Gator MT Tonneau Cover - ongoing review

sgtcurry

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Palisade, Model X, Ioniq 5
Engine
Undecided
First off I want to state that I ordered the Gator MT from Realtruck and they have been great with customer service so far. With that being said, my cover came slightly damaged. The email they sent to me even states to contact Roll N Lock for warranty claims.

Install: Since my cover came slightly damaged the metal guide that the rail inserts into the cover was slightly bent and made it a little difficult to square the rails up. But in my opinion if it didn't come slightly damaged install would take maybe 40 minutes and is pretty easy to do by yourself. Also to note the brackets supposedly will not sit completely flush on all 4 sides, I torqued it down to the exact specs they call for and 3 out of the 4 dont sit flush.

Build quality: Everything seems very sold though it was damaged during shipping it seems. The spring mechanism to lock it is very very strong, I doubt someone can open it easily without the key. The cover itself slides pretty easily. No issues on the highway with it when it is closed, I dont notice any weird sounds when doing insterstate speed or excessive flexing.

Ease of Use: the included pull strap is really nice makes it really easy to use, but the spring for the locking mechanism being very very strong you have to be careful with your fingers. Overall it is easy to use.

Some other thoughts: If you want to use a tailgate pad with a mountain bike you will have to settle with 2 bikes max and they will need to be angled diagonally. I generally have bikes with Medium Frames so those with larger frames might have more issues. You will not be able to close the cover with a tailgate pad or at least not the Race face T2. This is identical in spec and dimmension to the Roll n Lock A series XT.

Ford Maverick Gator MT Tonneau Cover - ongoing review IMG_7017

This is how much space it takes up:
Ford Maverick Gator MT Tonneau Cover - ongoing review IMG_7069
Ford Maverick Gator MT Tonneau Cover - ongoing review IMG_7068

The rear rubber seals doesnt sit evenly on the tailgate, initiall I thought it would have issues with water leaking but I ran it through a car wash twice and no issues.

Ford Maverick Gator MT Tonneau Cover - ongoing review IMG_7070

I did not get any weatherproof strips, not sure if I am supposed to or not. The bulkhead I would think needs something to seal it but theres nothing.

I will update this thread when I get more info about the replacement. If you guys have any questions feel free to ask.
Sponsored

OP
OP

sgtcurry

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
Undecided
Ok UPDATE: Realtruck gave me very confusing and conflicting information. On the phone when I originally called them they told me they would send a shipping label and send me out a new unit when they got confirmation the old one was shipped back. Now on another email they are stating I need to contact the manufactuerer since it had a dent in it and claim it as a warranty issue. I think that's ridiculous since I am not sure if anything else happens down the line I will still have warranty so I am returning this.

Also of note the videos for both the Roll N lock A series XT and the Gator MT install on youtube show some rubber seal on the bulkhead of the cannister. The one I recieved is completely missing that rubber seal. I am not sure if they just forgot it or not. I checked everywhere in the box and it just does not have it. I am guessing thats the major reason why it is leaking so much outside of the shipping damage.

I am not sure what I want to do anymore. It seems like the gator MT has QC issues since I am missing things and in my opinion the packaging is pretty inadequate to avoid damage. The Retrax Pro XR is just so big compared to the Gator MT/Roll N Lock. But based on people I know who have one its a better cover.

Tetochibichu

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Thanks for the update. Did you find water in the canister or is it leaking into the bed from the side of the canister? Is that where itā€™s missing the seal in the bulkhead? Iā€™m about to buy the same cover but now have some reservations. Perhaps the missing seal is a one-off manufacture mistake and itā€™s not a product wide issue.

The retrax does have a better warranty but that canister is a bit more bulky and I think the retrax clamp will hinder the oem side rail cleats.

OP
OP

sgtcurry

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
Undecided
Thanks for the update. Did you find water in the canister or is it leaking into the bed from the side of the canister? Is that where itā€™s missing the seal in the bulkhead? Iā€™m about to buy the same cover but now have some reservations. Perhaps the missing seal is a one-off manufacture mistake and itā€™s not a product wide issue.

The retrax does have a better warranty but that canister is a bit more bulky and I think the retrax clamp will hinder the oem side rail cleats.
Itā€™s leaking into the bed from the front of the canister where it meets the back window. There is supposed to be a long weather strip there that goes across the whole width of the canister if you look at install videos. I do not have that at all so basically itā€™s just metal on metal thatā€™s bent and dented as well from shopping damage so it leaks so much water. I personally feel after taking a moment to think about the situation the oem failed qc and shipping preparation pretty badly. The packaging is clearly not enough to keep it from getting damaged in my opinion and missing a gigantic piece of weather stripping is pretty bad.
Also the weather stripping on the sliding cover itself where it meets the tailgate feels like it isnā€™t installed correctly and I would probably have problems later on. Maybe this is how they kept costs down compared to the roll n lock.

The retrax does hinder the side rail cleats as someone on Reddit has one installed. I didnā€™t have the side rail cleats with my maverick because I didnā€™t know ford moved it out of the luxury package. I picked the gator first because I thought I could do a tailgate pad (if it was an inch smaller I could) but now that I know it isnā€™t possible anyways Iā€™m going for the retrax because I donā€™t want to mess with it long term.

OP
OP

sgtcurry

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
Undecided
I took it apart to ship it back so I took better pictures.

Here is what the install videos show for the Gator MT (left) and Roll N Lock (right):

Ford Maverick Gator MT Tonneau Cover - ongoing review weather strippin

You can see there is extra weather strip that goes under that part. Mine only had foam underneth the metal and is missing that strip completely.

Ford Maverick Gator MT Tonneau Cover - ongoing review weather stripping 2

Sponsored

marspickup

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
@sgtcurry, could you please take a picture of the mounting clamps and share? I'd love to compare notes. I've tried reattaching the mounting clamps about 8 times now and the tracks are too narrow at the tailgate no matter what I do. I believe I have followed the instructions to a T.

The clamps seem to "want" to fit in that small channel on the underside of the bed rim but in that position, the rails are too narrow at the tailgate by about half an inch and the cover does not extend and retract smoothly. In fact, I have to push it open because it's too tight.

The first photo (image3) shows this "proper" fit, with the end of the clamp fitting in nicely into the channel and the clamp has screwed in a decent amount and reduced the gap between mounting clamp and the mounting point attached to the track.

The 2nd 2 photos (image7 and image6) show where the clamp would have to go if the tracks were at the right spacing, i.e., wider than the more natural fit. You can see the channel that the clamp wants to fit into in image6, but in the position the clamp is in here, it misses the channel and as a result has a bad fit and sticks out too far. The screw on 3 of the clamps barely connect, the 4th doesn't connect at all. If I try to tighten, the tracks toe in anyway.

BTW, even though the box it came in was pristine, there were several dented and bent parts in the box. Clearly it did not suffer in transit, it would have had to have been BEFORE they were put in the box. One such additional bent piece was one of the posts on the canister cover that is supposed to slide into the gap to lock in place, but it is so bent that I can't fit it in.

Ford Maverick Gator MT Tonneau Cover - ongoing review image3

Ford Maverick Gator MT Tonneau Cover - ongoing review image6

Ford Maverick Gator MT Tonneau Cover - ongoing review image7

Tetochibichu

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
@sgtcurry, could you please take a picture of the mounting clamps and share? I'd love to compare notes. I've tried reattaching the mounting clamps about 8 times now and the tracks are too narrow at the tailgate no matter what I do. I believe I have followed the instructions to a T.

The clamps seem to "want" to fit in that small channel on the underside of the bed rim but in that position, the rails are too narrow at the tailgate by about half an inch and the cover does not extend and retract smoothly. In fact, I have to push it open because it's too tight.

The first photo (image3) shows this "proper" fit, with the end of the clamp fitting in nicely into the channel and the clamp has screwed in a decent amount and reduced the gap between mounting clamp and the mounting point attached to the track.

The 2nd 2 photos (image7 and image6) show where the clamp would have to go if the tracks were at the right spacing, i.e., wider than the more natural fit. You can see the channel that the clamp wants to fit into in image6, but in the position the clamp is in here, it misses the channel and as a result has a bad fit and sticks out too far. The screw on 3 of the clamps barely connect, the 4th doesn't connect at all. If I try to tighten, the tracks toe in anyway.

BTW, even though the box it came in was pristine, there were several dented and bent parts in the box. Clearly it did not suffer in transit, it would have had to have been BEFORE they were put in the box. One such additional bent piece was one of the posts on the canister cover that is supposed to slide into the gap to lock in place, but it is so bent that I can't fit it in.

image3.jpeg

image6.jpeg

image7.jpeg
Ford Maverick Gator MT Tonneau Cover - ongoing review 89E83246-CA73-4169-9D00-BAE7750BD27E
Ford Maverick Gator MT Tonneau Cover - ongoing review 8D390C9A-CA7A-44D5-B71E-ADDFC2EC594D
Ford Maverick Gator MT Tonneau Cover - ongoing review 474EB55F-E798-41E2-993B-D4728077DDE8

Ford Maverick Gator MT Tonneau Cover - ongoing review F045694E-1265-4080-BCD4-BC2BC4B33940

My gator MT finally came in. No shipping damages or bent frames. Hereā€™s what the bracket cleats look like when I tighten them evenly. I think the bottom brackets are too long for this truck. Iā€™ll contact them to see if thereā€™s a solution or Iā€™ll just cut it myself.

Tetochibichu

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I took it apart to ship it back so I took better pictures.

Here is what the install videos show for the Gator MT (left) and Roll N Lock (right):

weather stripping.jpg

You can see there is extra weather strip that goes under that part. Mine only had foam underneth the metal and is missing that strip completely.

weather stripping 2.jpg
Got lucky no damage to mine. I ended up buying a rubber strip from Amazon. I installed it along the bulkhead and also along the two channels on the sides.

DOBTIM Adhesive Rubber Strips 1/8 (.125)" Thick X 1" Wide X 10'Long, Self Stick Rubber Sheet Non-Slip Insulation Pads Black Rubber Padding Rubber Strip Roll https://a.co/d/eCX7G5M

Ford Maverick Gator MT Tonneau Cover - ongoing review B714E703-6181-44B0-92BF-01C9D0C481C5

Ford Maverick Gator MT Tonneau Cover - ongoing review C7C2EB32-C5CD-48E3-9434-8F049B8E8ABF

Ford Maverick Gator MT Tonneau Cover - ongoing review 49887EF9-71E9-4646-A36C-37FE05F40F6B

Ford Maverick Gator MT Tonneau Cover - ongoing review 969F800F-0019-4428-AFA1-83252E061988

OP
OP

sgtcurry

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
Undecided
89E83246-CA73-4169-9D00-BAE7750BD27E.jpeg
8D390C9A-CA7A-44D5-B71E-ADDFC2EC594D.jpeg
474EB55F-E798-41E2-993B-D4728077DDE8.jpeg

F045694E-1265-4080-BCD4-BC2BC4B33940.jpeg

My gator MT finally came in. No shipping damages or bent frames. Hereā€™s what the bracket cleats look like when I tighten them evenly. I think the bottom brackets are too long for this truck. Iā€™ll contact them to see if thereā€™s a solution or Iā€™ll just cut it myself.
I remember reading the instructions and it said the bracket cleats would possibly be like that. I torqued my brackets to spec and none of them sit flush. I ended up giving up on retractable bed covers because I took a long road trip and realized I need all the space in bed for bikes and camping gear.

marspickup

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Thanks Tetochibichu. Do you have a ā€˜22 or ā€˜23? And have you measured the space between rails by the canister and at the tailgate? How smoothly and easily does your cover open and close?

I think youā€™re right, the loose mounting brackets are too long, depending on arrangement they barely catch the screw and one will never catch.

my measurement by the canister is maybe 1/8ā€ too narrow, but at the tailgate itā€™s more like 5/8 too narrow no matter what I try. When Iā€™ve tried to open and close, the cover resists. I have to push the cover open, itā€™s so tight.

my hypothesis is maybe ford changed the ā€˜23 model slightly but enough that the Gator design doesnā€™t work. Would be interesting to find a gator my owner with a ā€˜22, which is why Iā€™m asking what year your Maverick is.
89E83246-CA73-4169-9D00-BAE7750BD27E.jpeg
8D390C9A-CA7A-44D5-B71E-ADDFC2EC594D.jpeg
474EB55F-E798-41E2-993B-D4728077DDE8.jpeg

F045694E-1265-4080-BCD4-BC2BC4B33940.jpeg

Sponsored

Tetochibichu

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I remember reading the instructions and it said the bracket cleats would possibly be like that. I torqued my brackets to spec and none of them sit flush. I ended up giving up on retractable bed covers because I took a long road trip and realized I need all the space in bed for bikes and camping gear.
Youā€™re right. I just reread the instruction and missed the torque settings. I was mainly relying on YouTube. Did you go with a soft roll up cover?

Tetochibichu

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Thanks Tetochibichu. Do you have a ā€˜22 or ā€˜23? And have you measured the space between rails by the canister and at the tailgate? How smoothly and easily does your cover open and close?

I think youā€™re right, the loose mounting brackets are too long, depending on arrangement they barely catch the screw and one will never catch.

my measurement by the canister is maybe 1/8ā€ too narrow, but at the tailgate itā€™s more like 5/8 too narrow no matter what I try. When Iā€™ve tried to open and close, the cover resists. I have to push the cover open, itā€™s so tight.

my hypothesis is maybe ford changed the ā€˜23 model slightly but enough that the Gator design doesnā€™t work. Would be interesting to find a gator my owner with a ā€˜22, which is why Iā€™m asking what year your Maverick is.
I do have a MY2023. I havenā€™t done any measurements. It is slightly tight but not enough to get stuck. Perhaps youā€™re tightening it too much on one side?

Have you tried loosening all your cleats and slowly screw them in evenly? Partially thread one and move on to the next one. Before completely tightening, close the tail gate, pull the cover until itā€™s locked and then crawl in there to tighten the bolts. This may prevent the rails from tapering in when tightening.

Make sure you have the tail gate closed when pulling the cover. You donā€™t want it sliding off.

OP
OP

sgtcurry

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
Undecided
Youā€™re right. I just reread the instruction and missed the torque settings. I was mainly relying on YouTube. Did you go with a soft roll up cover?
I went with the Truxedo Sentry CT hard roll up with the elevate rails. I can remove the slats and have a totally open bed or roll it up and still use a tailgate pad. Won't be as secure but I will have to live with that I guess. I did actually like the gator cover except the water leaking and shipping/packaging damage issues that 2/3 of us had. If the Maverick was a 6" longer to get it to a 5" bed I would have the retractable all day.

marspickup

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I do have a MY2023. I havenā€™t done any measurements. It is slightly tight but not enough to get stuck. Perhaps youā€™re tightening it too much on one side?

Have you tried loosening all your cleats and slowly screw them in evenly? Partially thread one and move on to the next one. Before completely tightening, close the tail gate, pull the cover until itā€™s locked and then crawl in there to tighten the bolts. This may prevent the rails from tapering in when tightening.

Make sure you have the tail gate closed when pulling the cover. You donā€™t want it sliding off.
one problem I have is, depending on how I have the tracks oriented, at least 1 screw will barely catch, and one will not catch at all. I haven't tried with the tailgate closed, I will try that next time (though I've packed the box up for now).