Sponsored

FX4 or not for driving paved roads 98% of the time?

bgn

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

This little truck is not by any stretch an off-road vehicle so the FX package is more for looks although the falken tires are nice
Falkens do not come with the FX4. Those are Pirelli Scorpions.

Wildpeaks are only on the $795 wheel upgrade.
Sponsored

Fx4hOok

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick 2.0 FX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Hello there

ledger9427

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Corolla, 2022 Maverick XLT EB
6.5” screen on XLT, black wheels, skid plates, tow hooks, larger radiator and larger cooling fan for $800?! Great deal in my opinion. I wish they left the drive modes alone… but oh well 🤷‍♂️

I bet the 6.5” screen is going to be worth more than $800 in resale value alone.

notfast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Frontier PRO-4X Lux FFV
Engine
Undecided
Is the FX4 package just overkill ?
I don't plan on going off road, mudding, or rock climbing. it will be on paved roads 98% of the time.
Overkill? Nah. I actually think it's a bargain. The make-or-break point for me are the drive modes.

FX4 removes Eco and Sport and instead adds Sand and Mud & Ruts. I would much rather have Eco and Sport for the 98% of the time the truck spends on the slab than have Sand and Mud & Ruts for the 0.1% of the time it's off road and could utilize it.

I drove late-model ('18-'20) F-150s for several thousand miles (rentals) and the drive modes in those were no gimmick. Sport would hold gears nearly to redline even with only moderate throttle. It also shifted no higher than 8th gear (10-speed auto) and cancelled the auto-start-stop.

Eco was the opposite. The truck would shift as quickly as possible to top gear. I'd be going 40mph in 10th gear with the engine doing just above idle speed. The throttle became much less responsive and the auto-start-stop became much more aggressive.

Best answer, IMO. I started with a max budget and created my build.
I agree. But I'm not as smart as you and started with a wish list, which then became a reality check.

The "wish" build is an XLT/FX4/4k tow/Lux at $31,615. I still think it's a bargain for what is included.

Coming back to Earth, the "reality" build is an XLT/Hybrid/Lux at $26,785. Nearly $5,000 or 15% less expensive, and it's more logical since I can count on one hand the number of times I shift to 4H in a year in my ol' 16mpg Nissan Frontier. I'm still holding my breath for a hybrid AWD.

Sponsored

pxpaulx

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Overkill? Nah. I actually think it's a bargain. The make-or-break point for me are the drive modes.

FX4 removes Eco and Sport and instead adds Sand and Mud & Ruts. I would much rather have Eco and Sport for the 98% of the time the truck spends on the slab than have Sand and Mud & Ruts for the 0.1% of the time it's off road and could utilize it.

I drove late-model ('18-'20) F-150s for several thousand miles (rentals) and the drive modes in those were no gimmick. Sport would hold gears nearly to redline even with only moderate throttle. It also shifted no higher than 8th gear (10-speed auto) and cancelled the auto-start-stop.

Eco was the opposite. The truck would shift as quickly as possible to top gear. I'd be going 40mph in 10th gear with the engine doing just above idle speed. The throttle became much less responsive and the auto-start-stop became much more aggressive.

I agree. But I'm not as smart as you and started with a wish list, which then became a reality check.

The "wish" build is an XLT/FX4/4k tow/Lux at $31,615. I still think it's a bargain for what is included.

Coming back to Earth, the "reality" build is an XLT/Hybrid/Lux at $26,785. Nearly $5,000 or 15% less expensive, and it's more logical since I can count on one hand the number of times I shift to 4H in a year in my ol' 16mpg Nissan Frontier. I'm still holding my breath for a hybrid AWD.
That was probably a smart move! Knowing how much I love(d) my 2019 Ranger and that the 2.0EB will drive similarly, I couldn't help getting the larger engine. I also went FX4 as I think it looks the best and is a good value for content in the package, whether I take it offroad or not! I don't tend to like sport modes or eco - my foot can do the talking :) Sport is good for rare occasions where you want to give it, but eco is no different than light driving. My wife's previous nissan rogue had an eco mode that was so bad it put us both in dangerously close calls on more than one occasion...not fun!

CoryDallas8123

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi A4, Chevy Chevelle SS, 2022 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Lol. I did basically the opposite. Started by looking at the base I had to pay and then asking is each trim level and option above that worth it?
I just built what I wanted and said “ok, glad it’s not 40k.”

pnorwood54

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ALTO BLUE XTL AWD-4K-FX4-360
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
never know when you'll have to drive across a field when the police are chasing you

tinner2002

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick*
Agreed, $800 is a deal for the FX4 package. Love what it offers and the looks sold me on it too.

$800 isn’t much when a dealer charges you $300 to program that 6.5 inch cluster you bought from a wrecked FX4 in 2024 off of eBay for $450 that you installed yourself after 8 hours of cursing in a 100 degree garage in July because it won’t display the mileage correctly until the dealer unlocks it....and you still have to track down a clean set of FX4 wheels, new tires for those wheels, skid plates, tow hooks, shocks, etc. And when you asked a question about the mileage issue on the cluster on social media, someone replies back “should have ordered the FX4 package, it was only $800 or trade it in on a FX4” just to add salt to the wound.

Seen the above situation a thousand times as I typically buy enthusiast vehicles (mustang, camaro, wranglers/Jeep’s, 4Runner, DSM’s, etc.) and been there myself. So when I placed my order, I made sure I added the FX4 because I always liked the FX4 packages on Ford trucks and didn’t want to regret not having it later to save a few dollars upfront. The truck for me is for family fun and utility on a budget so FX4 package fits that niche market space nicely as well.
Looked over every inch of the Ford site and I see no way of ordering an Fx4. Is there a trick to that? FWD and AWD are the only choices IF you get the 2.0L with eco boost

Sponsored

Scooter66

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford F-150 Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Looked over every inch of the Ford site and I see no way of ordering an Fx4. Is there a trick to that? FWD and AWD are the only choices IF you get the 2.0L with eco boost
FX4 is a package that is available on XLT and Lariat and not XL. If you still can’t find it, I don’t know what to tell you.
To others in this thread; mentioning of rock crawling is kind of dumb. The Maverick will not be able to rock crawl. Perhaps you’re getting confused with trail driving. Even steep trails with deep ruts are going to be a problem for the Maverick with only 8.6” of ground clearance and small approach/departure angles.

OP
OP
SFA

SFA

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500
FX4 is a package that is available on XLT and Lariat and not XL. If you still can’t find it, I don’t know what to tell you.
To others in this thread; mentioning of rock crawling is kind of dumb. The Maverick will not be able to rock crawl. Perhaps you’re getting confused with trail driving. Even steep trails with deep ruts are going to be a problem for the Maverick with only 8.6” of ground clearance and small approach/departure angles.
I exaggerated a few activities to really drive home the fact that my Maverick will never leave the pavement. To mention that somebody Is dumb is a little insensitive.
Thank you everybody who pointed out FX4 or not.

Nw_adventure

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Element/ Toyota Highlander
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
never know when you'll have to drive across a field when the police are chasing you
Exactly a nice peaceful / graded out field next to a slow moving river. Glad the Ford crew let them drive over one rock on the off-road course -)

psuarmy

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
On the build and price tool, I built a 2.0 AWD Lariat with tow package. Is the FX4 package just overkill ?
I don't plan on going off road, mudding, or rock climbing. it will be on paved roads 98% of the time.
Also what exterior color works best with the blue & brown leather interior ? I'm leaning towards Carbonized Gray.
Throw some ideas at me.
I have no intention of going off road. I got the FX4 solely for the looks. I got white and with the lower rims and bumper covers the truck looks like a fleet truck. The better rims and exposed tow hooks look better. Along with the bigger dash screen (XLT here) it was worth it for me.

Much like everyone else here, buy what you like and can afford. I do agree that the FX4 package doesn't seem to do much for actual off roading abilities.
Sponsored