Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Just saw this online and wanted to share. Interesting info I didn’t know

⛽ TIPS ON PUMPING GAS THAT WILL SAVE YOU $$$

“I don't know what you guys are paying for gasoline.... but here in California we are paying up to $5.75 to $7 per gallon. My line of work is in petroleum for about 31 years now, so here are some tricks to get more of your money's worth for every gallon:

Here at the Kinder Morgan Pipeline where I work in San Jose , CA we deliver about 4 million gallons in a 24-hour period thru the pipeline.. One day is diesel the next day is jet fuel, and gasoline, regular and premium grades. We have 34-storage tanks here with a total capacity of 16,800,000 gallons.

1️⃣ Only buy or fill up your car or truck in the early morning when the ground temperature is still cold. Remember that all service stations have their storage tanks buried below ground. The colder the ground the more dense the gasoline, when it gets warmer gasoline expands, so buying in the afternoon or in the evening....your gallon is not exactly a gallon. In the petroleum business, the specific gravity and the temperature of the gasoline, diesel and jet fuel, ethanol and other petroleum products plays an important role.

2️⃣ A 1-degree rise in temperature is a big deal for this business. But the service stations do not have temperature compensation at the pumps.

3️⃣ When you're filling up do not squeeze the trigger of the nozzle to a fast mode If you look you will see that the trigger has three (3) stages: low, middle, and high. You should be pumping on low mode, thereby minimizing the vapors that are created while you are pumping. All hoses at the pump have a vapor return. If you are pumping on the fast rate, some of the liquid that goes to your tank becomes vapor. Those vapors are being sucked up and back into the underground storage tank so you're getting less worth for your money.

4️⃣ One of the most important tips is to fill up when your gas tank is HALF FULL. The reason for this is the more gas you have in your tank the less air occupying its empty space. Gasoline evaporates faster than you can imagine. Gasoline storage tanks have an internal floating roof. This roof serves as zero clearance between the gas and the atmosphere, so it minimizes the evaporation. Unlike service stations, here where I work, every truck that we load is temperature compensated so that every gallon is actually the exact amount.

5️⃣ Another reminder, if there is a gasoline truck pumping into the storage tanks when you stop to buy gas, DO NOT fill up; most likely the gasoline is being stirred up as the gas is being delivered, and you might pick up some of the dirt that normally settles on the bottom.

6️⃣ Note: If the pump repeatedly shuts off early, it could be a sign of a problem with the vapor recovery system, such as a clogged carbon canister.”
Sponsored

Vols44

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Edge
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Pennies turn into dollars quickly. Topped off my tank after seeing Sam's Club at the same price ($4.29) as regular stations which never happens. Costco is my mainstay and it was $4.02 today.

Clarkdonbran

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Great advice! Pipeline in SJ!? Learn something new every day.

Egz

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid Lariat, 1967 Fairlady
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Unfortunately, while most aren't false, they are at best half-true, and really has no impact on the wallet. If you want to save money, driving slower is the biggest factor (sadly)

1-2: Ground temperature doesn't increase that rapidly, and the amount of fuel expansion is minimal (1% increase over a 15 degree delta)
3: Will vary by state, as not all states do vapor recovery
4: Evaporation is based on temperature and pressure. A lower fuel level does not change air pressure above the fuel level. Not to mention the fuel tank is a closed system, so its not like fuel vapors are constantly being removed.
5: They have filters to remove particulate matter

Randy H.

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick & Civic
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Great advice! Pipeline in SJ!? Learn something new every day.
Yep, part of that pipeline runs over the Sierra Nevada mountains along Interstate 80, through Reno, NV and terminates at Naval Air Station Fallon, NV (Home of the real Top Gun). Used to work on that base.

Sponsored

stoptothink

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 VW jetta
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Unfortunately, while most aren't false, they are at best half-true, and really has no impact on the wallet. If you want to save money, driving slower is the biggest factor (sadly)

1-2: Ground temperature doesn't increase that rapidly, and the amount of fuel expansion is minimal (1% increase over a 15 degree delta)
4: Evaporation is based on temperature and pressure. A lower fuel level does not change air pressure above the fuel level. Not to mention the fuel tank is a closed system, so its not like fuel vapors are constantly being removed.
This. All these factors are only partially true, dependent on a few different factors. Even if they were all true, unlikely to make a noticeable difference in your fuel spend, even with $5/gallon gas (here in Utah). Just to make myself feel better, I do try to fuel earlier in the morning and rarely let the tank get below 1/4 full, but driving slow, not accelerating hard after stops, and other basic "hypermiling" strategies are still by far the best way to be more efficient with fuel use and save $ at the pump.

Last edited:

Dudley

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Grand Cherokee
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
... but driving slow, not accelerating hard after stops, and other basic "hypermiling" strategies are still by far the best way to be more efficient with fuel use and save $ at the pump.
I don't know if the MY has this since I don't have mine yet, but pay attention to what you are being told your mpg is and you will see the sustained speed your vehicle likes best. I have a 2003 Grand Cherokee with a 4.0 and according to my computer I get 2-3mpg better at 55-60 than at 70-75. That does not mean I drive at 55-60 in a 70, but here in the Indianapolis area with the speed limit being 55 on the belt highway (465) that is almost always packed and most everyone, even the police, do at least 70, I get to 55-60 and get in the middle lane and turn on cruise and do just fine as everyone zoom by me, and often because of congestion those who zoom past but have to slow down and then slam the gas to the floor to cut off someone to get around slower traffic, if they get off at the ramp 10 to 15 miles away I get off at there are times they are waiting only a few cars ahead at the same traffic light I am and both of us make it thru, and I saved money! Add that up over a month, and ...

huunvubu

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Best advice I can give is if you live in or near a city that has a Sam's Club or a Costco is get a discounted membership using Groupon and save 30-45 cents per gallon on each fillup.

On my recent vacation MPG stats from 12 days 2804 mile vacation trip in my Maverick Hybrid XLT I filled up at Sam's Club in Saint Louis, two times in Cedar Rapids, once in Memphis, once in Texarkana and finally in Lewisville TX near my home in Coppell.

I paid $25 for my current 1 year membership to Sam's Club and got a free Rotisserie Chicken ($5 value) and a free Veggie Tray ($10 value) so my actual membership cost really was only $10.

The trick to getting a New Sam's Club Groupon discount membership is let the current one expire then in about 2-3 weeks sign-up for a new one when the latest Groupon discount becomes available.

On my above vacation trip I put in 50.382 gallons at the various Sam's Clubs and saved $20.15.

NJBob

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick, 2003 MR2, 2019 Forrester, 1969 Z/28
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

The only thing I follow on this list is not filling up when a truck is filling their tanks. Stirs up junk. Esp at a station that does not pump much gas.
Sponsored