Sponsored

FX4 or not for driving paved roads 98% of the time?

CASD57

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Hyundai Santa Cruz
Engine
Undecided
I opted for XL w/4K tow AWD….I didn’t need the stickers, skid plates as my truck will be 99% city,
with the tow you get things for longevity of the truck, with FX4 you get that plus added conveniences which I didn’t need on my daily driver.

pxpaulx

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I have no intention of going off road. I got the FX4 solely for the looks. I got white and with the lower rims and bumper covers the truck looks like a fleet truck. The better rims and exposed tow hooks look better. Along with the bigger dash screen (XLT here) it was worth it for me.

Much like everyone else here, buy what you like and can afford. I do agree that the FX4 package doesn't seem to do much for actual off roading abilities.
My thoughts exactly - it has a nice set of features for a reasonable price. I like the upgraded screen, really like the wheels and am also going to attempt to use a tow hook for a license plate mount. The skid plates are a decent bonus for general road protection against salt and dirt as well.

Big Kahuna

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Falkens do not come with the FX4. Those are Pirelli Scorpions.

Wildpeaks are only on the $795 wheel upgrade.
I just put the same tires on a SUV and they are amazing!

Reactions: bgn

Sponsored

Rodbolt100

First Name
Rodney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 ford maverick
Looked over every inch of the Ford site and I see no way of ordering an Fx4. Is there a trick to that? FWD and AWD are the only choices IF you get the 2.0L with eco boost
When I placed the order with the dealer I told them to add the FX/4 package.
I couldn't find the option from the Ford build site either

Nw_adventure

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Element/ Toyota Highlander
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
You will also drop a couple MPG, which will add up over time
AWD / TOW rated for 22/29 - FX4 should not change mileage. FWD only 1 mpg better unless I'm missing something -

clippedwings

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Transit Connect
The off-road package uses a slightly lower gear ratio. Will improve torque and give you a bit more grunt, but with a slight hit to MPG. Can’t think of the actual numbers at the moment. I’ve had local dealer offers to sell me an XLS and a Lariat with FX4. Turned ‘em down. A muddy or snowy back road is the most extreme I would ever see, and those only occasionally. Not worth the long term mileage trade off. even a mile or two per gallon will add up over the life of the vehicle. It has been mentioned many times that this is not a serious off-road pony. I think they will sell a lot of FX4 packages to big EGOs.

HPR

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The off-road package uses a slightly lower gear ratio. Will improve torque and give you a bit more grunt, but with a slight hit to MPG. Can’t think of the actual numbers at the moment. I’ve had local dealer offers to sell me an XLS and a Lariat with FX4. Turned ‘em down. A muddy or snowy back road is the most extreme I would ever see, and those only occasionally. Not worth the long term mileage trade off. even a mile or two per gallon will add up over the life of the vehicle. It has been mentioned many times that this is not a serious off-road pony. I think they will sell a lot of FX4 packages to big EGOs.
lmao, I doubt many big egos will be buying a compact pickup. I ordered fx4 for the wheels. The 4k package changes the drive ratio not the FX4.

AngeloInSC

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda CX-5
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
On the build and price tool, I built a 2.0 AWD Lariat with tow package. Is the FX4 package just overkill ?
I don't plan on going off road, mudding, or rock climbing. it will be on paved roads 98% of the time.
Also what exterior color works best with the blue & brown leather interior ? I'm leaning towards Carbonized Gray.
Throw some ideas at me.
Just like your 98% paved road figure, 98% of the people ordering a FX4 package will never seen a muddy field, sink hole or rocky surface. So unless you are just going for the "look" and willing to deal with the downside of the "off road" package, I would stick with the standard or towing setup. This will handle that 2% just fine.

Sponsored

AngeloInSC

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda CX-5
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The rear end with the FX4 is pretty stout for this little trucklet-As far as me @ 178 LBS jumping on the tow hitch and testing the bounce :)

FX4 rear end.jpg
Ouch! That exhaust pipe is just asking to be K-O'd. No off-roading for me.

Last edited:

Champ

Banned
Banned
First Name
ML
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Miatas, Z06, Outback
The off-road package uses a slightly lower gear ratio. this is not a serious off-road pony. I think they will sell a lot of FX4 packages to big EGOs.
I thought the FX4 package was the best deal from Ford and bet it will be double the price in 2023. Depending on my "EGO", I hope to do an RX ASAP with my AWD FX4, after a tire/wheel change, then, another day do a paved track event after another tire/wheel change using my old 2016 Focus RS's 19" track tires/wheels and yes, I'll drive the Mav. to those events. Why people with no egos buy an enthusiast vehicle and never use them to the fullest? Not many rock places in Florida but a lift kit and taller wheels? It might be fun if the driver knows its capabilities. [and can contain his "EGO"!] Gotta go pack and leave soon
Ford Maverick FX4 or not for driving paved roads 98% of the time? rs racin
for a Sebring track day . I'll use my Mustang GT for that. Next one ??
Sponsored