XLT
First Name
Jim
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 Mountaineer
Trim
XLT
Please break out the hair dryer and remove that dealer emblem. It completely takes away from the nice look of your tailgate unless they are paying YOU to advertise for them.
Yep, hopefully tomorrow
Advertisement

A Dodge that drives Fords

XLT
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Taurus Ford Ranger
Trim
XLT
I'm unironically saying you must be an expert driver. Would absolutely not recommend a rwd vehicle in WI winters without snow tires for anyone who isnt. Def not something i want to deal with either
I don't know if I would say expert. But I drove my 2002 Mustang GT for 12 years in Wisconsin with high performance tires. I'd pass 4x4s in a blizzard never wrecked it. Plus it had the same battery from the factory when I sold it. Go Motorcraft! LoL

Rickydragon

XLT
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2.0 Eco AWD Lux Pack 4K Tow Shadow Black
Trim
XLT
You do get more but you also have better resources and manpower to clear the snow. Not to mention the slush, sleet, and freezing rain that we get. I’ll take my AWD over your FWD every time. Everybody has their thoughts and opinions ours just differ in this case. I am more than happy to pay the extra and have. I love my Maverick and wouldn’t change a thing.

DB9E7B07-F393-4BCC-A153-7DD412670D15.jpeg
I’m not saying front is better. I also ordered AWD. An AWD with snows are far superior then Front no questions about it, but unless you have snows AWD with all season tires will still slide in cold weather.

JKinPA

XLT
First Name
Jim
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 Mountaineer
Trim
XLT
I’m not saying front is better. I also ordered AWD. An AWD with snows are far superior then Front no questions about it, but unless you have snows AWD with all season tires will still slide in cold weather.
Agreed
I put Falken Wildpeak trails on mine. They have some bite and look awesome.

James

XLT
First Name
James
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Ford Escape
Trim
XLT
I'm not 100% clear on this and I'm hoping someone can explain it in leman's terms. What's the difference between AWD, Fx4, 4x4 drivetrains. Why does a Fx4 truck say "off-road" on the side.

Rickydragon

XLT
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2.0 Eco AWD Lux Pack 4K Tow Shadow Black
Trim
XLT
If you go with front wheel drive I would recommend snow tires.

Darnon

Lariat
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Fusion Hybrid
Trim
Lariat
I'm not 100% clear on this and I'm hoping someone can explain it in leman's terms. What's the difference between AWD, Fx4, 4x4 drivetrains. Why does a Fx4 truck say "off-road" on the side.
Typically the difference is 4x4 has a transfer case that is manually/electronically able to be engaged and disengaged by the driver. AWD usually is less directly controllable by the driver and possibly engaged all the the time, although newer designs may have a computer controlled clutch to automatically switch from 2 to AWD as needed.

FX4 is just Ford's off-road feature tuned package. There's also 2WD FX2 packages on the Ranger and F-series. Usually features like upgraded shocks, skid plates, possibly locking differentials, better cooling, and all-terrain tires.

stoptothink

XLT
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 VW jetta
Trim
XLT
If you go with front wheel drive I would recommend snow tires.
Having 4 drive wheels does nothing to help you turn or stop in the snow. If you live in an area that experiences regular snow, doesn't matter what or how many drive wheels there are, tires are BY FAR the most important part of the equation.

Sjbuck2021

XLT
First Name
Scott
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Frontier /2018 Acura RDX
Trim
XLT
I have the solution...of it's snowing stay home!

OP
OP

leap3535

XLT
First Name
Lea
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Renegade
Trim
XLT
If you want even more layman's terms-
AWD acts like FWD until it senses you slipping then kick power to the back wheels too.
4x4 is always on and all 4 wheels have separate power.
That's as far as I've understood it

Bob The Builder

First Name
Butch
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Ford Ranger
Trim
Undecided
I live in Vermont. I would never own a 2 wheel drive vehicle anymore. Never. Of course up here we have 9 months of winter and 3 months of lousy skiing so YMMV in this regard.

Oddzball

XL
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick 2022 XL
Trim
XL
Man i drove in like Blizzard conditions in a FWD in Iowa for years. Its called Snow tires. FWD is fine in normal street driving in the snow. You arent "OffRoading" for crying out loud.

samesk8r

XLT
First Name
Robert
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT Hybrid
Trim
XLT
Frankly tires have more impact in most snowy situations. AWD is better, hands down but it's not THAT much better in snow.
FWD with dedicated snow tires will be 90% the performance, or more, of most AWD with snows can do on the same tires.

Atisko

XL
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan rogue
Trim
XL
I'm totally fine with getting snow tires. I just really hate the snow and cold so I'm terrified of getting really stuck 😂
Most driving situation snow tires are better than four-wheel-drive.

Oddzball

XL
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick 2022 XL
Trim
XL
Most driving situation snow tires are better than four-wheel-drive.
I almost never used my 4x4 on my old truck because it had manual lock hubs and it was too much bother for me to get out and lock them. And in all that time, years and years, never got stuck because studded snow tires are the best invention ever.

Advertisement

Advertisement