Sponsored

FX4 or not for driving paved roads 98% of the time?

Nw_adventure

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Element/ Toyota Highlander
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
True, but that is before you compress the suspension. I would bet on seeing that pipe at least flattened after the first rough ride. I've seen it too often.
It could use more of an upswept bend after the mid/muffler-
Sponsored

pxpaulx

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Ouch! That exhaust pipe is just asking to be K-O'd. No off-roading for me.
On the ranger I'd seen some people do a muffler delete and have the exhaust re-routed to the side just before the rear tire - any reason we can't do the same with the Maverick? The bonus being a loud exhaust of course...

AngeloInSC

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda CX-5
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
On the ranger I'd seen some people do a muffler delete and have the exhaust re-routed to the side just before the rear tire - any reason we can't do the same with the Maverick? The bonus being a loud exhaust of course...
Sure their is a reason. Your local Smokey.

pxpaulx

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

Tbolt

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' EcoSport SES, 22' Lariat Lux FX4 Eco Mav
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I have the FX4 package ordered on mine. It was probably a waste due to the other packages I have on mine, but I want to use it to go off road with a small pop up camper and thought it was a better setup for those options at that price. Probably would have been just fine without it, but, eh.

Sponsored

Ron Neal

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sold Ranger
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I don't know about muffler delete on the Ranger but the side exhaust most seen is a parts bin option from Ford or Roush and has mufflers but a more sporty sound (if thats possible with a 4 cyl):rolleyes:.

UberGadgetFreak

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
03 Marauder, 21 Bronco, 22 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Honest question - why? the muffler delete? Noise laws?
For some states, there are various laws from noise to emissions, to general exhaust equipment requirements. For example, my state law states:

§ 20-128. Exhaust system and emissions control devices

(a) No person shall drive a motor vehicle on a highway unless such motor vehicle is equipped with a muffler, or other exhaust system of the type installed at the time of manufacture, in good working order and in constant operation to prevent excessive or unusual noise, annoying smoke and smoke screens.

(b) It shall be unlawful to use a "muffler cut-out" on any motor vehicle upon a highway.

For other states, this site provides a state-by-state listing. Some don't care though.
https://www.semasan.com/resources/exhaust-noise-laws-state#

ledger9427

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Corolla, 2022 Maverick XLT EB
When I placed the order with the dealer I told them to add the FX/4 package.
I couldn't find the option from the Ford build site either
You have to go down and select 2.0 ecoboost before the option pops up as one of the packages. For some reason on the first page where you select trim level and it has the slider for engine option, it always defaults back to hybrid once you enter the page where you can add options.
The off-road package uses a slightly lower gear ratio. Will improve torque and give you a bit more grunt, but with a slight hit to MPG. Can’t think of the actual numbers at the moment. I’ve had local dealer offers to sell me an XLS and a Lariat with FX4. Turned ‘em down. A muddy or snowy back road is the most extreme I would ever see, and those only occasionally. Not worth the long term mileage trade off. even a mile or two per gallon will add up over the life of the vehicle. It has been mentioned many times that this is not a serious off-road pony. I think they will sell a lot of FX4 packages to big EGOs.
I don’t think people with big Ego’s buy mini trucks… that’s what diesels are for lol

Also, FX4 has stock final drive ratio. Only tow package is different.

nathanchrisman

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
On the build and price tool, I built a 2.0 AWD Lariat with tow package. Is the FX4 package just overkill ?
I don't plan on going off road, mudding, or rock climbing. it will be on paved roads 98% of the time.
Also what exterior color works best with the blue & brown leather interior ? I'm leaning towards Carbonized Gray.
Throw some ideas at me.
The value of the FX4 package depends on a couple things I think:
1. How you plan to use it.
2. The trim level you want.
3. The other packages you are getting, specifically the 4k tow package.

For my build, Lariat with 4k tow package, the FX4 did not make sense. Most of the goodies you get from FX4 are already included on the Lariat (6.5" screen) and 4k tow (better radiator and trans cooler). The only thing FX4 would add to my build is skid plates, drive modes, and stickers. As a matter of fact, I would not like to give up the Sport mode like you do with the FX4.

The skid plates and drive modes will only slightly improve what you can do (go from a 5/10 to a 5.5/10 capability), and probably not affect what you WILL do. On the other hand, those FX4 stickers might let you roll up the Rubicon like a boss!

I would rather spend the $800 on something else. :)

Sponsored

AngeloInSC

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda CX-5
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Honest question - why? the muffler delete? Noise laws?
Both noise and an old reg that doesn't make a lot of sense on modern vehicles, spark arresting/fire hazzard. Check the CA laws.

Nw_adventure

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The value of the FX4 package depends on a couple things I think:
1. How you plan to use it.
2. The trim level you want.
3. The other packages you are getting, specifically the 4k tow package.

For my build, Lariat with 4k tow package, the FX4 did not make sense. Most of the goodies you get from FX4 are already included on the Lariat (6.5" screen) and 4k tow (better radiator and trans cooler). The only thing FX4 would add to my build is skid plates, drive modes, and stickers. As a matter of fact, I would not like to give up the Sport mode like you do with the FX4.

The skid plates and drive modes will only slightly improve what you can do (go from a 5/10 to a 5.5/10 capability), and probably not affect what you WILL do. On the other hand, those FX4 stickers might let you roll up the Rubicon like a boss!

I would rather spend the $800 on something else. :)
Also adds Monotube shocks / Upgraded rear end- Without Lariat the 6.5 inch screen is a pretty nice upgrade.

Lyle

First Name
Lyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dakota
Also adds Monotube shocks / Upgraded rear end- Without Lariat the 6.5 inch screen is a pretty nice upgrade.
To me the extra $800 with the XLT model was an easy trade off compared to the extra thousands to move into the Lariat to get the few things I found appealing in the Lariat model.

Nw_adventure

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
To me the extra $800 with the XLT model was an easy trade off compared to the extra thousands to move into the Lariat to get the few things I found appealing in the Lariat model.
I hear that but more comfortable seats, acoustic windshield, Signature lights are the three main upgrade points to me but not in that color scheme unfortunately. XLT Lux to Lariat Lux is almost $5k - Just to add heated seats / push button start - yowsa

nathanchrisman

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I hear that but more comfortable seats, acoustic windshield, Signature lights are the three main upgrade points to me but not in that color scheme unfortunately. XLT Lux to Lariat Lux is almost $5k - Just to add heated seats / push button start - yowsa
Agreed. The Lariat Lux is overpriced for me. Heated seats is about the only thing that I'm gonna miss from that package. It was XLT Lux vs Lariat non-lux that was my decision point. The features are not identical, but they are of roughly equal value to me. The interior is what pushed me to Lariat. :)
Sponsored