First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camry
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I went fwd eb because no way to get a hybrid. But I really do mostly highway and a little extra power there is good. Funny thing I live in maine and really don't need awd good snow tires always worked
I was really surprised when I read snow tires and fwd actually do better than awd with all season tires... Is this your experience?
Sponsored

OP
OP
JASmith

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I was really surprised when I read snow tires and fwd actually do better than awd with all season tires... Is this your experience?
"Do better" is subjective, but if you mean safety wise, for sure!

Its common sense really. If you are going too fast into a turn your foot probably isn't on the gas right? If something jumps in front of you and you need to stop, ditto. If you're cruising on the highway and start to slide, again no throttle. FWD vs AWD can really only be a factor when you're accelerating, but most of the dangerous events you'll encounter in low traction winter conditions aren't about accelerating faster but braking or maintaining directional control so you don't hit what you're trying to avoid or fly off the road. And with FWD when you overcome traction when accelerating you just plow, so aren't going to enter a spin more easily as you would with RWD, and because FWD cars tend to be so front heavy the difference in getting "stuck" isn't as pronounced.

AWD with lower traction tires will usually way out accelerate FWD with higher traction tires, but the higher traction tires will always out turn and out brake the lower traction tires in all other scenarios.

Of course AWD with winter tires is the winner, but not everyone is made of money as there's a huge price delta in the Maverick jumping up to AWD.

Now if you're not talking about safety, and rather just all out performance or fun, as shown here with FWD w/ winter tires vs AWD with all seasons, the winter lap times are virtually identical with the FWD winning by such a small difference that its insignificant as the AWD could accelerate way faster but it couldn't turn or brake as well balancing things out:

Guv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Engine
Undecided
I disagree to a point.
The OEM intake/exhaust are designed for max engine efficiency but also for sound suppression. A cone filter w/a smooth sided intake will flow faster (more efficiently) but will also trumpet the intake noise out. Exhaust as you can imagine has the same effect.
At part throttle, we aren't talking about racing or high load diving here, I didn't think.

davidalexispr

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT AWD FX4 4KTow
I have browsed youtube and online reviews, and haven't seen any comparison of FWD vs AWD Ecoboost acceleration times, brake boosted and regular launch.

Anyone have seen any or have a FWD model and would like to do a test? I'm also curious how the torque steer is on FWD models. I'm leaning towards a FWD Ecoboost, if I were to order from Granger, but the 31st last day to order is coming up quick!
There's a video on Youtube racing a FWD Eco vs an AWD Eco with 4KTowing. The AWD beat the crap out of the FWD but it was more related to the 4KTow gear ratio, not because of AWD.

OP
OP
JASmith

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
There's a video on Youtube racing a FWD Eco vs an AWD Eco with 4KTowing. The AWD beat the crap out of the FWD but it was more related to the 4KTow gear ratio, not because of AWD.
Yeah, I saw, and it was weird because it kept pulling on the FWD one well after the launch where traction would be limited. While gearing makes sense historically, the FWD one still has 8-gears so I can't imagine 1st and 2nd are all THAT tall. The FWD one also had huge aftermarket wheels I think, so who knows how heavy they were, and I can't recall if they brake boosted which makes a big difference on a AWD vs FWD launch but less so on a normal takeoff like you would do on the daily.

More of an academic question for me anyway though since with these gas prices I'm set on a hybrid.

Sponsored

Mikknj

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mikk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT Luxury CO360
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
There's a little torque steer but minimal... I end up chirping the tires from a quick start with the steering turned a bit, but otherwise I don't feel it.
I saw a guy on YouTube - yesterday who just did a video on the subject. 6.8s 0-60? But chirped the tires on hard acceleration

Redwun

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I subscribe to Car and Driver and this months issue featured a full write up on the Mav. One thing they noted in their words was "The optional turbo 2.0 liter pulverizes the front-drivers tires, so be sure to spec all-wheel drive.".
Take that for whatever it's worth. They didn't go into anymore detail.
I have a 2022 XLT 2.0 Eco and yes torque steer is very heavy and wheel hop is as bad as you want to make it!
I’m getting about 24.5 mpg and I love this truck! I tow a small camper in state, and use my wife’s 2018 Explorer 3.5 Eco for “long trips” (my Mav mpg drops to 13). The only issue I have is the speakers, they are junk. I am currently installing new front door speakers with Pioneers and installing a 12”. 500W RMS sub under the rear seat. The head unit is good, which baffles me at the choice of speakers on Fords part, but no biggie!
Heres the bottom line, I got a very inexpensive small truck that has everything I want and need & get 24.5 mpg. The mechanicals have all been on previous models, and they have a good record, so it wasn’t much of the “new model” issues.

rlhdweman

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
64 Caddy Fleetwood,73 Caddy Sedan,75 Eldorado Conv
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I have a 2022 XLT 2.0 Eco and yes torque steer is very heavy and wheel hop is as bad as you want to make it!
I don't get any torque steer, but the wheel hop really caught me by surprise from a FWD vehicle, turns out it's the stock tires. For winter I got a set of steelies that have the stock tires on the rear & I put Continental Crosscontact LX25's on the front, excellent in wet & snow, but no howl, they aren't that much different from the stock tires in tread, but just enough with alot of extra little sipes+ the tread is 50% deeper when both are new. When it got warm & roads were dry & clear I found these tires don't wheel hop when spinning & this is really weird, they don't squeal either.
Sponsored