FX4 but no sport mode?

Oceanminded

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda CX-5, Jeep Grand Cherokee
I like the added options that come with the FX4 package and feel it is worth the $800 option but am bummed it doesn't come with 'sport' mode since after hearing so many positive reviews regarding its peppiness. Would be good to know how much you loose in performance by not having the sport mode option with the eco boost.
Sponsored

slashy42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
I'm not sure how much you lose, but I have been very impressed with my FX4 W/ 4K Tows ability to take off from the line. It's no muscle car by any stretch, but it's pretty peppy to me.

bgn

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Pure speculation inside:
Since the drive modes are toggled by a single button vs. individual buttons for each mode, the sport mode may be able to be added via Forscan. Likewise for the FX4 only modes for a non-FX4.
Time will tell once someone is able to dig into it.
That's my hope. Getting rid of Eco and Sport seems incredibly dumb.

altomav

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Keven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick, '71 GMC
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I like the added options that come with the FX4 package and feel it is worth the $800 option but am bummed it doesn't come with 'sport' mode since after hearing so many positive reviews regarding its peppiness. Would be good to know how much you loose in performance by not having the sport mode option with the eco boost.
Keep the FX4 and add the Tow package that comes with the Upgraded Drive Ratio (3.81:1) which makes it peppier off the line. I would like to see some speed comparisons to a Tow/FX4 package equipped in Normal mode to a Lux equipped AWD in Sport mode.

Sponsored

Decayed

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
yes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a car
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Pretty sure the modes are all just software anyway. Maybe there is some limitation that prevents including eco and sport, who knows? I'd like to know how "slippery" mode performs vs the mud/ruts/sand modes. It would be surprising if there were really all that much of a difference. Could they really make more of an impact than simply switching to bigger, better AT tires?

ScottSG62

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Pure speculation inside:
Since the drive modes are toggled by a single button vs. individual buttons for each mode, the sport mode may be able to be added via Forscan. Likewise for the FX4 only modes for a non-FX4.
Time will tell once someone is able to dig into it.
I had a 2019 Mustang GT, base model. It only came with normal and Sport modes. Using Forscan I enabled Sport+, Track, Drag Strip, and Snow/Wet. Should be the same for the Maverick. Just need to figure out which values to Change.

FirstFord

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Jetta
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

BigT

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
But where do you get this...Forskin?
probably need to back to the hospital where it was removed and see if they kept it, if not maybe someone can donate theirs?

Sponsored

olderbudwiser

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Lincoln Corsair, 2023 Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Not sure on Mav sport modes, usually what happens is throttle opens quicker in relationship to pedal angle. Pressure moved up, shifts feel more firm.
Shift points increased couple hundred RPM feels faster holding gear longer.

I would also guess if using premium fuel it may change spark and fuel management to be more aggressive.

Decayed

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
yes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a car
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Not sure on Mav sport modes, usually what happens is throttle opens quicker in relationship to pedal angle. Pressure moved up, shifts feel more firm.
Shift points increased couple hundred RPM feels faster holding gear longer.

I would also guess if using premium fuel it may change spark and fuel management to be more aggressive.
That's interesting. I though all it did was change shift points, but with all this computerization I guess they can tweak a lot more.

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It appears to me that the design made years ago and at that time some group chose a configuration to meet anticipated needs and the current number of drive modes was deemed adequate. So that portion of function was allocated a certain amount of memory and processor time. Even if an additional processor could be added for some functions it would have to be synchronized with other processors. When they wanted to add a different drive mode they probably had no choice but to substitute one drive mode for a less (relatively) important one. Look for more drive modes in 1-3 years even if they have to buy a cpu that has more processors, ram memory, or whatever.

olderbudwiser

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Lincoln Corsair, 2023 Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
That's interesting. I though all it did was change shift points, but with all this computerization I guess they can tweak a lot more.
Yes a lot of things / fun stuff one can do if you have access to internal code and engine / transmission parameters

Not as fancy looking but a little similar to some of the scenes in Fast and Furious where the actors have laptops running, changing engine fuel and spark on the fly.
Sponsored