Getting real tired of the $20k truck argument. ..rant

M.A.C.

First Name
Manny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Sierra 1500 Elevation
Ranger XLT 4x4 are about $38K and that is how I discovered the Maverick.
And the Ranger 4 by 4 Lariat is $44,400 and it has the black leather seats that should be offered in The Maverick Lariat Lux package, not that whatever you want to call ugly vinyl , I mean Come On that’s the best you can do for the top of the line Lariat. Plus what about seeing every exterior paint color around the interior door pillar Really!
Sponsored

mjkladis

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Tucson
Boy, I can see some people on here don’t understand how they can keep manufacturing cost down to make the truck more affordable. Look at the Santa Cruz and Ridgeline. Not a traditional truck but they can easily match the mod-size truck price tags.

All of these selections to the design and materials were made to keep cost down but still bring some good features into this price point. Navy plastics were a bold strategy but IMO looks REALLY good since it’s so different. If you look from XL to Lariat most or all the navy panels are the same!! 😱

Eagle11

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'07 Boxster S, 2018 BMW M5, Ducati's, Suzuki's
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

As for options you want... wait a year or two, maybe Ford will add them once they have the manufacturing/supply side of things running smoothly.
I'm betting that a Plug in will happen in the next 2-3 yrs, I also bet that the Push Button Start ends up in the base and XLT model at the same time.

Eagle11

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Boy, I can see some people on here don’t understand how they can keep manufacturing cost down to make the truck more affordable. Look at the Santa Cruz and Ridgeline. Not a traditional truck but they can easily match the mod-size truck price tags.

All of these selections to the design and materials were made to keep cost down but still bring some good features into this price point. Navy plastics were a bold strategy but IMO looks REALLY good since it’s so different. If you look from XL to Lariat most or all the navy panels are the same!! 😱
People want what they want, and don't want to hear "So, you can't get that"

mjkladis

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Tucson
People want what they want, and don't want to hear "So, you can't get that"
I’m pretty sure the minds behind the design knew that when they made their decisions. It’s going to turn some people away from their color choices but they wanted to bring a bold look to a compact truck that could have easily just been all black inside.

Sponsored

OP
OP
vezpa

vezpa

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
EMG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Too many to list.
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
They already make the nice charcoal XL interior. It could have easily been offered in the XLT too instead of that hideous XLT interior. It wouldnt have requited reinventing the wheel to make that happen.

Eagle11

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I’m pretty sure the minds behind the design knew that when they made their decisions. It’s going to turn some people away from their color choices but they wanted to bring a bold look to a compact truck that could have easily just been all black inside.
The truck was designed for younger people, who today want a bold design.

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
They already make the nice charcoal XL interior. It could have easily been offered in the XLT too instead of that hideous XLT interior. It wouldnt have requited reinventing the wheel to make that happen.
Doesn't sound like you have any idea how design, manufacturing, and marketing works. Please enlighten us on how Ford could EASILY have offered a different interior.

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

totally agree. It also highlights how Amazon mentality has completely divorced the buying experience from daily reality. You can't buy EVERYTHING in life on-line with no human interaction at any point in the transaction and just make a few clicks using an on-line platform and expect delivery in 24-48 hrs- or it's time get mad and rant :rolleyes:

DryHeat

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
DryHeat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Patriot
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
People on this thread (and others) keep arguing about whether Ford made good or bad decisions about this or that feature, option, color, etc., and often suggest what Ford "should have done."

I don't think Ford looks at this so much in terms of "good" and "bad." I think they look at it in terms of "successful" and "unsuccessful" in the marketplace.

Ford targeted 110k sales for Maverick this year. They already have about that many reservations and, depending on your source, have converted maybe 30k to 50k into orders.

They are easily on track to sell what they can build this year, and, if needed, they can always change what they offer in the future if the market lags. No doubt they will.

Full Disclosure: I spend a good part of the year on a small island with no bridge or car ferry. I really think Ford should offer an amphibious model. But I'm not getting my hopes up.

Sponsored

Phil37

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 VW Golf Sportwagen, 2012 VW Routan
I see the impatient haters here bashing on Ford for constraints and wait times. I also see the Fanboys singing Fords praise for anything they do, even while people have been waiting well over a year for Broncos, 100k plus F-150s sitting in storage lots waiting on chips and watching as Ford has more and more supply problems well documented in the mainstream news with many of their vehicles with no clear answer or solution.

I get the supply problems on this and other items. What I don't often get is the response and answers from Ford and some of the fanboys. I think Ford has a hit truck on their hands with this Maverick, but I think they also may have rushed out some things too soon and not offered different choices and solutions to some of the problems they are now facing.

What I CANNOT stand is people that keep bringing up the "What do you want or expect from a $20k truck", any time Ford is called to task or we ask why certain options are not available on this truck. I ordered a $28k XL and cant get a stand alone cruise control. My friend ordered a $33k XLT and couldn't get a Sirius radio. Lack of a black leather choice in a $37k Lariat. Constraints on items that could be completed later after the purchase by the dealer instead of holding up an order indefinitely. Can we still use the "what do you expect for a $20k truck excuse when addressing any complaint"? I understand that I bought a truck from the cheaper end of their line, but I didn't buy the bottom of the barrel FWD base model.

The price range on these Mavericks go from $20k up to about $40k. That is a huge swing. In my case, my build is just over $28k. That no longer qualifies my truck as a $20k truck, at least in my mind. Very few people are buying the base model with no options. I would venture a guess the average build is somewhere around $28k. I think people who are paying this much have the right to gripe or talk about without hearing the "what do you expect for a $20k truck comment. If you want to bitch about people complaining that's fine, just don't use the $20k truck argument.

I also think more constraints are going to keep coming, I hope I'm wrong. I am not one of those constantly complaining here every 5 minutes, but I'm afraid that while someone decides to patiently wait for an item on constraint, another will pop up a month or two further down the line, further delaying the order.

As a side note, I will go on the record saying the next constraint will be a sun roof...

Rant over...
You're right in that the average build will probably be around $28k. That's where my build is at, or just under at $27,550 I think. That's for a base XL w/ steel wheels in Area 51 color (which I think looks great, including the silver steel wheels), 2.0 Ecoboost, AWD, 4K towing package, spray in bed liner, 360, bed lighting, all weather and carpet floor mats, rear manual window, first aid kit and road assistance kit. Admittedly the $19,995 starting price is what really grabbed my attention initially. Nice job Ford! You're putting non pickup drivers into pickups! There must be some huge government corporate incentive for doing such..LOL? I realized as appealing as a $20k pick up might be, spending another $7.5k makes a lot of sense and makes it that much better to our family needs at least. It's still a bargain at $27.5k. The Maverick will be an amazing little pickup that's going to appeal to the masses whether you spend that MSRP of $19,995 for the base no option fwd hybrid or go all out for the highest trim with every option and get to around $38k or go somewhere in the middle where the OP mentioned and for around $28k +/- $3k get that perfect little pick up.

Eagle11

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

People on this thread (and others) keep arguing about whether Ford made good or bad decisions about this or that feature, option, color, etc., and often suggest what Ford "should have done."

I don't think Ford looks at this so much in terms of "good" and "bad." I think they look at it in terms of "successful" and "unsuccessful" in the marketplace.

Ford targeted 110k sales for Maverick this year. They already have about that many reservations and, depending on your source, have converted maybe 30k to 50k into orders.

They are easily on track to sell what they can build this year, and, if needed, they can always change what they offer in the future if the market lags. No doubt they will.

Full Disclosure: I spend a good part of the year on a small island with no bridge or car ferry. I really think Ford should offer an amphibious model. But I'm not getting my hopes up.
Let's add to something I think people are missing, the Maverick was designed around the active person, all the photos and videos from Ford are of people around 25, I'm sure that age group has a HUGE influence on the design of the Truck. I don't think Ford cares what the 40+ people care.

But I'm lost on why the Maverick does not come with a push start in all trims, that to me all young people like not having to fiddle with keys.

FLAirGunner

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nothing yet!
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
But I'm lost on why the Maverick does not come with a push start in all trims, that to me all young people like not having to fiddle with keys.
They had to leave something for the Lariat to entice us to spend more!

WesM

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Let's add to something I think people are missing, the Maverick was designed around the active person, all the photos and videos from Ford are of people around 25, I'm sure that age group has a HUGE influence on the design of the Truck. I don't think Ford cares what the 40+ people care.

Keyless is definitely a costly option component wise. They may have also been trying to reduce semiconductor usage in the vehicle, so they put it on a rarer/more expensive trim. Just guesses really, like others have suggested it might have been an attempt to push people into more expensive trims as well... I would not personally pay an extra 4k for the lariat just to get a push start though, maybe some would.

Last edited:

Eagle11

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

They had to leave something for the Lariat to entice us to spend more!
Disagree, I can think of 10 items they could make standard on the Lariat, retractable mirrors is one.
Sponsored