pxpaulx

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Man I am starting to believe that the Ford fanboys are worse than the BMW fanboys that I normally deal with.

At least the BMW fanboys recognize when bmw shits the bed on something and justify it with " is a bmw, it makes up for it with performance and handling" but the Ford fanboys won't even acknowledge any wrongs and revert to uncivilized teenagers to defend their brand regardless of facts.
I can understand why some are irked over the complaints in this thread. If Ford is trying to move to a made to order, involved customer process, that doesn't happen overnight. They are a huge multi-national corporation (all of these companies are - where the HQ is, is hardly relevant anymore). They simply can't make those pivots like a smaller or newer business is able to do. They have contractual obligations, and a large operation that spans most of the globe.

We have people with reservations, orders, VINs scheduled with a date and a somewhat broken process for following all of that on the customer end. 2-3 years ago none of that existed, and you'd be dealing with whatever dealer you chose (if you could find one bearable enough to deal with).

Fall is still 3 weeks away - coincidentally the first customer builds are supposed to be built the week prior. If vehicles are in transport, and start arriving early to mid-October, will the sky have fallen?

I mean, if we could say the grass is greener that'd be one thing too, but I see the top 3 threads over on the Santa Cruz forum by post count in the popular section are as titled below - God help us all if we have to become our own best resource for finding a Maverick 2 months from now!!!

I'll take the Ford reservation process over their 'concierge' service. I particularly felt bad for the guy whose concierge identified his specific vehicle at the dealer, only to arrive with it sold out from underneath him.

Edit - 1,000 posts in the forum users looking for help finding a Santa Cruz not with the concierge, not with dealers, with other forum members. Let that one sink in.

Ford Maverick Getting real tired of the $20k truck argument.  ..rant 1630545445074

Ford Maverick Getting real tired of the $20k truck argument.  ..rant 1630545480962

Ford Maverick Getting real tired of the $20k truck argument.  ..rant 1630545512660
Sponsored

Fish Chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Prius LE, Ford F150
I am very interested in the Maverick for the hybrid, the pricing, and the overall idea. I am not making any kind of purchase until next year. Does this meet everything I would want.... no..... but it ticks more boxes for me than anything else currently out there.
You can trivialize this issue as much as you want. I will not choose to do so.

This packaging decision is plain stupid.
Maybe so.... but one could even get a used tire and wheel (as long as it had the same bolt pattern) for like $50... or heck, free, if you looked around for a minute. Your probably never going to see it, or use it anyway, but if you need to, until you can get a new, matching tire for your Maverick, your good.
Now, for me, adaptive cruise control IS that big of a deal. I have enough other reasons why I probably won't get the Maverick I ordered anyway, but hoping my GF orders hers.... So I can still drive one, and not even have to pay for it :)

Hot Runr Guy

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Edge SEL, 2024 Lariat AWD BAP 4K
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
My issue is that I don't feel that I am getting 17k worth of upgrades,,,,, unfortunately there is no other truck that is sold in the US that would fit my need(small enough to fit through my garage doors).
I'm curious, how far off-price do you feel your $37K build is? Is it off by $2K, so maybe waiting a year or 2 when incentives (hopefully) come back, or is it off by $10K or more?

Or, asking another way, at what number do you not consider the Maverick? $45K, $50K, etc?

HRG

JBnorthTX

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang, 2013 Honda CRV
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I think it's reasonable to expect things like fewer interior color choices in a vehicle at this price point, even when the price including options is considered.

"No black interior available in the Lariat is unacceptable. " If I was at the point of finding something unacceptable, I wouldn't be here complaining. I simply wouldn't have ordered.

stick

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep wrangler 4xe; 13 vw gli; 21 maverick xlt
I see the impatient haters here bashing on Ford for constraints and wait times. I also see the Fanboys singing Fords praise for anything they do, even while people have been waiting well over a year for Broncos, 100k plus F-150s sitting in storage lots waiting on chips and watching as Ford has more and more supply problems well documented in the mainstream news with many of their vehicles with no clear answer or solution.

I get the supply problems on this and other items. What I don't often get is the response and answers from Ford and some of the fanboys. I think Ford has a hit truck on their hands with this Maverick, but I think they also may have rushed out some things too soon and not offered different choices and solutions to some of the problems they are now facing.

What I CANNOT stand is people that keep bringing up the "What do you want or expect from a $20k truck", any time Ford is called to task or we ask why certain options are not available on this truck. I ordered a $28k XL and cant get a stand alone cruise control. My friend ordered a $33k XLT and couldn't get a Sirius radio. Lack of a black leather choice in a $37k Lariat. Constraints on items that could be completed later after the purchase by the dealer instead of holding up an order indefinitely. Can we still use the "what do you expect for a $20k truck excuse when addressing any complaint"? I understand that I bought a truck from the cheaper end of their line, but I didn't buy the bottom of the barrel FWD base model.

The price range on these Mavericks go from $20k up to about $40k. That is a huge swing. In my case, my build is just over $28k. That no longer qualifies my truck as a $20k truck, at least in my mind. Very few people are buying the base model with no options. I would venture a guess the average build is somewhere around $28k. I think people who are paying this much have the right to gripe or talk about without hearing the "what do you expect for a $20k truck comment. If you want to bitch about people complaining that's fine, just don't use the $20k truck argument.

I also think more constraints are going to keep coming, I hope I'm wrong. I am not one of those constantly complaining here every 5 minutes, but I'm afraid that while someone decides to patiently wait for an item on constraint, another will pop up a month or two further down the line, further delaying the order.

As a side note, I will go on the record saying the next constraint will be a sun roof...

Rant over...
first of all, completely with you on this, at $40k, some reasonable accommodation is expected. But I have to laugh when I thought about how Ford started:

'they can have any color they like, as long as it's black'

Henry Ford (1863-1947) documented that he made the “any color so long as it is black” comment during a meeting in 1909

Sponsored

Red Ryder

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick XLT Iconic Silver
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If the desire for the Maverick and Bronco Sport are real and they take off like it appears, then competition will follow. If the competition's products are likewise appealing, and they actually fill the lots with them, ready to buy, then Ford's built-to-order model may fail them.

The argument that Ford wants to provide the buyer with "what they want" vs. what's on the lots is not solid. For instance, I wanted premium audio, which only exists on a Lariat + lux. Now, I'm stuck with the ugly metrosexual Levi's shoe seats.

Additionally, I waited a long while on a Bronco Sport order that was left in the desert. So, this new "Ford experience" is not winning me over.

FLAirGunner

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nothing yet!
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I've not ordered yet, I'm old school and prefer to purchase from a dealer lot. I also have a huge aversion to paying full MSRP for any new vehicle, never have, and don't really want to start now! Based on that and all I'm learning from all info available on-line, I'm leaning more toward waiting till the next model year and hopefully by then the supply issues will be resolved and there will be more available on the lots to see in person before buying. Also, as previously mentioned, there may be more or different options offered as the Maverick matures!

neosolidus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It has 2 or more wheels and an engine!
Engine
Undecided
ORRRRR
Get a bigger garage LOL
I have a 5 car garage, it has 3 individual 7*8 doors that after treatment trim etc are very narrow and the HOA won't allow any modifications and can't park on the driveway/street overnight.

Again I am not buying the maverick due it's low cost but because it's the only thing that would fit, if something else would fit I would buy that instead(not the SC though) since as I said before I prefer German vehicles.

Typoe

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kia Soul
I don't get being scandalized by a car company doing something silly, but can I just say it's weird to have so many people defending Ford who don't work for Ford? They're a $100 billion+ business. They aren't going to give you money or a discount for doing their PR.

Anyway, I currently drive a 2014 Kia Soul. One of the bottom trims. And it has cruise control. The thing doesn't even have a backup camera or a fancy screen, but it has cruise control. I can't think of any other vehicle I've looked at--and I don't make a lot of money, so I'm always looking at low trims--that don't have cruise control. That seems like something even most fleet buyers would want. So it's a mysterious choice to make, and one that's going to keep me out for awhile. If an old Kia is easier to commute in... they might have a problem long term if they don't fix this. The young and frugal end of the market expects these things now, and that's where they were trying to market this.

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Here's my rant.

My truck was scheduled for 10/4 after an order on 8/12.

All I did was add the spray in bedliner and hitch on 8/25, because doing this aftermarket will cost more money, making it a 28,900 truck. Ford removed my scheduled truck from production with no new ETA. You would think, #1 If it's scheduled it will get done, regardless of add-ons so long as it remains the same trim, and #2 The dealer should have the ability to tell you if making any changes will remove your truck from scheduling. Many of us are adding and removing options and the dealers can't say either way if we are improving or lessening our chance of a production date.

At this point I rather wait until I can get my hands on what I really want. The Maverick was going to be a stop gap until I can get a Bronco or CyberTruck. I have an appointment with the dealer to cancel the order if they can't get my production date back. If they ask me to keep the order, I will ask them to reduce my deposit to lower my risk of not seeing that truck this year.

Sponsored

hcforde

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Hawley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Insight, E350, Toyota Sequoia
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Changing the engine, transmission, rear axle, and suspension COMPLETELY changes its core form.

NOPE!!! if you get hit by another vehicle, no matter how you dress it up, the damage sustained will be the same. That is core!!!

Down

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick/02 Z06 Vette
Here's my rant.

All I did was add the spray in bedliner and hitch on 8/25, because doing this aftermarket will cost more money, making it a 28,900 truck. Ford removed my scheduled truck from production with no new ETA. You would think, #1 If it's scheduled it will get done, regardless of add-ons so long as it remains the same trim, and #2 The dealer should have the ability to tell you if making any changes will remove your truck from scheduling. Many of us are adding and removing options and the dealers can't say either way if we are improving or lessening our chance of a production date.

At this point I rather wait until I can get my hands on what I really want. The Maverick was going to be a stop gap until I can get a Bronco or CyberTruck. I have an appointment with the dealer to cancel the order if they can't get my production date back. If they ask me to keep the order, I will ask them to reduce my deposit to lower my risk of not seeing that truck this year.
Your dealer should've known that a change to the build, after you have a build date, would kick you out of your scheduled build date. It's a bummer but it's pretty well understood; that's why I'm missing a couple things I'd like on mine, I didn't decide I wanted em til after my production date was scheduled.

That was a darn quick date you got too. C'est la vie tho, I suppose..

Last edited:

todd

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I just feel the need to reply to all this. I got the base model hybrid plus the tow hitch and floor mats for $21k. of course my trade in which is 5k. as I wait I gain more for the down payment. I am hoping to finance around 13k for a new truck which is my first and probably only new vehicle I may ever buy. I am happy with the price point and will wait as long as it takes.

OP
OP
vezpa

vezpa

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
EMG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Too many to list.
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Here's my rant.

Remove the spray-in liner. I did and got scheduled the next week.
Sponsored