First Name
Vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy,dodge, ford,vw,honda
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
My build is simple I only ordered xlt with fx4 and 4K. Even if I was never going to to tow ( I will but will be super rare occasion) I would have got 4K just for the added coolers and better acceleration from the gearing.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Mike

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma Ranger F350’s
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Ok. So which gearing do you get if you order both.

assuming towing.

Dun4791

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy,dodge, ford,vw,honda
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Ok. So which gearing do you get if you order both.

assuming towing.
Yes towing. The fx4 gear is the default 2.0 gear.

Ford Maverick FX4 Gearing and Radiator and Cooling Vs 4K Tow Gearing and Radiator and Cooling 04F5F6C1-CE0B-47EC-9657-FAB298D82E2D

Last edited:

Moby

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hummer H3 sprinter van 65 chevy 11 Doka syncro
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Are you sure about that? I just think it's gimmicky the way it's been marketed by Ford. I've heard it referred to by many as a skid plate package with skid plates but as far as I can tell it just replaces the plastic under engine tray with a flimsy aluminum piece. Maybe you can enlighten some of us with photos of the skid plates so there's less confusion, maybe more people would go for the FX4 package, the only thing that kind of seems worth it to me is the tow hooks but considering the fact that they found a way to mount a tow bar I think it's not long until an aftermarket solution comes for the tow hooks on the Maverick. The drive modes have already been added with Forscan, I think the black wheels are ugly and they're working on adding hill descent control with Forscan so unless the skid plate package is significantly more than just the one aluminum piece I'd personally spend the $700 on aftermarket solutions when they come out instead of the FX4 package
I see you have an XL . I also have an XL 4 k tow on order . If you really look ,It would cost you or me $ 4,000 dollars to move to a FX4 package . Well that's in Canada . Personally I feel a XL with 4 K tow could be more capable then a XLT with FX4 and no 4 K tow . Yes you don't have tow hooks on the front , but the hitch on the back is probable a stronger recovery point . And we can add a skid plate I am sure . The lower gearing and transmission cooler should give it the advantage .

pxpaulx

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I see you have an XL . I also have an XL 4 k tow on order . If you really look ,It would cost you or me $ 4,000 dollars to move to a FX4 package . Well that's in Canada . Personally I feel a XL with 4 K tow could be more capable then a XLT with FX4 and no 4 K tow . Yes you don't have tow hooks on the front , but the hitch on the back is probable a stronger recovery point . And we can add a skid plate I am sure . The lower gearing and transmission cooler should give it the advantage .
Same in the US - FX4 is not an option for an XL build if I recall correctly.

Sponsored

FakeCowboy

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Subaru WRX
There are a couple of users who have posted oil change videos - there are at least 2 main pieces to the skid plates (a smaller forward piece, and a larger piece). I believe you are correct they are just a swap in for the standard plastic, they certainly aren't made for rock crawling!
So typical marketing jargon BS. I would think they would offer a plate to protect the driveline and rear diff at that price.

Moby

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hummer H3 sprinter van 65 chevy 11 Doka syncro
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

So typical marketing jargon BS. I would think they would offer a plate to protect the driveline and rear diff at that price.
Normally there would be at least 3 . One for the motor ,one for the transmission/transfer case and one for the gas tank . We don't have a transfer case so should be at least two .

Paulyz

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.churchbelltoweradventure-suspense.com
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I got both along with Lariat. So the FX4 wheels/tires trump the Lariat but which gearing and Rad and cooling do you get or are they more than likely identical

FX4 Heavy Duty Radiator and Engine Fan

4K Upgraded radiator, upgraded cooling fan,
I believe with the 4K towing package you also get a transmission cooler & 7 pin connector. Besides the heavy duty fan & radiator & gears. Also brake controller.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Mike

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma Ranger F350’s
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Mainly wanted the Sand mode on FX4 for deep powdery snow and not interested in hacking the ECU

some amazing vids on how sand mode can pull you through deep stuff when Slippery mode gets you stuck.

Paulyz

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.churchbelltoweradventure-suspense.com
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I got both along with Lariat. So the FX4 wheels/tires trump the Lariat but which gearing and Rad and cooling do you get or are they more than likely identical

FX4 Heavy Duty Radiator and Engine Fan

4K Upgraded radiator, upgraded cooling fan,
p.s. Forgot, also brake controller.

Ford Build

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy pickup
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
my guess is that they are the same thing.
If identical, then the buyer selecting both options is getting hosed because he is paying full price for both…the same as a buyer who only picks the 4K Tow package.
Sponsored