Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.rocketstem.org
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I am the founder and executive director of RocketSTEM, an educational media nonprofit working to inspire the next generation of explorers. Last fall we ordered a '23 XL Hybrid in Oxford White with the 400 watt in-cab invertor, manual rear sliding window (both options not available on '24 models), trailer hitcher receiver, spray-in bedliner, and co-pilot 360 with the full-size spare tire. The truck has been built and shipped by Ford and is scheduled to arrive in October.

Our original intent was to have some custom NASA-themed graphics installed and then to raffle it as part of a fundraising campaign. However, after researching Florida law regarding raffles, we are having second thoughts as Florida does not allow us to set a minimum number of tickets sold before a winner must be named.

The reason for posting here is to gauge any interest in doing a raffle with tickets either $20, $50, or $100 apiece. The custom graphics would be entirely optional at the winner's discretion. Is this a raffle you'd participate in potentially?

The other option we are considering is reselling it as it is once it arrives. The base price is $25,720, whereas a '24 without the sliding window and inverter comes out to $28,385. We likely offer it right around the '24 MY price.
Sponsored

Last edited:

RZ2O16

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Pilot EX & 2020 Subaru Outback Premium
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I WOULD want to participate, but I can't.

paneubert

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 XL/4K/AWD/CoPilot/CactusG/SlidingRearWindow
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I think one thing to consider is if you want to structure it in a way where a certain dollar amount buys a certain quantity of entries, with some "free" entries for the people who pay at the higher levels. It can be a lot more appealing to people if it is not 1 ticket = $20, but more like $20 gets you 20 entries, $50 gets you 75 entries, and $100 gets you 150 entries. There is no risk to you with the "pool" of total entries being much larger than the number of contestants, but it encourages people to pay more to get more "extra" entries/increase their chance of winning.

Redline

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Tremor XLT shadow black
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
My question to you would be how many tickets do you think you can sell? I assume you are tax exempt and with dealer fees, etc., let's say you get the truck for $26,000. At $20 per ticket you'd need to sell 1300 tickets to break even. At $50 per ticket, that's 520 tickets and at $100 that's 260 tickets. Can your target audience afford $100 tickets or only $20 tickets. Personally, I'd throw $20 towards a truck, but not $100. $50 is iffy. You'd have to catch me on a good day and it would help if I've been drinking a little. 😬

Sponsored

Azmig88

2.0L EcoBoost
Diamond Sponsor
First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick 2.0 Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I am the founder and executive director of RocketSTEM, an educational media nonprofit working to inspire the next generation of explorers. Last fall we ordered a '23 XL Hybrid in Oxford White with the 400 watt in-cab invertor, manual rear sliding window (both options not available on '24 models), trailer hitcher receiver, spray-in bedliner, and co-pilot 360 with the full-size spare tire. The truck has been built and shipped by Ford and is scheduled to arrive in October.

Our original intent was to have some custom NASA-themed graphics installed and then to raffle it as part of a fundraising campaign. However, after researching Florida law regarding raffles, we are having second thoughts as Florida does not allow us to set a minimum number of tickets sold before a winner must be named.

The reason for posting here is to gauge any interest in doing a raffle with tickets either $20, $50, or $100 apiece. The custom graphics would be entirely optional at the winner's discretion. Is this a raffle you'd participate in potentially?

The other option we are considering is reselling it as it is once it arrives. The base price is $25,720, whereas a '24 without the sliding window and inverter comes out to $28,385. We likely offer it right around the '24 MY price.
A sincere question:
Who, or what, oversees this raffle?
I’d spend a hundo or two in a second, but (respectfully) not if this is being done on the “honor system”

OP
OP
PriusHater

PriusHater

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.rocketstem.org
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I think one thing to consider is if you want to structure it in a way where a certain dollar amount buys a certain quantity of entries, with some "free" entries for the people who pay at the higher levels. It can be a lot more appealing to people if it is not 1 ticket = $20, but more like $20 gets you 20 entries, $50 gets you 75 entries, and $100 gets you 150 entries.
Nice idea, but in Florida, likely totally illegal. There are a plethora of rules that make raffles very risky to conduct in Florida. We can't require the "purchase" of tickets (making it hard to do what you suggested). We aren't allowed to set a minimum amount of tickets or cash taken in before the raffle ends. The drawing date and time must be set in advance. We have to give away the prize no matter what. Basically Florida lawmakers once upon a time hated the very idea of raffles (or nonprofits in general) and legislated rules in such a way to discourage holding them.

Azmig88

2.0L EcoBoost
Diamond Sponsor
First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick 2.0 Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Nice idea, but in Florida, likely totally illegal. There are a plethora of rules that make raffles very risky to conduct in Florida. We can't require the "purchase" of tickets (making it hard to do what you suggested). We aren't allowed to set a minimum amount of tickets or cash taken in before the raffle ends. The drawing date and time must be set in advance. We have to give away the prize no matter what. Basically Florida lawmakers once upon a time hated the very idea of raffles (or nonprofits in general) and legislated rules in such a way to discourage holding them.
How about something like this:
Buy a photograph of a 2023 Maverick for $20 and get a free raffle ticket as a “Thank you”
Buy 3 photographs (these make great gifts) and get 4 free raffle tickets as a “Thank you”

Adjust the numbers as you wish, but you get the idea

Pacifico

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Ford Focus
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'd participate for $20. Maybe $50, but not 100% sure

crashdumie

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
unknown
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
as i didn't read what other people wrote, did you look into...not as a raffle. but have it set to Donations for your cause. and if the donations reach over a certain amount then one lucky donatee could receive..... this way you are not actually raffleing the truck. but are accepting donnations. and the give away of the truck is for when you reach a certain milestone. you could even have smaller thing to give away when you reach smaller milestones. i am not sure what Florida law says about this

Sponsored

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Wait.... just wait a minute....

Isn't FLORIDA the BINGO capital of THE WORLD!?!?!?

Edit: Oddly enough, London, U.K. Is the Bingo capital but Florida has over 500 Bingo halls.

Oh ya. But you've got Mr. Disney hater.

Last edited:
OP
OP
PriusHater

PriusHater

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.rocketstem.org
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Wait.... just wait a minute....

Isn't FLORIDA the BINGO capital of THE WORLD!?!?!?

Edit: Oddly enough, London, U.K. Is the Bingo capital but Florida has over 500 Bingo halls.

Oh ya. But you've got Mr. Disney hater.
I know. Go figure.

OP
OP
PriusHater

PriusHater

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.rocketstem.org
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Thanks for the input everyone. We've been in contact with legal experts for raffles in Florida and are definitely leaning toward Plan B. Any variation of a "raffle" is just a nightmare to conduct in this state.

Unless that is we offer it as a prize in a bingo game! :confused:

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
So aren't raffles normally done by a donor purchasing the item,donating it, taking his deduction, raffle tickets sold, winner getting item, charity keeping ticket sales of $$$-$$$$$$$$ whatever they may be irregardless of items actual cost which would've $0.00 to the charity?

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Have a live auction.
Whatever it goes for, it goes for.

Or, there is a twist:

You can ask for "donations" of $100.

Whomever makes the last donation gets a "FREE TRUCK".

You can make as many $100 donations as you wish, trying to be last.

We just did that for Breast Cancer Research and got $11k for an iPad but each participant put in $100 to $600 something like that and the winner put in like $900. About cash value.
Sponsored

Last edited: