gaming laptop but our marriage hardly struggled when I got it. My wife doesn't want me to get a motorcycle, and so I never have.

The former is her opinion but is subject to change. The latter is something you just need to deal with if you plan to spend your life with her.

As for the color, that's just a preference thing. Honestly, the fact you are getting a choice is a benefit as you usually get what the dealer has on the lot. You might be able to change it. But it is up to you to decide if that is a hill worth dying on.
Hah, I was in this boat a few months ago.

Me: "I really want to get a Legion 5 pro."
Her: "A what what?"
Me: "A new laptop, I have the money set aside from selling my cousin the other gaming computer."
Her: "Oh ok, go for it."

Same sort of conversation happened for the Maverick. Sold my Mustang GT, told her I'm going to buy a maverick with the money, "oh ok, go for it. it would be nice to have a new hybrid." Wife is also shockingly OK with me having motorcycles and supported me going on a few two week trips to CA and northern Canuckistan. I lucked out.

That said, we don't know the entire context of OP's relationship. I tend to withhold judgment, but it's your money, chose the color you want.

Sponsored

OleFordGuy

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 Lariat, Expedition Limited, 22 Mav Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Hum you gonna have a ruff life ahead of you if you let a GF dictate your wants/preferences. Order it like YOU want, your paying for it

dcs12345

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 Chevy
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I originally had an order for an area51, but after seeing it in person, I decided that I wanted something a little less "road colored" since it didn't really stand out from the grays that much.

I told my wife that I'm changing and she said NO..

....just kidding, she asked what color I'm switching to. I said Cyber O and showed her the CO thread. She asked if I was sure and I said YES and she replied "well, at least you can see it" and that it looks fun.

SLINGSHOT

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 RAV4
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Keep the truck. Dump the lump.

CTYankee

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.catvert68.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Ignore the relationship advice. No one here knows you, your girlfriend, or the dynamics of your relationship. That last one should define whether you request a color change or not. It just comes down to your priorities and preferences and the extent to which you accommodate each other.

I actually ended up with my Maverick because of this exact issue. When it arrived at the dealership, the customer who ordered it came with his wife to take delivery and she absolutely hated the color (Velocity Blue). They refused it and ordered another one in a different color. I scooped the refused Maverick the next day (October 2021).

Occasionally I wonder if that guy is still waiting for his second order to come in.

wax87

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Stuart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Avalon
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Tell her to fly a kite, it's not her decision. My wife won't even try to tell me what to buy. My money to spend however I chose. I don't tell her how to spend her money either.
Wifes get influence, GF can make suggestions but in the end it is YOUR truck
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.